Is it safe to add amanos? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is it safe to add amanos?

This is my first planted tank, and so I have been asking noobish questions since I started in March, and here's another for the hive mind.

My tank is a 15" cube with an Aquaclear 20 filled with rings, a few of which were taken from another tank. I did a dry start for about 6.5 weeks, and then flooded the tank about 5 days ago. I have since done a couple of complete water changes, the last of which was 2 or 3 days ago. My tests today say the pH is around 6, the KH 2, and the GH 4. There are no nitrites, and a barely detectable level of nitrates. Is it safe to add a couple of amanos yet? They could help clean up the melting leaves as my plants adapt to being submerged, yes?

Plants I used: Alternanthera reineckii 'mini', Rotala indica, Helanthium vesuvius, Hydrocotyle tripartita, Echinodorus tenellus, Java moss, Christmas moss, Spiky moss, and Frogbit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Based on the fact that you have low pH, your KH should be 0. This means you should be using RO/distilled water with GH only mineral if you aren't already. If you are, then something is leaching KH into the water... which could be rocks, substrate, or?

Unless of course, you want a higher pH, and you are intentionally adding KH into the column... if this is so, then each time you do a water change, you'll have fluctuating water parameters until the substrate can no longer absorb the KH out of the water column and then the pH will slowly rise. These fluctuating water parameters are not ideal for a shrimp tank, although amanos should, theoretically speaking, be fine.

What's the ammonia in tank?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:24 PM
Planted Member

The first question you need to ask yourself before adding animals to your tank is: "Am I cycled?"

If you aren't cycled then the a swer is no. Look up cycling via ammonia drops.

Now as for invertebrates, hardness of the water is vastly important to them so they can make their shells. You should be asking yourself: "What is my gh, kh, calcium and magnesium levels?"

If these arent ideal the the a swer is no.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 06:49 PM
Planted Member

Amanos live happily even with dGH = 1. Unlike the majority of plants.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

No.

What are your Ammonia levels?
What is your substrate? (I must assume your Ammonia comes from Aquasoil) in which case its not safe for 2 - 3 weeks.
All shrimp prefer stable water parameters and cycled conditions.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode