What kind of shrimp are these - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
What kind of shrimp are these

My lfs said that these are amanos but I'm not too sure now that they're under better lights. They don't have the markings. I don't really care what kind they are as long as they eat algae and won't reproduce.

The biggest is about an inch and the smaller one is about 2/3 inch. Smaller one is the one on top of the log.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4043.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	359.1 KB
ID:	881313  

Name:	IMG_4048.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	881315  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
The second picture looks more like Amanos than the first, the first picture does not look like they have the markings, like the little dots on the little guys, the second one...kind of. Unless they are like fat glass shrimp... I know of skinny ones all the times that I have seen them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank

RAOK CLUB #0
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 04:59 AM
Planted Member

I think these are amanos - just very small ones. Markings on the sides will become more visible once they'll grow up.
Thelongsnail likes this.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I was hoping they were too small to have the markings but I couldn't find anything on Google about it. I'll keep them for now and hope they survive and grow up. I only got them today but they started foraging right away after I acclimated them. They're both still alive after 12 hours so hopefully they'll keep going.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:44 AM

amano and they wont breed and they eat algae
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 11:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Caridina sp. that are *NOT* amanos. For the most part, they are being sold at Petco as amanos. Only seen one so far at an LFS (well, not local to me... but not a chain store, either)

True amanos are more slender and less "sparkly". (these guys can be "sparkly" - they are more dotted than amanos) Some of these do turn brown.

I do have a couple of comparison photos but not sure where one of them is ATM. (either lost on my phone or on a computer) Here's the one that was at an LFS in tank with amanos. She is the obviously brown/"striped" shrimp on the filter.

Plenty of other people are picking up these guys as well.... mostly from Petco, too. They also breed "like" amanos, but I do not know what the preferred salinity is for these guys. You can view more pictures of this species (whatever it is) in the following thread.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...no-shrimp.html
varanidguy likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 02:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Caridina sp. that are *NOT* amanos. For the most part, they are being sold at Petco as amanos. Only seen one so far at an LFS (well, not local to me... but not a chain store, either)

True amanos are more slender and less "sparkly". (these guys can be "sparkly" - they are more dotted than amanos) Some of these do turn brown.

I do have a couple of comparison photos but not sure where one of them is ATM. (either lost on my phone or on a computer) Here's the one that was at an LFS in tank with amanos. She is the obviously brown/"striped" shrimp on the filter.

Plenty of other people are picking up these guys as well.... mostly from Petco, too. They also breed "like" amanos, but I do not know what the preferred salinity is for these guys. You can view more pictures of this species (whatever it is) in the following thread.

Are they workhorses like true amanos?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 03:38 AM
Planted Member

Ill have to take some photos of my amanos when I get home (if they cooperate). I have 3 that look like the standard amano but one big ol thing that is that brownish color without any dots on the side that I can see.

It eats and forages like the amanos, could very well be one not sure.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

Whatever they are they did a good job de-browning my wisteria over night. The tips of the leaves were starting to get covered. My snail is too big to clean the plants I have.

Why the site turned my pic sideways...no idea
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4049.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	324.4 KB
ID:	881383  

Zoidburg and varanidguy like this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 06:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Are they workhorses like true amanos?
I honestly have a hard time growing algae... even when I literally leave the lights on 24/7 and overdose with ferts and stuff... no CO2. The best algae I can grow in a tank is the green algae that grows on the glass. I can't even get a "healthy" green covering of it, either....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Ill have to take some photos of my amanos when I get home (if they cooperate). I have 3 that look like the standard amano but one big ol thing that is that brownish color without any dots on the side that I can see.

It eats and forages like the amanos, could very well be one not sure.
Quite possible. I've only seen one turn completely brown, but I think she's faded back to a slightly transparent brown color... only in pictures though. Mine range from translucent (like OP) to the brownish hue... still translucent. In store, they've also been red and blue hued, or even a white opaque. (certain death in other shrimp species, dunno about these guys?)
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 02:43 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Quite possible. I've only seen one turn completely brown, but I think she's faded back to a slightly transparent brown color... only in pictures though. Mine range from translucent (like OP) to the brownish hue... still translucent. In store, they've also been red and blue hued, or even a white opaque. (certain death in other shrimp species, dunno about these guys?)

Well she/he just molted last night and was out and about this afternoon so took a pic. Guess its a regular amano, just pretty big and turns a darker brown before molting. Still not sure as it doesnt look like any of the other amanos Ive got.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:

That's a caridina babaluti you got there most likely. Rainbow type probably and they'll breed in freshwater.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Well she/he just molted last night and was out and about this afternoon so took a pic. Guess its a regular amano, just pretty big and turns a darker brown before molting. Still not sure as it doesnt look like any of the other amanos Ive got.

Same species as the "not-amanos"!!! Here's one thread where you can browse pictures of some others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananariot View Post
That's a caridina babaluti you got there most likely. Rainbow type probably and they'll breed in freshwater.
I thought so, too... or, well, I thought they were Malaya/Malayan. However, offspring have not survived in freshwater... in fact, they survived longer in saltwater than they did in freshwater. Have not been successful raising them to adult-hood, yet.

One shrimp expert (Chris Lukhaup) says they are Caridina villadolidi, another (Silane Dilwyn Tng) says they are Caridina formosae and a third person is saying Caridina typus.
Quint likes this.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:47 PM
Planted Member

Picked up a few more of these guys (I think) at petco. They whole tank of "amanos" were or atleast looked like the not-amanos. There were maybe 2 or 3 out of the tank that looked like classic amanos.

May grab a few more as I need a algae crew in my 40B but not sure yet.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The males of this species can look a lot more like amanos than the females do... but depending on the batch, Petco can have both species in the tank. As far as I can tell, they wont breed together, so although they are similar in appearances, they are completely separate species.

Tags
amano, identification, shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode