40 Gallon vs 5 Gallon Breeding - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
40 Gallon vs 5 Gallon Breeding

Hello,
I just recently cleared out my 40 gallon tank and gave everything a good clean while also purchasing a sponge pre filter for my eheim canister filter and also purchasing an air sponge filter, I currently have 10-15 Blue Dreams in a 5 Gallon tank and was planning on keeping them in there until i have a larger population then adding them to the 40 gallon BUT I have heard that it may be more successful for breeding if i put them in the larger 40 gallon tank with more stable parameters, better filtration etc. Obviously there are a lot of factors other which cause shrimp breeding success or failure but i would love to hear all your opinions on what you think i should do.

40 Gallon will contain pool filter sand, monte carlo, java moss, subwassertang, japan clover and a red lotus
5 Gallon currently has monte carlo and java moss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 02:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Before I got into shrimp keeping (aka before taking over care of shrimp), I got to see a lot of successful breeding in a 90+ g setup with pool filter sand, 2 Fluval canisters and a couple of heaters. Due to incorrect water parameters however, the offspring never survived to adulthood and the adults slowly died off. These were just typical cherry shrimp, too.

Have Neos in a 10g and 20g now, and there's more successful breeding in the 20g than the 10... then again, the 10 has juvies/young adults (all older shrimp died off...) that haven't started breeding yet and the 20g offspring are all probably being eaten by fish... (was supposed to be temporary, having the fish in the 20g... and they never got removed out of tank)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 02:42 PM
Planted Member

As long as you have appropriate cover for the shrimp to feel secure and they can find each other easily, you may see a faster population increase in a larger tank (assuming good water quality which you have everything to ensure). But those two key factors are important. If the tank is too big and you don't have enough shrimp that are feeling safe enough to swim everywhere in the tank, a larger tank could work against you. If this happens, you could always divide the 40 gallon in half and keep the shrimp colony all on one side until the population starts to take off.

I personally have found roughly equal rates of success breeding neos in 10g's, 20g's and 90g's but I do agree that it's much easier to maintain stable parameters especially with newer tanks when they are larger.

.`.`..`.><(((>

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay I think i might move them to the 40 Gallon once it properly cycles again, Im using a filter that has been cycled for about a year now. There will be nothing other than shrimp and snails in the tank so nothing to pick them off.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I always find it amusing when people say a tank is "too big".... the 90+ sized tank had a male and female thrown in. Just two. Female was not berried at the store. She was the next morning though!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode