Tank Filtration - Shrimp - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank Filtration - Shrimp

Hello all
I am currently in the process of planning out the redo of my 40 Gallon tank to repurpose it as a neo shrimp breeding tank, the thing is I am stuck on deciding on how to filter it, I currently have an Eheim 2215 canister filter and the plan was to just get a filter cover for the intake but then I thought it might be better to go out and purchase 2 sponge filters for either end! Would love to get everyone's opinion on what would be the best option.
Thanks
Aidan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

You could go either way. Aquarium Coop has some really good (coarse sponge) pre-filters that would work well....As long as you have the Eheim and it's working well, I'd go with the pre-filter ($7.99) first and keep sponge filters as plan B.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
5g quarantine / hospital / grow out, 10g fry tank, 37g fry grow out tank, 110g stock tank (was outdoor, now basement)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
You could go either way. Aquarium Coop has some really good (coarse sponge) pre-filters that would work well....As long as you have the Eheim and it's working well, I'd go with the pre-filter ($7.99) first and keep sponge filters as plan B.
That sounds like a good option, I do have a large aqua one sponge filter that I could try make some fittings for so that it can connect to my filter inlet on my canister filter.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:24 PM
Algae Grower

Han Aquatics has nice shrimp safe stainless steel inlet covers for the Eheim filters.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidanw View Post
Hello all
I am currently in the process of planning out the redo of my 40 Gallon tank to repurpose it as a neo shrimp breeding tank, the thing is I am stuck on deciding on how to filter it, I currently have an Eheim 2215 canister filter and the plan was to just get a filter cover for the intake but then I thought it might be better to go out and purchase 2 sponge filters for either end! Would love to get everyone's opinion on what would be the best option.
Thanks
Aidan
I'd just get a sponge/foam media you can cut to fit snugly over the intake of the canister filter-but that's because I always have extra filter media laying around I could use. Shrimp safe, and surface for them to feed from, use outflow to maximize aeration of water, not strong flow (spray bar).
I've also used airpump run sponge fitlers, and ss screen mesh over canisters.

In a 40g if you do sponge filters get 2-1 per back corner.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyue View Post
Han Aquatics has nice shrimp safe stainless steel inlet covers for the Eheim filters.

Ah, but with a sponge pre-filter you get the additional bio-filtration.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
5g quarantine / hospital / grow out, 10g fry tank, 37g fry grow out tank, 110g stock tank (was outdoor, now basement)

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
Ah, but with a sponge pre-filter you get the additional bio-filtration.
Very true, am now thinking of getting a sponge prefilter as well as a corner sponge filter which will run on the opposite end to the filter intake.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode