Shrimp and HARD water - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zoidburg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Shrimp and HARD water

Ok, just for discussion reasons, lets say that I have a tank at home and it has been fully cycled for a month or two. Ammonia is 0, Nitrites are 0 and Nitrates are 20ppm for our discussion. It is a planted tank with around 25 plants in it growing well.

It has 11 Neon Tetras, and about 5 guppy's, both fancy and endlers. But now I am thinking about adding shrimp to it. Nothing really major, maybe around 10 to 20 Red Cherry Shrimp. I know that they can explode in the tank and I may soon have a couple hundred in there.

Here is my concern. I have very hard tap water here in Frisco Texas. Like really high compared to what most people on here say they have. Here are the results from the API liquid test.

Hi Ph test: 8.2
Kh: 8 Drops (~142 ppm)
GH: 16-17 drops (~284.8 ppm)

Yeah, no reason to buffer anything here. Here is the water testing report for March 2019 from the City. https://www.friscotexas.gov/ArchiveC...File/Item/2537

So is this too hard for Shrimp? I know that I can mix it with RO water but honestly that is a pain since I am running about 190 gallons of water in the system. Buying 100 gallons of water a month for four water changes would start to be a pain. One of the reasons that I did not like having a saltwater tank that much. The plants apparently love it as they seem to be growing like mad. But I don't want to buy shrimp and have them die because of the water. If it comes to having to add RO water to the tank then I may just keep the shrimp in a nano tank or in a 20 gallon long that I am sitting up.

So what say y'all? Yae or Nae on having shrimp in water this hard.

Tim

Tim Sapp
Frisco TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 06:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

neocaridina shrimp will live in your water, no issue.
amano shrimp will live in your water, no issue
neocaridina shrimp refer cooler water, neons and guppies not so much.
noens and guppies will eat your neocaridina shrimp, especially the smaller ones. You population is likely to survive, IMO it will grow roughly 50% slower than with no fish.
They will hide a lot when there are fish present.

No need for RO water, they will survive in water that hard. Also, buy more than 10-20. Buy like 50 from a fellow hobbyist - survival when moving tanks can be low.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 06:18 PM
Algae Grower

Your water looks very similar to ours. We're on a well in Northern Illinois. Even after running through a softener and an iron filter, our numbers are crazy. Our Bloody Mary shrimp have been thriving in the planted, unheated (stays around 70 in the room it's in) tank they're in. I'd say you're fine unless you want something specific that is more sensitive.

Also, we have a larger (heated) planted tank with a betta and 10 dwarf cories. Everyone does just fine without doing anything special to the water.

I do add Seachem Prime when doing water changes (even though our water is not chlorinated). I probably don't even do that - it's just a habit, I guess!

Yae to shrimp. And, pictures please!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Go with amanos.

If you want Neos, then put them in a 5-20g tank with inert substrate, RO water and GH/KH minerals.

Sure, they may be able to live in water that hard, but you'll have better success finding a USA breeder and matching their water parameters than just dumping any ol' shrimp into a tank and expecting it to survive simply because someone says they've had success with similar setup.
symstep likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:19 AM
Algae Grower

I have a similar setup in a heavy planted 300l, as well as there reasonably fed the neons and guppy's don't care for the neos even when in plain sight.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode