Breeding Amano Shrimp - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
@Edward @cl3537

Guys, I am new to the aqua game. You two, Opinion and half the others that have messaged on this thread know more about freshwater, saltwater and Aquatic life then I do and I have learned a lot from all of you. I made this thread just to ask A question about my shrimp tank (That still hasn't been touched on btw haha) and it has turned into something pretty cool. I haven't had much success but I have had definitely more than others and I want that number to increase and nail down how to breed these things with the fewest casualties, We all do. This is a hard topic to understand since a lot of experiments need to be done and it takes months to do them, A lot of chemistry applies along with intuitive and counter intuitive methods. There is no judgement in brainstorming or having a opinion. There is no judgement in mistakes. Lets try to not get defensive if we are questioned and lets try to have thicker skin and stay constructive Really appreciate everyone's input on this thread, I have learned a lot.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl3537 View Post
I'd stick with all 34ppt, but use a larger container. I would test Ammonia and Nitrite every 5 days.
I'd also use one container seeded with algae and aged water for a few weeks, grow it by the window sill.
I agree and think the 34 ppt is the way to go but Edward does have a good point and the numbers he presented make me want to give 30ppt a try. To everyone that hasn't done it or hasn't had a single survivor I urge them to do exactly what I have originally explained but now I am going to throw some experiments in

I just want to learn. I appreciate everyone who teaches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:43 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by symstep View Post

I agree and think the 34 ppt is the way to go but Edward does have a good point and the numbers he presented make me want to give 30ppt a try. To everyone that hasn't done it or hasn't had a single survivor I urge them to do exactly what I have originally explained but now I am going to throw some experiments in
Best of luck with the experiments I will be following with interest to see how they turn out.

I'd much rather copy someone who has demonstrated success than someone playing armchair academic who doesn't breed shrimp.
You could have dozens of jars and try many different parameters, but if it was me I'd focus on slight variations from what has been reported to work.

"THE ISSUE OF SALINITY
There is some controversy surrounding what the optimal salinity is for the developing larvae. Hayashi & Hamano report total failure to survive in salinities up to and including 8.5 ppt; optimal survival at 17 ppt (80% survival rate); and suboptimal survival (11%) at salinities up to 35 ppt (full marine salinity). This is quite different from what I found, with zero survival at salinities lower than 25 ppt, suboptimal survival at 25 ppt (3 larvae, out of at least 200, survived for four weeks without metamorphosing at which point the attempt was aborted), and high survival at 30-35 ppt (an estimated 80% reaching postlarval stage). Other people who’ve experimented with salinities have come to the same conclusion: any salinity below 30 ppt or over 35 ppt will result in heavy mysid-stage larval losses!
"

https://gabhar.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/breeding-amano/

"Alternatively losses might be avoided by lowering salinity to 17 ppt when the first larvae start to metamorphose."

What you might try(or research further) is adding freshwater and lower salinity after the first full metamorphose.
Its not clear to me if end stage larvae and fry will survive better in lower salinity or not.

It has been stated that the fry will die within 48 hours if left in 30+ ppt water so it would seem best to remove the fry to freshwater as soon as it is clear they are fully changed but will they be better off staying in 17 ppt water until the rest of the batch are fully morphed is unclear.
chayos00 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cl3537; 04-15-2019 at 06:08 PM. Reason: ...
post #63 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:05 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl3537 View Post
What you might try(or research further) is adding freshwater and lower salinity after the first full metamorphose.
Its not clear to me if end stage larvae and fry will survive better in lower salinity or not.

Fair comment, and good option. I think?

If you're running a single batch/clutch of eggs from a single female, this is worth pursuing. But in my mind (others also, I suspect), a perfect setup would allow zoes from multiple females to go into a single zoe rearing setup. Meaning you'd always have zoes reaching metamorphosis, and dropping salinity for some might be fatal to the younger ones. So you either remove individual zoes as they metamorphose, and gradually desalinate the water for each group -- maybe having too many groups to manage this well -- or you keep a single batch in a single setup, and desalinate all together. [thinking...] The problem with that is that you'll likely kill your marine algae/diatoms before too long.

What I might try to work out is a partial removal of water from the zoe rearing jar (including algae and diatoms) which then gets used to jump start the next saltwater jar for the next batch of zoes. Then lower salinity the original rearing jar (with the pre and post metamorphosis zoes/juvies) to say 17ppt, and then gradually to fresh when most/all have metamorphosed. Or something like that. Maybe. I hope.

@symstep your original question was tankmates for the post-metamorphosis shrimps, right? Looking for a predator to control the 'uglies' that won't eat the tiny amanos? Sorry man, I got nothin'.

post #64 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Having more water is a bit forgiving and I used a 1~ gallon tank. If they survive week to week, I'll change half of it. I did recall changing water weekly.

I would also say you should do your experiments on conditions when you have repeated success with large batches.

I saw Chappy's video, they are pretty brown with diatoms but even he says some die offs. Mine ends up having green algae take over. Maybe that's a sign on when I should do water changes.
post #65 of 66 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I read from someone else that they used the red disposable cups to "acclimate" the shrimp over a period of several days.... so one cup would be at least 75% saltwater (or whatever they were raised in) to 25% fresh, then 50/50, then 25/75 before going into freshwater. Personally though, I'd rather use something clear.. but the shrimp remained in the cups for at least a day before being moved into another container... so that's always an option.
post #66 of 66 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I transitioned then in some clear dollar tree 2oz containers overnight in 50% FW/SW then in the morning I did a 50% WC making it approx 75% FW to 25% SW and then dumped them into full FW a few hours later It didn't take days for me, overnight then 3-4 hours was enough to go in full FW, I lost none out of 20~.

Though I've had someone msg me they lost the entire batch during the FW transition so I'm not sure why that is the case.
Zoidburg likes this.

Tags
amano shrimp breeding, seed shrimp problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode