Neocaridina tankmates - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Neocaridina tankmates

Hello all,
I am planning a nano planted tank (exact size TBD) and the tank is going to be centered around my shrimp. I am not 100% sure, but I'm likely going to go with blue velvet shrimp. My question is regarding tankmates, as I am thinking of adding a few small fish. Right now I'm thinking of having a group of Chilli Rasbora and an Asian Stone Catfish. Would these fish go after the shrimp (and potential fry, as I'm hoping to breed and expand my shrimp population) or would everyone be able to coexist? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:00 AM
Planted Member

Pretty much OTO cats are the only shrimp fry safe friends. Other then that you should be planting the heck out of it and you will have survivors. Even the chilly rasboras will eat baby shrimps. Pretty much anything and everything that can and will eat baby shrimp.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Agreed. In a nano, they're going to find a much larger percentage of them too. There isn't much free-swimming that doesn't have a sucker mouth that won't eagerly consume shrimp fry.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you for the replies. Will the fish that I mentioned (Chilli Rasbora and an Asian Stone Catfish) be ok with the adult shrimp? Thanks
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:20 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheyp View Post
Thank you for the replies. Will the fish that I mentioned (Chilli Rasbora and an Asian Stone Catfish) be ok with the adult shrimp? Thanks
Chilli Rasbora are fine with assault shrimp.
IM NOT SURE ABOUT ASIAN CATFISH

Diet:[censored] Omnivorous. High-quality sinking pellets, plants, and freeze-dried or frozen meaty foods will be readily accepted. These fish will eat most types of fish food, but they love live food such as bloodworms and daphnia. They are nocturnal, so they will likely feed at night for the most part.

https://aquaticarts.com/products/asi...e-mini-catfish

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:45 AM
Planted Member

Pretty much the same description for most any fish besides OTOs lol.

So far I have kept these shrimpers with my juliis, CPDs, ember tetras, OTOs in my 40. All the adult shrimp are fine and come out to feed and run around.
My other tank has a betta and OTOs with some amanos which do fine. Wouldnt reccomend the betta as he doesnt like certain colors of shrimpers.

Im sure that little catfish that gets about an inch long will be "fine" its just like everything if you want to breed the shrimps a dedicated shrimp tank is in order however just a display of some shrimps then you have several options that can coexist for the most part. (micro rasboras, small tetras, CPDs, dwarf corys, regular corys (in my experiencec) to name a few).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Those fish are labeled as peaceful, but considering the size, I can see it going after fry if they're really hungry. I have neon and ember tetras in my main tank and they'll go after anything that's floating cause they think its food. I guess it really comes down to how many you have in there and how big the tank is going to be.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:51 PM
Algae Grower

I keep Chili Rasboras with neocaridina and the shrimp breed like crazy. I see the babies casually swiming in the open waters. They do also have plenty of cover.

I also keep shrimp in other tanks with micro fish such as gelius barbs ,various micro danios and green fire tetras, but these fish all will prey on baby shrimp, given the opportunity.

Chili Rasboras do not in my experience.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode