2Likes
  • 1 Post By Zoidburg
  • 1 Post By beanbag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
picking the right shrimp

so i have had cherrys in the past and currently have very low grade crs in a tank at home. with that being said i still have like zero shrimp knowledge...

I just set up a fluval spec III on my desk at work. It is currently stocked with Hornwart, a local moss that someone gave me, and cholla wood. (and pond snails and scuds that were hitchhikers). It has all of the stock Fluval spec parts and running the fluval shrimp\plant substrate.

What is a got source to use to find\learn\decide what shrimp will do best in my tank? I was just told about LRB and Flip aquatics on youtube so i have been watching videos.

Thank you all for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 12:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you are using RO/distilled water and GH minerals, then low grade crystals or tigers.

If you aren't using RO/distilled water with GH minerals, then it's hit or miss on what would do well in the tank.

If you want something of 'higher grade' in regards to crystals or other low pH Caridina, then I would recommend a different substrate.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
If you are using RO/distilled water and GH minerals, then low grade crystals or tigers.

If you aren't using RO/distilled water with GH minerals, then it's hit or miss on what would do well in the tank.

If you want something of 'higher grade' in regards to crystals or other low pH Caridina, then I would recommend a different substrate.

So i would have to supplement my RODI water with GH minerals, or test my tap water and see how hard\soft it is and go from there?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
In my experience, Caridina shrimp almost require remineralized RO/DI to breed and start colonies. It seems the higher the grade, the more demanding the shrimp too. I've managed to get some to survive acclimation and live in my tap (which is soft and neutral) but in every case I've gotten them to make new shrimp, I used RO and special substrates. Neos on the other hand, seem to reproduce just fine in a wide range of tap water. If you aren't simply enamored with Caridina varieties, I'd go with Neos hands down.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
In my experience, Caridina shrimp almost require remineralized RO/DI to breed and start colonies. It seems the higher the grade, the more demanding the shrimp too. I've managed to get some to survive acclimation and live in my tap (which is soft and neutral) but in every case I've gotten them to make new shrimp, I used RO and special substrates. Neos on the other hand, seem to reproduce just fine in a wide range of tap water. If you aren't simply enamored with Caridina varieties, I'd go with Neos hands down.
I am not set on what type of shrimp i am going to get yet, neo or non neo. Since i have black fluval substrate i was thinking maybe a yellow or orange type would really stand out, but so would the CRS, i just need to figure out my water and what i would have to use to re-mineralize my RODI water. I would prefer something "all in one" and simple to mix\control. Since this tank is at my work i am only brining in a gallon jug of water with me in to use for top off, i plan on doing small water changes every few weeks. but the more simple the better.

Again thank you all for the help.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Neos died in my tap water... offspring faster than the adults. If you really want to learn how to keep shrimp, then don't use tap.

It's not recommended to use tap on a buffering substrate since *most* tap water contains KH... and KH raises pH. Buffering substrates work to lower pH by absorbing KH and releasing tannins/humic acid/fulvic acid. Each time you add KH to the tank, you are causing instability in the water parameters. Shrimp prefer stability.

https://www.discobee.com/blogs/news/...ter-parameters

There are plenty of remineralizers out there on the market for shrimp. Powder forms tend to be the most common and cheap ones although if you want something that works even faster and don't mind spending more, there are liquid versions. (powder does not take long to dissolve!) TDS meters come in handy when remineralizing RO/distilled water.

I have Salty Shrimp GH/KH for when my shrimp tank had inert substrate in it. I now have Aqualex (SL-Aqua) GH since the substrate is lowering the pH of the water. Registered the tank at about 5.6 pH and it's mostly Caridina inside the tank. Same shrimp were in the tank when it was inert substrate.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:31 AM
Algae Grower

My opinion is don't Richard around with tap water and use RO water + salty shrimp remineralizer.
SR52012 likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
My opinion is don't Richard around with tap water and use RO water + salty shrimp remineralizer.
For Neos?? I mean, if they die in yours or you just have bad tap, by all means switch to remineralized RO but Neocaridina struggling in tap is just not my experience. I've been keeping cherries for the better part of a decade and have 5 tanks of different varieties currently, all using tap. That said, I can't get Caridina to breed in tap for love or money. Tap water covers a wide range, so maybe some folks out there just have bad water for them?

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:42 PM
Algae Grower

The main problem with tap water is that it can suddenly change on you one day, and then everybody dies.
My own tap water fluctuates from 35 to 150 TDS.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode