• 1 Post By SR52012
  • 2 Post By SR52012

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Shrimp Vase

Looking for some advise...

I would like to set up a vase at my work desk but it would have to be very very low tech.

What is the smallest vase you would go? (shrimp and plants only)
Would I need a heater?
Light?
What kind of plants would you suggest?

Ideally it would sit on my desk and just get a top off of water now and then and a water change like once every month or 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:15 PM
Algae Grower

Not a vase expert but I can say that you will not need a heater for shrimp. For plants - look up those that grow well in a walstad tank. I experimented a bit with a small bowl and lillaeopsis brasiliensis did really well for me, as did crypt Beckett. I'm trying one now with staurogyne repens and alternanthera reinekki that's not going as well.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
From my experience the large the water volume, the more stable the water parameters, which means better survival rate for shrimp. I tried keeping cherries in a 2g cookie jar and 3g bubble bowl. Kept loosing them, water changes swung parameters too much. When i tossed the last 5-7 in my husband's 12g long as food for his dwarf puffer they EXPLODED to 100-200 shrimp. Stupid puffer never saw them as a food option.

As long as your work always keeps a constant temp (doesn't turn off heat/ac during 'off hours'/holidays), and you're not near a window. I personally like to use a heater + temperature controller as an extra measure to ensure it doesn't over heat. Remember smaller volume=harder to keeps table params (this includes temp) major swings can mess them up.

Also consider a sponge filter-filtration is always good and the sponge grows yummies for the shrimp. n It deals with ammonia build up during lights out hours.

As for plants what do you plan for light? are you using liquid ferts? soil +cap substrate? enriched substrate?root tabs?
I like dwarf sag-ones established it takes over. Crypts do well after their initial melt to adapt to new tank but they're slower growers.
Italian vals are good-can trim back if they get too long, fast growing after adapted, send out lots of runners.
Water sprite you have to keep up on trimming-let mine go in the 12g and it lifted the lid a whole inch after completely filling the tank!
Moss is not as fast a grower but always good for shrimp-great place for their food to grow.
Get floaters! They help with excess nutrients a lot since they have direct access to co2 being at the surface. What kind depends on light intensity and if you have a lid (personally recommend a lid so cleaning staff doesn't get spray in the tank). I like duckweed but a lot of people don't, salvinia minima is a good one for lidded tanks. You can also float stems like anacharis or hornwort-I never have much luck with these..

Don't feel like digging up my old ooold shrimp pico photos, here are after shrimp uses of these 2-3g vases/bowls

Here is my 3g bowl after shrimp have kept a betta (1). Dwarf sag and salvinia minima. There is a sponge filter and heater, but you can't see it.

2g cookie jar after shrimp-again 1 betta, heater, filter, fissidens on dirftwood

2.5g vase with waterpsrite, anubias, betta, heater,filter

Save vase as above, vals, anubias, sponge, heater

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I was planning on something very simple in case i have to take it home for it "not being allowed" lol. Ideally i would just use the office lights, i would like something with a lid, and the less i have to plug in the better!

Was hoping i could just take a jar of some sort, maybe get a small bag of ADA since its so expensive, throw some plants in and then some shrimp.

Ill upload a pic of the area i was thinking of putting it.

Bump:

Bump:

Bump:

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR52012 View Post
I was planning on something very simple in case i have to take it home for it "not being allowed" lol. Ideally i would just use the office lights, i would like something with a lid, and the less i have to plug in the better!

Was hoping i could just take a jar of some sort, maybe get a small bag of ADA since its so expensive, throw some plants in and then some shrimp.

Ill upload a pic of the area i was thinking of putting it.

Bump:

Bump:

Bump:
Bump: i can put it where that PC is or in that cubby hole, in the cubby i would have to put a desk lamp or something.
Attached Images

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
The lights in the ceilings won't be enough to grow anything. You can get a simple desk lamp and low watt bulb 6500 kelvin recommend (i get my 13 watt cfls at home depot), or a nano LED for freshwater tanks.
You could try a very large mason jar 64 oz/ half gallon. But I have to emphasis the not being able to keep water params stable with such a small water volume leading to less healthy/dieing shrimp. I'm sure some shrimp keepers can pull it off but, its much easier in a larger volume of water.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks, I will look at my options and post an update with what i find to use.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you are going to be using tap water, you need inert substrate. Chances are, you'll probably need a remineralizer though.

If you really want to go the ADA route (or any buffering substrate), then you'll want RO water and GH minerals.

Does your office have a cleaning person who uses any chemicals?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have an RO system at home since i have a saltwater tank. And i believe the cleaning team uses chems... that is when they actually clean lol. but i would want a lid regardless

Bump: and i might get the fluval substrate because it is alot cheaper than the ADA. but i am still looking at options. It will be a small cheap project, i would like to use stuff i already have.

https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Asta...s%2C157&sr=8-6

Would this light work for my Vase idea? Has anyone used it?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-28-2019 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:05 PM
Algae Grower

That light would work just fine since it's dimmable. I have not used it myself, but I know others here have.

As for stocking, I haven't had much luck with shrimp in smaller containers either. If you do decide to forgo shrimp I'd suggest you try gammarus. They are quite a bit smaller than dwarf shrimp, but the adults are still fairly easily seen, and they are surprisingly active and entertaining when zooming around a tank. Also they double as live food for any other tanks you may have at home. Just suck them out with a turkey baster and transport them in a water bottle.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:38 AM
Planted Member

One of the lfs has maybe 1/4-1/2g jars with some fluval plant and shrimp substrate I think and some java moss. He does this to keep the types separated and they seem to be doing fine. Probably not ideal but one had several babies in it as well.

Ofcourse anything that small is a pain IMHO to take care of due to easily fluctuating water parameters. Aqua had some pics of nice setups that would be about the minimum size and setup I would personally run.

Anyhow good luck, should be a minimal investment to try out considering.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So shrimp vase update...

Got my boss's "ok" to set something up... I have decided to use a small 5gal tank i have sitting at home. Just ordered my fluval plant\shrimp substrate and it will be here tomorrow. I have a spare heater and sponge filter but i am going to look at getting a cheap HOB instead. Pics will follow next week when i bring it in.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 04:11 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR52012 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Asta...s%2C157&sr=8-6

Would this light work for my Vase idea? Has anyone used it?
I have that light on my Fluval Spec V. Its a great light for a 5 gallon tank. I have grown ludwigia with it. Currently growing crypts, a sword, java moss, and trying hair grass which is not looking super hot right now.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So the Vase has turned into a Fluval Spec III since the 5gal tank i was going to use from home cracked. Now i just need some plants and i can set it up

Update:
Here she is, the work tank is up and running!
Attached Images

Cinnamonamon likes this.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-01-2019 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update:
Here is the tank 2 weeks in, i treated the tank yesterday with Alum to kill all of the pond\bladder snails that were in the tank. I will be doing a 100% WC tomorrow and "resetting" the tank. Ill pick up some bottle kick start this weekend to help kick the cycle back off.
Attached Images

Zoidburg and united natures like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode