Shrimp gathering in plant - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Shrimp gathering in plant

Hello, I have a newly started 8.75-gallon tank and I just bought 5 blue velvets yesterday and 5 more today. Before I added the new 5 today they were all swimming around and doing great but now with new 5 in there they're all hiding in a single plant that I added today with 3 others and some java moss. I have 8 plants, 3 moss balls, and then some java moss on a large piece of drift wood. I've read that they can do this if the O2 levels are too low. I wasn't sure if this was true or not? I do have a bubbler in the middle of my tank along with 4 blue mystery snails if that affects anything as well? I'm just worried about them because I am new to this whole shrimp breeding thing and I do have 3 pregnant females that I happened to buy and I want to make sure everyone is aokay. I've checked all my water levels as well and my ammonia is at .5ppm and my pH is 7.2 while everything else is 0ppm (the tank has been cycled). Any ideas and possible solutions would be much appreciated!! Thank you (:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:49 AM
Algae Grower

The shrimp and snails will start to climb to the top of the water level if the O2 levels fall. Run the bubbler for a couple hours if you see this.

Shrimp have a small footprint so any change in the water quality I.E. Ammonia is probably due to the snails.

You'll want your Ammonia levels as low as possible as well as Nitrite.

Nitrate slightly elevated for the plans to flourish. You can get some Seachem Flourish Excel to add carbon to the water to promote photosynthesis and get your plant's creating O2. Use small doses so you don't melt the plants and stuff.

Shrimp love a sponge filter and the little ones will cling to it and eat stuff so you may want to consider that.

Good Luck!!
CllCrg34 likes this.

Yeah... I name my fish...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- "Dot"
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have a bubbler that runs 24/7 currently in the tank. I had 9 white cloud minnows in the tank during cycling with no issues but these 10 shrimp went from swimming all around and jumping from plant to plant to now sitting in a plant in the corner all bunched up.

There are one or two swimming around but its always a different one.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:40 PM
Algae Grower

Do they have places to hide? They like to hide when they molt.

Maybe there is something in that plant that they like?

I'm sure an argument can be made against this but... Maybe try turning the heat up a bit? They are after all cold blooded. I keep my tank between 24C and 27C Or 75F to 80F. Warmer temps seem to encourage breeding and growth is what I've read but some people have different thoughts because apparently they can get sick easier too. Which is why a lot of stores won't guarantee shrimp I guess.

<-- "Dot"
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:09 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythos View Post
I'm sure an argument can be made against this but... Maybe try turning the heat up a bit? They are after all cold blooded. I keep my tank between 24C and 27C Or 75F to 80F. Warmer temps seem to encourage breeding and growth is what I've read but some people have different thoughts because apparently they can get sick easier too. Which is why a lot of stores won't guarantee shrimp I guess.

Agreed - shrimp are much more active and breed more if the water temp is higher. Also, if they are well-fed, they tend not to wander around as much in search of food.

As long as you don't see them making frequent trips to the surface or staying in the area of the tank with the strongest current, they should be getting enough O2. If you want to be sure, provide plenty of surface agitation for gas exchange to take place (the bubbler should be adequate).

The .5ppm ammonia level is a bit of a concern - I would recommend adding some nitrifying bacteria immediately. If the tank was planted from day 1, then it likely didn't go through much of a nitrogen cycle and there's very limited beneficial bacteria present to convert ammonia-->nitrite-->nitrate. For future reference - if a new tank is planted right from the start, you want to stock it very slowly to allow the nitrifying bacteria time to reproduce and keep pace with the bioload.
Pythos and CllCrg34 like this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If they are hanging out on a new plant, it could be because that plant has a lot of biofilm on it that is interesting to them. If it's an older plant, then I'd be more concerned.

Agreed though that ammonia should be 0 as well as nitrites.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
+1 new plant=potential food growing on it for shrimp. Unless you dipped it in bleach, hydrogen peroxide, or potassium permagnimate before putting in the tank.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you all for your help! There are still some in the plant but every now and then a couple will flutter around for a few before going back. My ammonia is down at .25ppm today but my nitrite and nitrate are still 0ppm. For the plants, since I have had it planted since day one, should I get some seachem excel or something of that sort to help with nutrient load so that my nitrate or nitrite doesn't spike out of the blue?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythos View Post
Do they have places to hide? They like to hide when they molt.

Maybe there is something in that plant that they like?

Also, they have shrimp tubes that are all stacked upon so multiple can hide in them of different sizes, a 4ish inch piece of cholla wood, and another little shrimp dome that I have been putting their food under so that the mystery snails can't reach it.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:36 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CllCrg34 View Post
Thank you all for your help! There are still some in the plant but every now and then a couple will flutter around for a few before going back. My ammonia is down at .25ppm today but my nitrite and nitrate are still 0ppm. For the plants, since I have had it planted since day one, should I get some seachem excel or something of that sort to help with nutrient load so that my nitrate or nitrite doesn't spike out of the blue?

I would get some to get the plants working...
Some beneficial bacteria would be good to process that Ammonia into Nitrite and then Nitrate for the plants would be ideal. It will happen naturally over time but it would be ideal to speed it up a bit and get everything as healthy as possible.

I bet there is a biofilm or something in that plant they're feasting on. If they seem lethargic or discolored I would be concerned but if they are just in there being shrimp I think we may be making a mountain out of a molehill.
shewolf and CllCrg34 like this.

<-- "Dot"
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update: my tank has planeria in it. Removed all shrimp and snails. Treating it today with Cupramine
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Hoping you read this before treating with Cupramine!

I'm guessing you know copper will absolutely wipe out shrimp and can be absorbed by your rocks and such. If you have already treated, I would be hesitant to use that tank as a shrimp tank for a while. I mean, the glass box itself will be fine, but everything in it should go. I would probably toss any substrate, rocks, and hardscape for good measure. Going forward, avoid copper if at all possible. A few assassin snails will make quick work of planaria in a small tank. Even draining the tank, adding boiling water to the gravel, draining again and then letting it sit dry a few days should be enough to kill them all. Copper is just so hard to remove and so deadly to shrimp as to be of little use in shrimp tanks.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have done the first treatment already but i still need to do a second one. Maybe I'll hold off and test copper levels because they should still be low
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CllCrg34 View Post
I have done the first treatment already but i still need to do a second one. Maybe I'll hold off and test copper levels because they should still be low
Buy the product "no planaria" it won't hurt shrimp if you do not overdose. But it can harm snails so they should be taken out.
or use Panacur C

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Confirmed planaria and not rhabdocoela flatworms?

Tags
blue velvet shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode