RCS Keep disappearing - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By natemcnutty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
RCS Keep disappearing

Hi everyone, I’ve been keeping cherry shrimp for the past 6 months. I even had one of my females have babies in the time. However, every now and then a few of my shrimp will randomly disappear. Yesterday I picked up a few shrimp from the store, drip acclimated them for about 45 minutes and set them free. Today I rearranged my tank and noticed that a nice big yellow female I just bought is completely gone. I can’t find her under anything, any pieces of her in the tank, and couldn’t find her around the outsides of it. I have 3 white mountain minnows, 2 scarlet gem badis, 2 Pygmy corys, a lemon tetra and a kuhli loach. Do you think any of these could have gotten her? Do the shrimp bury themselves? Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Sounds like your loach has been having some expensive snacks to me.

Other than that, do you know your GH / KH?
Nlewis likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

So I tested the water and looks like kh ~4 and gh 5-6. Do you really think she could’ve been eaten by my loach? He seems too blind and lazy to grab anything. I looked all around the room to see make sure it didn’t jump out. Is it possible she buried herself in the substrate? Do you think a loach, snail, Pygmy corys, and other shrimps could’ve cleaned her gone by the next day?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If she died, any one of those could have eaten her. Alive, I doubt the cory or loaches would have eaten her. Most loaches do not go after live shrimp. (keyword - most) I have successfully kept two different species of kuhli loaches (well, black loaches and giant myersi kuhli) with shrimp without any issues as well as many others.

I would recommend a GH of at least 7-8 though.... and shrimp may hide more due to the fish.... so if you want to see shrimp more often.... fix water parameters and put them in a designated shrimp setup.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:39 AM
Algae Grower

Shrimp don't bury themselves
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:33 AM

I had a small group of rcs (12-15) in a small heavily planted tank for at least 6 months. I added a scarlet badis, and he immediately started clearing out the shrimp. I left him in there, hoping he would lose interest with getting fed regularly. After bout a month, no more shrimp were seen. He was the only fish in the tank FYI.

I had read that they may go after juveniles, which was expected. This one had other ideas.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info, as of now i'm going to be using purified water from the store only and will be getting some seachem equilibrium to buff gh and help the plants out. Hopefully that helps. I've never seen my fish so much as nip at the shrimp but that doesn't mean anything. If problems persist I may take out some of the more active hunters. As far as temperature goes I'm around 75, should i be worried about bacterial infections? I know warm water makes more babies but don't wanna lose any more of these guys. I have 8 in the 10G now with a pregnant female, a few other females and males.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Bacterial infections can occur at lower temps but are more likely at higher temps. If any of the shrimp are clear and they are opaque white on the inside then bacterial or muscle necrosis.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Well, I’ve officially had it, I’ve lost another beautiful yellow rcs that my brother bought me without a trace. I removed the lemon tetra and mountain minnows as I saw one taking a little too much interest in the other yellow one he got me. I’m guessing they went for the shrimp after he molted. Shame. Maybe I’ll get some galaxy rasboras instead, always reminded me of brook trout.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode