Just got my first Freshwater Shrimp - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just got my first Freshwater Shrimp

I stopped by the local PetSmart, well local to my work not home. I bought another plant and 5 ghost shrimp.

When I got them I was not able to see them well in the bag. But when I started to float them I could see them really well. I saw that one of them molted while in the bag, and the biggest one is berried.

I acclimated them for about an hour to an hour and a half starting with just floating for 10 to 15 minutes and then adding tank water to the bag. I started with a couple 5 ml shots from a syringe about every 5 minutes for 20 minutes and then added about half a cup of water over the next 30 minutes. A bit after the last half cup I dropped them into the tank.

Two of the went into hiding right away. I am assuming the one that molted, and the berried female because I can't see her right now. The other three hit the ground and stalled for a minute or so and then started grazing for food off the gravel.

They appear to be happy and are not afraid of me at all.

Tim
evil8 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 06:38 PM
Algae Grower

That's great! Congratulations!
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 06:41 PM

Congrats! I had a few of these and they were so active and fun to watch, partially because they were bigger than cherries

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well four out of the five are out and about the tank. The berried female is still hiding.

Two of my shrimp seem to think they are fish. I expected to see them crawling across the plants and drift wood but two of them have just stayed on the gravel. The other two are just swimming across the glass from side to side like a fish. They might hit the gravel for a few seconds to eat something and then they are back to swimming.

Tim
Pythos likes this.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 02:55 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
Well four out of the five are out and about the tank. The berried female is still hiding.

Two of my shrimp seem to think they are fish. I expected to see them crawling across the plants and drift wood but two of them have just stayed on the gravel. The other two are just swimming across the glass from side to side like a fish. They might hit the gravel for a few seconds to eat something and then they are back to swimming.

Tim

I love it when they swim...

Yeah... I name my fish...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- "Dot"
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:13 AM
Algae Grower

Awesome! Congrats. I tend to prefer the ghosts over the cherries.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 02:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Congrats and welcome to the world of dwarf shrimp addiction! Don't beat yourself up if the female drops her eggs. It happens sometimes when they're new. Do you have a guard on your filter intake to keep babies out? It could be a prefilter sponge, Stainless steel screen, or just a media bag rubber banded over the intake but you'll want some means of baby proofing
livebearerlove likes this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

When females are releasing pheromones, it makes the males go nuts! So that may also be a reason for all the swimming.

If you want to acclimate them better, get a TDS meter... although since they are ghost shrimp, most people probably wouldn't even care to go that far for them.

Congrats though on your new additions!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 12:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Off topic a bit.
But yesterday my LFS got in a 3* inch long (body) Bamboo Fan Shrimp! I never saw one in person, the pics dont do it justice. I wanted it so bad!!! watching him twirl his fans....

I found a photo on the internet but it doesnt do it justice:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 7.19.50 AM.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	879481  

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 01:53 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearerlove View Post
Off topic a bit.
But yesterday my LFS got in a 3* inch long (body) Bamboo Fan Shrimp! I never saw one in person, the pics dont do it justice. I wanted it so bad!!! watching him twirl his fans....

I found a photo on the internet but it doesnt do it justice:
I got one by accident from petco in a plant order. I love him. He's a cool guy

20 Gallon Long tank journey

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well this weekend was the big test. I put them in on Friday and got them going. All five of them ended up coming out before the end of the day. Around 3:00 I turned the lights over to the nightlights, just Red, Blue and green (X2). I made sure the water was set and dropped a bit of food into the tank, then I left for the weekend.

I came in this morning and found the tank filthy... There are the white strips of something all over the tank. Some are tiny little pieces and some are long strips.

Name:  20190325_093505.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  95.9 KB

As you can see there is the white algae\moss on the drift wood. From my reading the shrimp either love it or ignore it. Either way it will normally disappear in a couple weeks. It looks like at least someone got into it because there is less of it there now. I at first thought that maybe the ribbons were from that algae but it looks more fuzzy on the wood and not in strips. If anyone has an idea about what it is please let me know.

I also found a couple of molts and have left them there.

I turned the lights on about a half hour ago and so far only one of the shrimp has made his presence known. He is foraging in the gravel and swimming across the tank now and then. I hope to see the other four soon.

Tim
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yesterday I only saw one of the shrimp. Today there are two of them out and about the tank. Maybe there is still some hope for the other three. How long do shrimp hide after they molt? I saw two molts yesterday so they may just be waiting for their shells to harden up.

I went to a PetCo down the street from work and was looking to see if they had their Amano mixed up with the Ghost shrimp. (Someone else on here got a few for .39 each over in McKinney) No Ghost Shrimp at all but they did have the Amano and Red Cherry shrimp for $3.99 each. I passed for now.

I did buy some plants while I was there. I planted one in my Nano at work where the shrimp are and the other three in the big tank at home. Sadly I think the one plant I put in the Nano has also brought in some algae. When I got to work this morning I found a black coating on some of the leaves. I am going to reduce the time of the light today and I did not add any ferts. I did a 1.25 gallon water change this morning as well. I'll let it sit like this for a while.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If the store isn't smart enough to look at the sku... they will price match to their website. Both for $2.79, 20% discount.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...s/amano-shrimp
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos.../cherry-shrimp
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
If the store isn't smart enough to look at the sku... they will price match to their website. Both for $2.79, 20% discount.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...s/amano-shrimp
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos.../cherry-shrimp

That is awesome to know. I may have to drop by and pick up a few for that price. Not as good as getting them from someone local but they are really close.

Tim
Zoidburg likes this.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
That is awesome to know. I may have to drop by and pick up a few for that price. Not as good as getting them from someone local but they are really close.

Tim
I have never purchased from a big box store, just small LFS (or in other countries the fish market, etc).
I cant imagine paying that small sum for things- I end up paying 8.00 a shrimp.
Big difference, lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode