Breeding Amano Shrimp - Page 9 - The Planted Tank Forum
 75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 07:42 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
Thanks @EdWiser! I was thinking that was the case, but figured I'd ask to see what the thought was. However the salt I got from the local salty store is https://fritzaquatics.com/products/f...te-marine-salt, which meets those specs. But I'm going to run it at I think the lower range of 30ppt. Next time I'm gonna order some cheap instant ocean so it's not strong on the reef mix side of things.

Just to add, coraline algae commonly takes many months to grow in bare tanks, so by the time any would grow in a shrimp larvae culture, the amano would be already in freshwater for at least a month.
chayos00 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've only just skimmed the last 20 posts but don't have time for the rest. Has anyone looked at this thread: "Amano Shrimps or some things else. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/s....php?t=1186193 "

Hope that link works. I don't think I saw the poster from that thread on this one. He is breeding Amano shrimp with some success, has some YouTube videos too.

Christian, husband, brother, friend, hobbyist.
post #123 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktetra View Post
I've only just skimmed the last 20 posts but don't have time for the rest. Has anyone looked at this thread: "Amano Shrimps or some things else. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/s....php?t=1186193 "

Hope that link works. I don't think I saw the poster from that thread on this one. He is breeding Amano shrimp with some success, has some YouTube videos too.
Yeah I seen his post. He seemed to not be talking about breeding really, just sharing some you tube videos and discussing the "not amano" situation. As for this thread, there are multiple people participating in this thread that have had success and Mach_six has shared you tube videos as well (they are very cool) . I know there is a lot of pages at the moment but if you are really trying to get into breeding then I would suggest reading all of it. There is good information in here, plus feel free to participate constructively or ask us anything you want
Zoidburg likes this.

I just want to learn. I appreciate everyone who teaches.

post #124 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 12:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

Okay, just got my 10g tank setup and ready to go for a cycle. I dumped in some Dr Tim's to try and help establish the cycle. I made a tight fitting cover from acrylic from home depot. Got the Fluval Planted+ lights on the tank and will leave them on 24/7 to try and grow algae.

I noticed one of my female Amanos berried the other day! Woot Woot!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Edward and Zoidburg like this.

300g 6' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #125 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Okay, just got my 10g tank setup and ready to go for a cycle. I dumped in some Dr Tim's to try and help establish the cycle. I made a tight fitting cover from acrylic from home depot. Got the Fluval Planted+ lights on the tank and will leave them on 24/7 to try and grow algae.

I noticed one of my female Amanos berried the other day! Woot Woot!

Woot Woot indeed! Very excited for you. I would like to say that your wave maker is looking a little large. Also I don't know how the rough looking rocks may go with the fry. Are they smoothed or rough like lava rock?
chayos00 likes this.

post #126 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 04:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by symstep View Post
Woot Woot indeed! Very excited for you. I would like to say that your wave maker is looking a little large. Also I don't know how the rough looking rocks may go with the fry. Are they smoothed or rough like lava rock?
LOL that's a 1100gph wavemaker too! I pulled it out of my 125g just to get this tank stirred up and help with dissipating any air bubbles in the rocks as they are full of pockets. I only planned to use it for a day or so. The rock is a lace rock which is more of a lava type of rock and is porous.

post #127 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
LOL that's a 1100gph wavemaker too! I pulled it out of my 125g just to get this tank stirred up and help with dissipating any air bubbles in the rocks as they are full of pockets. I only planned to use it for a day or so. The rock is a lace rock which is more of a lava type of rock and is porous.

Excellent you are not going to have that wave maker in there haha. I am interested in how they do with the lava rock, Just wondering if it wold be rough on their little legs. Probably not tho. For real tho man, GOOD LUCK!!!! Keep giving updates, also i would like to know what your PH is.
chayos00 likes this.

post #128 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

Sure didn't take long for algae to take off in this tank! LOL Having the lights on 24/7 I'm sure helps! I should probably bust out my PAR meter and see what I have going on.

varanidguy and symstep like this.

post #129 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Sure didn't take long for algae to take off in this tank! LOL Having the lights on 24/7 I'm sure helps! I should probably bust out my PAR meter and see what I have going on.

Do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chayos00 and symstep like this.

post #130 of 132 (permalink) Old Today, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
How is the larvae doing?

Having one success, I have nothing to really share since I just followed Chappy's video and didn't have repeatable success after that. I didn't test the water or anything but the parameters should be like how you are trying to keep things alive and flourishing. Just try it and don't over complicate it as you can see in other videos of people there's no much to it other than a food source and stable parameters.

So view his video and try his method, the only exception is to start the tank way sooner than later. The ones who have success are probably the ones selling them to the stores but it looks like someone in the larger distribution have started to breed them. What they sold over 7+ years are monsters compared to what htey sell that I saw at Petco, they looked smaller than adult neos.
post #131 of 132 (permalink) Old Today, 08:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'm starting to question if the female "amano" shrimp I got from the local big box pet store are actual amano's or those fake ones. The ladies are berried at the moment too. They are kind of a darker greenish color, and with a strong tan stripe down their back. I'll see if I can get a picture of them.

But seems using Dr Tim's has gotten the tank cycling already. The ammonia as per the seachem ammonia strips in tank tester are showing it's going away in 24hr's, but I don't have a SW API test kit to test the other two parameters.

post #132 of 132 (permalink) Old Today, 11:00 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I'm starting to question if the female "amano" shrimp I got from the local big box pet store are actual amano's or those fake ones. The ladies are berried at the moment too. They are kind of a darker greenish color, and with a strong tan stripe down their back. I'll see if I can get a picture of them.

But seems using Dr Tim's has gotten the tank cycling already. The ammonia as per the seachem ammonia strips in tank tester are showing it's going away in 24hr's, but I don't have a SW API test kit to test the other two parameters.

From what I remember, the 'fake amano shrimp' will breed in fresh water. If you question if they are real or not a sure way to tell would be to keep them in fresh water for a while and see if they propagate.

Yeah... I name my fish...

<-- "Dot"

Tags
amano shrimp breeding, seed shrimp problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode