Breeding Amano Shrimp - Page 6 - The Planted Tank Forum
 80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you look on my Youtube channel, I recorded the shrimp that settled while in the S/W tank that's when I started to transition. Based on Chappy's video, he said the moment they can swim forward and look like little Amanos is when you should transition them. The variable is I don't know how long they were in the tank in their final stage before I took them out.

I was worried about waiting too long and transitioned them the moment I saw which ones looked like that. Over time the color went away though I can't say for certain I noticed if I waited for that for all because all I did was leave them overnight for the timing of it.

I wasn't looking for visual color change since I never seen anyone mention during transition but I noticed that they lose it. I'll note that when I get to that point again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach_six View Post
If you look on my Youtube channel, I recorded the shrimp that settled while in the S/W tank that's when I started to transition. Based on Chappy's video, he said the moment they can swim forward and look like little Amanos is when you should transition them. The variable is I don't know how long they were in the tank in their final stage before I took them out.

I was worried about waiting too long and transitioned them the moment I saw which ones looked like that. Over time the color went away though I can't say for certain I noticed if I waited for that for all because all I did was leave them overnight for the timing of it.

I wasn't looking for visual color change since I never seen anyone mention during transition but I noticed that they lose it. I'll note that when I get to that point again.
This is what chappy wrote, Copy and pasted it from his page.
"HappyChappy
2 years ago
I tell you in the video, once they turn from pink to clear color and start swimming forward is when you know to make the switch" there is also another instance where a person asked him to look at his video and they have morphed but he tells them that they are still too pink so to wait. I went against this with just one shrimp to see even tho assumed he would die, (idk call it the curse of the INTJ) and the poor guy died in like a hour link your yt?
Going back and looking at chappy tho I realized that he does apparently dump the morphed shrimp into 50/50 and then directly into fresh. No slow acclimation. Id still prefer to drip, even tho apparently they don't die, the drip method must be less stressful.

I just want to learn. I appreciate everyone who teaches.
post #78 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@Zoidburg I have read in a thread a guy claiming he has amano hatching and surviving in freshwater, So there are multiple impostors haha. It is very cool you have already done research and have your head wrapped around this. Opinionunfiltered did briefly mentioned this so I Really appreciate you bringing more info in on this topic. Is this a amano shrimp? haha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5368.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	880799  

post #79 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

@symstep I've asked the shrimp gurus (i.e. those who discover/name different shrimp species and help to classify them or reclassify) and been given two separate species for what the shrimp might be.... based on my own observations, I do not believe that they fit either species type. At first, I thought they were malayas myself (as did some others), but then realized that there are different species labeled as malayas and these offspring do not survive in freshwater... like amanos, they have hundreds of offspring. I've had multiple berried females last year and never saw any of the offspring I didn't fish out of their tank make it to adult-hood. I did notice they lived longer in saltwater but not knowing species and how they reproduce makes it harder to determine the best salinity. I think it would be great to setup various jars with different salinities in them, but I don't currently have room for that.

The picture you shared, I would say that yes, that is an amano. A male amano. I've also seen the posts where someone had them reproduce in freshwater. I can't say it's impossible, but I would say it's extremely rare. (kind of akin to someone breeding sunkist shrimp in freshwater tanks.... there's a Caridina species that are like amanos needing saltwater, then Neocaridina mutation that don't) There could of course be other explanations as to why a random amano showed up in a tank. (i.e. purchased 3, ended up with 4... maybe 4th came in on plants? or?) If I recall right, one of the shrimp gurus says he's had amanos reproduce in freshwater completely but can't explain how his (purchased originally from Takashi Amano himself...) were different than what we typically see on the market... and I can't find the information anymore, but probably because it was a group I was kicked out of. (no explanation given, just removed/banned) I could certainly ask him again though for information. I think he did mention something about "true amanos" vs "taiwan amanos" or something like that...
symstep likes this.
post #80 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
@symstep I've asked the shrimp gurus (i.e. those who discover/name different shrimp species and help to classify them or reclassify) and been given two separate species for what the shrimp might be.... based on my own observations, I do not believe that they fit either species type. At first, I thought they were malayas myself (as did some others), but then realized that there are different species labeled as malayas and these offspring do not survive in freshwater... like amanos, they have hundreds of offspring. I've had multiple berried females last year and never saw any of the offspring I didn't fish out of their tank make it to adult-hood. I did notice they lived longer in saltwater but not knowing species and how they reproduce makes it harder to determine the best salinity. I think it would be great to setup various jars with different salinities in them, but I don't currently have room for that.

The picture you shared, I would say that yes, that is an amano. A male amano. I've also seen the posts where someone had them reproduce in freshwater. I can't say it's impossible, but I would say it's extremely rare. (kind of akin to someone breeding sunkist shrimp in freshwater tanks.... there's a Caridina species that are like amanos needing saltwater, then Neocaridina mutation that don't) There could of course be other explanations as to why a random amano showed up in a tank. (i.e. purchased 3, ended up with 4... maybe 4th came in on plants? or?) If I recall right, one of the shrimp gurus says he's had amanos reproduce in freshwater completely but can't explain how his (purchased originally from Takashi Amano himself...) were different than what we typically see on the market... and I can't find the information anymore, but probably because it was a group I was kicked out of. (no explanation given, just removed/banned) I could certainly ask him again though for information. I think he did mention something about "true amanos" vs "taiwan amanos" or something like that...
Glad it seems like I got the real amano haha. I am going to dive into this topic. Ill get back with you with anything new or more definitive I find.
Zoidburg likes this.

post #81 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by symstep View Post
This is what chappy wrote, Copy and pasted it from his page.
"HappyChappy
2 years ago
I tell you in the video, once they turn from pink to clear color and start swimming forward is when you know to make the switch" there is also another instance where a person asked him to look at his video and they have morphed but he tells them that they are still too pink so to wait. I went against this with just one shrimp to see even tho assumed he would die, (idk call it the curse of the INTJ) and the poor guy died in like a hour link your yt?
Going back and looking at chappy tho I realized that he does apparently dump the morphed shrimp into 50/50 and then directly into fresh. No slow acclimation. Id still prefer to drip, even tho apparently they don't die, the drip method must be less stressful.
You can see they're pretty orangey like a cooked shrimp more than clear.

Last edited by mach_six; 04-22-2019 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Added link
post #82 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:

https://youtu.be/xoaGZOCsX9M

https://youtu.be/EzoD3DC_xbE
Dude what did you record that with? That is a nice clear shot! But now I am thinking What if those are not amanos? Do you have a picture of the mother or are your shrimp large enough to take a pic and see what @Zoidburg has to say about it?

post #83 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 04:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Clip on macro lens for phone work, although some people use high end cameras with fantastic macro shots for the same purpose. I've got a cheap macro lens for my phone. If it works, a picture of a "not amano" using a cheap macro lens and a Samsung S6 Active phone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	zoe.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	880931

Last edited by Zoidburg; 04-24-2019 at 12:42 PM. Reason: .
post #84 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got most of these from Petco labeled as Japanese Algae Eating Shrimp or Amano Shrimp, mainly as Japanese Algae Eaters cause they were priced cheaper when they had both. I don't know of any other shrimp with a similar larvae growth process being sold in the industry.

Here's a video of the shrimps after month, I didn't actively feed them so they are small.

symstep likes this.
post #85 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:03 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to shou
Quote:

https://youtu.be/xoaGZOCsX9M

https://youtu.be/EzoD3DC_xbE
They’re Amano shrimp larvae set to morph into clear body Amano shrimp. I found a way to trigger their finals morphing transformation by shown a very bright light while gave the water a good stirred.
With water movement and bright light, all the larvae that are ready to morph will dash and thrust a bit and they turned to a clear body Amano shrimp. Without a high-speed camera to film their transformation and played back in slow motion, we will never catch a glimpse of their final transformation.
OpinionUnFiltered likes this.
post #86 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Clip on macro lens for phone work, although some people use high end cameras with fantastic macro shots for the same purpose. I've got a cheap macro lens for my phone. If it works, a picture of a "not amano" using a cheap macro lens and a Samsung S6 Active phone.

I am probably going to buy one of these macro lens and actually take pictures of my next batch. thank you for the tip . What do you think of mach_six shrimp, Do they look like true amanos?

What was this group you were kicked out of? This elitist group that chooses the members selectively that doesn't believe in open source? Or did you make fun of one of the members mothers or something?

post #87 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I got most of these from Petco labeled as Japanese Algae Eating Shrimp or Amano Shrimp, mainly as Japanese Algae Eaters cause they were priced cheaper when they had both. I don't know of any other shrimp with a similar larvae growth process being sold in the industry.

Here's a video of the shrimps after month, I didn't actively feed them so they are small.

https://youtu.be/vb9TxYoLo_M
I am not totally sure but Zoidburg has explained to me and others have mentioned in this thread that there is multiple shrimp with the same larvae growth process being sold. Some even may grow in fresh water that look very close to amanos. Btw love seeing your videos.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shou View Post
They’re Amano shrimp larvae set to morph into clear body Amano shrimp. I found a way to trigger their finals morphing transformation by shown a very bright light while gave the water a good stirred.
With water movement and bright light, all the larvae that are ready to morph will dash and thrust a bit and they turned to a clear body Amano shrimp. Without a high-speed camera to film their transformation and played back in slow motion, we will never catch a glimpse of their final transformation.
?

post #88 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by symstep View Post
I am probably going to buy one of these macro lens and actually take pictures of my next batch. thank you for the tip . What do you think of mach_six shrimp, Do they look like true amanos?

What was this group you were kicked out of? This elitist group that chooses the members selectively that doesn't believe in open source? Or did you make fun of one of the members mothers or something?
Fixed image if it wasn't showing up before. There may be better macro clip on lenses but I haven't experimented with any. With the cheap ones at least, the item you want to take a picture up needs to be within 1" or less of the lens.

mach_six shrimp do appear to be amanos. Having said that, the "not amanos" that are showing up in peoples tanks are also from Petco... lol I don't know how many Petco employees have even noticed... I'm pretty sure they can't hybridize either.... I ended up with a tank full of female "not amanos" and one male amano. (not sure what happened to the male "not amanos"). Petco was having a "buy 3, get 4th free" deal, so I grabbed what appeared to be 3 males and 1 female "not amanos". I now have at least 4 berried girls. When I first brought them up in this thread, there was only 1 berried.

As for the group... well, honestly, I don't know what happened. Realized I wasn't in it, and I can't find the group anymore. Can't imagine it was shut down. Didn't care enough to hunt down one of the admins to ask.
post #89 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've bought more than my fair share of Amanos over the last 7+ years to know. Back then that's what Petco only carried in addition to ghost shrimps.

Now that they expanded their offering is where more confusion is when they are mixing so many different types of shrimps all in one tank. They're selling Amanos now in the size of neos which doesn't help. Back then they were also giant sized and easy to identify, they were easily over 1" that's hard to find in most stores even not Petco.
post #90 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Everyone who has picked up these random shrimp have all purchased them from Petco. They can be purchased right along with the amanos, even!

Saw one in a tank at an "LFS" in another state. I think the tank was supposed to be amanos and fish only, and yet, there was one big female roaming the tank along with the amanos.

Would be nice to know more about them.

Tags
amano shrimp breeding, seed shrimp problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode