Breeding Amano Shrimp - Page 11 - The Planted Tank Forum
 111Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 166 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach_six View Post
I didn't see in the tank pic, are you using an air stone?
Yes I've got air running into the tank, back left side. This was when the tank was new and clean still. LOL

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 166 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
The algae looks very yellow or is that due to the light? I think you can dial down the volume of air by 50%. You just want enough to break the surface tension to keep the water from getting stale but also not cause a lot of water movement inside. I know in the wild, they deal with ocean waves but keeping it calm should help them feed easier.

I'd get rid of the egg crate, they could get stuck in it. They're not the greatest of swimmers that I've seen, they are lazy eaters. If anything just pick the least porous looking rocks.
chayos00 likes this.
post #153 of 166 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach_six View Post
The algae looks very yellow or is that due to the light? I think you can dial down the volume of air by 50%. You just want enough to break the surface tension to keep the water from getting stale but also not cause a lot of water movement inside. I know in the wild, they deal with ocean waves but keeping it calm should help them feed easier.

I'd get rid of the egg crate, they could get stuck in it. They're not the greatest of swimmers that I've seen, they are lazy eaters. If anything just pick the least porous looking rocks.
Oh that air flow has gone way down since. It was more so for the initial setup of getting things all mixed up in the water with the Dr Tim's bacteria cycle stuff I was using. The algae was a greenish brown color overall. I also always use egg crate to prevent rocks from scratching or putting a pressure point on the glass and cracking it, since it's only a 10g that glass ain't that strong.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

post #154 of 166 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Take a look at this vid, you're seriously underestimating how strong the glass is.

chayos00 and shrimpboy112 like this.
post #155 of 166 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I siphoned some of the larvae out to record their phase. It's a mix of 2 weeks to 1 day old.

Here's a shot of them while in the tank.

post #156 of 166 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 03:32 PM
Algae Grower

After reading this forum and various other topics, watching videos I've decided to give this a try myself.

Setup/parameters:
  • 15 liter ( +/- 4 us gallon)
  • tap water with instant ocean mix, trying to accomplish 1025 sg / 24ppt (I measure in sg)
  • 24 degrees celsius
  • 24 hours led light for growing plants
  • airstone for a mild flow
  • food: reef phyto plankon

I have 4 berried moms at the moment. 2 in a separated container with an airstone, and I just put one in a container without flow (both containers in water from the big tank).

The 2 moms have been in the container for 12 days, they are releasing eggs but not many are hatched.
The single mom without the airstone I caught today.

I keep all tanks covered with towels, for the moms to give them the feeling of being safe. And for the big light not to lit my whole room

I'm having trouble determining wheater they are far enough. I'm scared to lose the eggs in the big tank. The fish in the bigger tank is already showing a different behavior, I'm thinking they are hunting for them. The eggs on the mo are visible, not sure if I can tell that they have eyes...

I have my saltwater tank now also for 12 days, no water changes, my thought: time to grow algae and nothing in the water that is making it dirty...

But now there is some layer of slime forming, and I don't understand what that is and why it comes.

I did collect some of the eggs/larvae and put them in the saltwater tank. I could only spot one larva being alive. I feed it 2 ml of reef phyto plankton every other day. Now I don't see it anymore, I kept it alive for 4 days.

Some of my photos of the setup I'm running:

• Is anybody familiar with that slime? I don't see it anywhere. Only read something in this forum, but nobody answered that question.
  • Besides the slime, there is also white residue, the level of salinity has not changed... any thoughts on what that could be?
  • Any tips on getting more larvae from the berried moms?
  • All thought are welcome
post #157 of 166 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 10:37 PM
Algae Grower

Update:

The single berried female in the container released today. I out her and the other two into the main tank. The two were sitting in the container for over 2 weeks and I did not want to stress them longer. My goal was to hatch babies for the setup as shown above.

Babies and eggs released in the by now 2 week old salt water tank. No water changes applied.

I added 5 ml of plankton and some reef pearls (smells like highly concentrated fish flakes).

The white stuff is getting worse, also the white slime seems to accumulate, but maybe that is algae. Still hoping for an awnser on that one
post #158 of 166 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 06:38 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to shou
I will not use death reef phytoplankton certainly not 5ml in 4g tank, going to have ammonia spikes in the tank. I use live Nannochloropsis (Japanese Chlorella) phytoplankton.
shrimpboy112 and Amano Shrimp like this.

Last edited by shou; 07-29-2019 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Edited.
post #159 of 166 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:44 PM
Algae Grower

@shou

Quote:
I will not use death reef phytoplankton certainly not 5ml in 4g tank, going to have ammonia spikes in the tank. I use live Nannochloropsis (Japanese Chlorella) phytoplankton.
Thank you for your reply, and thinking about it, I doubt myself for even buying this stuff...

Were you able to grow them up to adulthood solely on the Nannochloropsis? Or do you introduce other food as well?

Last edited by shrimpboy112; 07-30-2019 at 09:45 PM. Reason: quoting the original reply + user
post #160 of 166 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 03:41 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to shou
Amano shrimp is truly an algae eating machine even a larvae. Look at the back and front corner and the right side of the tank, they really chomping down on the algae. They can grow to adulthood on algae or phytoplankton and other food if the water is healthy clean.

post #161 of 166 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:06 PM
Algae Grower

Thank you for sharing the video @shou . I'm trying to accomplish a tank like that. I thought by introducing the instant ocean mix, a heater, airstone(lightly) for flow, and a lamp 24/7 algae would come. But they are not. Just a layer of slime and the white stuff as shown in my pictures above. I'm not at home this week, but when I'm back I'm going to set up a new tank, and will introduce some live phytoplankton and will read up on how to grow algae. My guess is by introducing them will help haha.

I will post an update on the process if people like to follow
post #162 of 166 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:44 AM

Day 23 for some, less for others, i havent fed them since day 1, regular water changes and they seem to be doing well so far. ph 8.1 , 34ppt, 24C

post #163 of 166 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 07:40 PM
Algae Grower

@Amano Shrimp

I was away this week, and now I'm not able to load the video anymore, any chance of sharing it once more? What are you using as salt? Are you having lights on? Are you pumping in air?
post #164 of 166 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:07 PM

Hey Shrimpboy it should load now , i had them private for few days while sorting them out, ive since included yesterdays videos of day 30 on my youtube channel m8, im using Microbe premium reef salt, salted to 34ppt (guaranteed PH 8.1), 24hr light with base algae already started before the zoes went in, temp 24C , light aeration to just break surface tension and exchange gases, theyre thriving on the algae and ive not fed them once. as long as i keep the water in check theres no reason for them not to morph. water changes every 9 days.
post #165 of 166 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:39 PM
Algae Grower

@Amano Shrimp

Thank you for sharing the videos! Nr 27 top view is abstract art! Really enjoyed watching it!

Trying to understand what you are saying:
Do you mean that by starting the water with the light before the larvea go in, you start the algae? Or do you add something start the base algae?

How much percent water do you change when you do a water change?

Do to use Led for 24h light, or what kind of light source do you use?

When I have my lights in for 24h at some point a slime layer gets into the water.

I'm now starting up some salt water with natural light, (have to wait for the Zoes). See if that also gives the slime.

If my brand doesn't work, I will try your salt.

Did you already manage to transfer some back into the fresh water? And if so, what is your successrate?

Tags
amano shrimp breeding, seed shrimp problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode