Shrimp attacking/eating fish - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Shrimp attacking/eating fish

I recently added some new fish to my community tank. It previously held a few danios a panda garra and a handful of Amano shrimp. The new fish were 5 harlequin rasboras and 3 endlers.

Within the first two days 2 of the harlequins had died. The next night one of the endlers had also disappeared but I couldn’t find the body. It came from he LFS with a nipped fin so I assumed the stress of the new tank had killed it.

However last night we noticed another Endler was missing. The night light had already came on so it made looking into the tank hard. But then I noticed the largest shrimp. To begin with I though it was fighting with another shrimp but then I realised it was dragging the Endler up the log to the natural wood holes they like hiding in.

I had to pull the dead fish from its grasp with my aquascaping tweezers. And have since put the last remaining Endler in my other tank which contains nano fish.

Has anyone else come across this before? Could the shrimp have killed the two rasboras as well? It’s pretty big but I always thought they were peaceful. All the other fish are fine and healthy so I don’t think any of the water parameters have shifted.

Fish are friends not food
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 03:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Without seeing the amanos actually go after the fish, it's hard to say.

I wont say they didn't kill the fish... but I also wont say they did... not until you see it for yourself. Some amanos can/do after living fish. It's uncommon, but it happens.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 06:53 PM
Algae Grower

What I have noticed, shrimp, as well as other fish will prey on tank mates if there isn't enough food. Scavengers like amano's and such prefer opportunity plus they graze constantly so without over feeding I would strive to make sure there is more food accessible to them wherever they like to feed. Adjust your water parameters accordingly to compensate for the extra waste and you should do fine.

I'm sure it's just basic fish keeping but that's what I have noticed. This is obviously different depending on the species of fish of course. Hunger will bring out the beast in anything.

Yeah... I name my fish...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<-- "Dot"

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Amano shrimp can strip a phish carcase to the bone in an evening.
Maybe phish died and amano are just cleaning up?

Amano shrimp will also tag team on small snails to extract them frim their shells.
Nlewis likes this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply’s.

I would like to think that they were just scavenging rather than attacking although I am still unsure why 4 fish have died in a week since being put in the tank. It is a very well cycled tank with lots of live plants so the extra waste of the added fish which are very small, shouldn’t have been an issue. This also gives lots of grazing for the shrimp on top of pellets that are dropped in regularly to supplement their diet. So don’t think they’re starving.

I have been medicating the tank (with shrimp safe product) since Thursday in the hope that illnesses that may be causing it will be dealt with.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:09 AM
Planted Member

Sometimes fish just die. Usual suspect to me is store just got them day or day before so they just went through big transfer shock. Then you come along day after or even same day and snatch them up and take them home and put them through another transfer shock.

If fish is weak enough almost any invertebrate will become a opportunistic predator and take advantage of it.

A big healthy Amano is a formidable adversary to small weakened fish.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think that may be the case.

The largest amano shrimp is huge. It's had the nickname of 'the beast' for a while although that changed to 'the monster' after seeing him drag the body away

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 02:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

FWIW, a friend of mine reported that she had Amanos that harassed and killed her otto's.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

WOW!
Someone I spoke to today said that they don't normally keep fish that are smaller than the shrimp in the same tank, as they may become pray, but an otto isn't exactly a nano fish!

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgmeehan View Post
WOW!

Someone I spoke to today said that they don't normally keep fish that are smaller than the shrimp in the same tank, as they may become pray, but an otto isn't exactly a nano fish!

Yeah, and Iíve asked around, apparently amanos getting aggressive is fairly common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 08:48 PM
Planted Member

IMHO this is mostly an urban legend. Fish die. Fact. Newly bought fish die especially frequently. Another fact. Otos also tend to die easily for many. One more fact. Amanos do like to eat dead (and dying, or otherwise impaired) fish. This is also a fact. And then someone sees amano carrying away a fish body - "killer amano" legend is born...
DaveKS likes this.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polar View Post
IMHO this is mostly an urban legend. Fish die. Fact. Newly bought fish die especially frequently. Another fact. Otos also tend to die easily for many. One more fact. Amanos do like to eat dead (and dying, or otherwise impaired) fish. This is also a fact. And then someone sees amano carrying away a fish body - "killer amano" legend is born...

According to her, she watched the shrimp actively swim after the fish and the Otto was trying to get away from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 01:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

There's a video or two on Youtube of amanos going after living fish... and I've seen it in person... again though, I wouldn't say it's the norm.
varanidguy likes this.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:19 PM

Some Shrimp are Aggressive

I also have personally seen ghost shrimp (cheap feeder kind) attack my betta. Not at all what I was expecting when I tried introducing them.... Thought it would go the other way... I thought he was getting fin rot, until I saw him swimming all over with a shrimp on him. Removed the shrimp and he's looking better than new.
varanidguy likes this.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:56 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkobscure View Post
I also have personally seen ghost shrimp (cheap feeder kind) attack my betta. Not at all what I was expecting when I tried introducing them.... Thought it would go the other way... I thought he was getting fin rot, until I saw him swimming all over with a shrimp on him. Removed the shrimp and he's looking better than new.

Ghost shrimp are mean... Fearless too.

Yeah... I name my fish...

<-- "Dot"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode