• 1 Post By catz
  • 1 Post By catz
  • 1 Post By Zoidburg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Salty shrimp

Hello all, recently switched my 75 gallon tank from cichlids to community. Replaced substrate to controsoil and added live plants and driftwood. Have 2 eheim canister filters. Just bought neon tetras. Checked ph, ammonia and nitrates/nitrates. Ph is 6.6 out of my faucet (well water) is it necessary to use salty shrimp if I add shrimp? What are the best shrimp for a newbie? Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What is your GH and KH?

I wouldn't recommend using tap/well water on Controsoil but that may also depend on the GH and KH.

Since you already have fish in the tank, I would say amanos.

If you want to do a shrimp only tank (fish may stress shrimp out and you'll never see them... or they might even go after the shrimp and kill them) then we still need to know what the GH and KH is. If using inert soil, you could keep Neos or tigers. If you want to use Controsoil or another buffering substrate, then you could do tigers or other fancy Caridina.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I don’t know, I don’t have a test kit for that. I’ll have to get one. I’ll post more when I know. Thank you!
Zoidburg likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I did a gh & kh test but I'm not sure what the numbers mean. For the API test kit where you count the number of drops til it turns a different color this is what I came up with. For kh it took 3 drops and for gh 13 drops. Could someone please tell me what that means? I am unfamiliar with this test. Thank you!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 04:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Means you have low KH and medium-high GH.

From my own personal experience, I'd recommend using RO water or distilled with a shrimp remineralizer. Go with some cheap crystals or tiger species. Choose a breeder (not import seller) that you want to purchase from and match their parameters. If they are raising in low pH, then you can use Controsoil and a GH only remineralizer. GH is likely going to be around 3-6. If in higher pH, then you'll want inert substrate with GH/KH remineralizer which might be remineralized to 6 GH and 3 KH or higher.

I would not recommend Neos unless you can find a local breeder who raises them in same water... even then, would not recommend putting them in community tank. Only amanos if you do want to try any type of shrimp in there. Shrimp would do best in their own tank.

Since there is KH in your water, you are causing parameter swings each time you do a water change on your community tank. Shrimp do not like this, but amanos (and fish) could probably handle it. Having low KH helps. The problem is is that the soil is absorbing the KH and releasing tannins, fulvic and humic acid into the water to lower the pH. KH wants to raise the pH, so each water change means a fluctuation in water parameters.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow you certainly know your stuff! Thank you for that! I might look into RO, I’ll have to check the cost, etc. I am quite happy with my nano fish so might just stay with that. Shrimp would be cool tho. Thank you for your help!
Zoidburg likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 11:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

A small 5-10g tank would be fine for shrimp. Bigger means more stable parameters. Shrimp only need 10% water changes 1-4 times a month and top offs with RO/distilled.

I currently just go to a Primo (or Glacier) water machine (with a TDS meter) to get water. I don't have an RO machine at home and not interested in purchasing one at this time. With harder water, would recommend BRS RO machine if you want to go that route. They usually run $100 and up. Some people do recommend the RO Buddy which is around $60. Something to keep in mind though... cheaper RO machines usually have more expensive replacement cartridges, to the point that it may be better off just buying a new machine. More expensive units may have cheaper replacement cartridges. (something to at least look into before purchasing a unit)
ipkiss likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode