RCS colony death - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
How to prepare water for a water change? I know that if my replacement water is less GH then overall GH will drop due to the dilution. But what about when you are mixing two waters with the same GH? Will it double or stay the same as long as both GH are the same?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If your GH/TDS goes up due to evaporation, then it's okay to have slightly lower GH/TDS to compensate for the higher parameters.

However, if the GH/TDS are where you want them, then just make new water to the same GH/TDS and you'll be fine.

If you have two 5 gallon buckets of water that the GH is at 5, and you put them into a larger container, then the GH will still be 5.
Plantmytank likes this.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

GH is 7 and my shrimp is still dying right after they molt. And I found almost microscopic creatures gathering in the water right beneath LED. As soon as the light are off the creatures disappear.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 03:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If you went from a GH of 3 to 7, that's unfortunately expected to happen.... they need time to adjust to different parameters.

Could also be diet related, maybe they are getting too much protein and not enough algae and vegetables?

Maybe the tank is too warm?

Or too large/fast of water changes?
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Water changes were 2 gal out of 10 were replaced every week. I have never dripped the replacement water. Always siphon out about 2 gal and put back about the same amount (treated obviously). The tank is between 72-73 F.

When I was adding water with Equilibrium it took whole night to drip that into the tank.

Food: I dropped a big ball here. I always fed them betta pellets and Tetra Pro Pleco Wafers. Never had a dedicated shrimp food. Never fed them veggies either because was afraid that whatever I can buy from a store would contain pesticides and who knows what else.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
If you went from a GH of 3 to 7, that's unfortunately expected to happen.... they need time to adjust to different parameters.

Could also be diet related, maybe they are getting too much protein and not enough algae and vegetables?

Maybe the tank is too warm?

Or too large/fast of water changes?
Water changes were 2 gal out of 10 were replaced every week. I have never dripped the replacement water. Always siphon out about 2 gal and put back about the same amount (treated obviously). The tank is between 72-73 F.

When I was adding water with Equilibrium it took whole night to drip that into the tank.

Food: I dropped a big ball here. I always fed them betta pellets and Tetra Pro Pleco Wafers. Never had a dedicated shrimp food. Never fed them veggies either because was afraid that whatever I can buy from a store would contain pesticides and who knows what else.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just fed my shrimp kale for the first time. I have never seen them dragging food around the tank trying to take it away from other shrimp! I hope that will replenish Ca and the vitamins that they have been missing all this time.
I still hope that they will recover.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 02:53 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantmytank View Post
Just fed my shrimp kale for the first time. I have never seen them dragging food around the tank trying to take it away from other shrimp! I hope that will replenish Ca and the vitamins that they have been missing all this time.
I still hope that they will recover.

I had the same unexplained issue with RCS dying (and they're supposed to be hardier than CRS) for a few months: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...g-one-one.html
After raising Gh to 7-8 (it was 5 before), they were still dying. I think that I may have found the issue recently: the food that I was exclusively giving them was too dense/had too much protein. I have 10-15 shrimps left in my 40 gal now, and I don't feed them anything anymore as they have enough with all the biofilm etc. from the plants, and they're doing way better! I won't make the same mistake twice and feed them "shrimp food" or any other protein based pellet on a daily basis. When I'll feed them it's gonna be some blanched kale/zucchini/spinach and nothing else. Eventually a little treat once in a while with some "Shrimp cuisine".
I really hope that you will find the issue with your shrimps. Good luck!
Plantmytank and Zoidburg like this.

Last edited by Broutilde; 02-11-2019 at 03:54 AM. Reason: .
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broutilde View Post
I had the same unexplained issue with RCS dying (and they're supposed to be hardier than CRS) for a few months: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...g-one-one.html
After raising Gh to 7-8 (it was 3-4 before), they were still dying. I think that I may have found the issue recently: the food that I was exclusively giving them was too dense/had too much protein. I have 10-15 shrimps left in my 40 gal now, and I don't feed them anything anymore as they have enough with all the biofilm etc. from the plant, and they're doing way better! I won't make the same mistake twice and feed them "shrimp food" or any other protein based pellet on a daily basis. When I'll feed them it's gonna be some blanched kale/zucchini/spinach and nothing else. Eventually a little treat once in a while with some "Shrimp cuisine".
I really hope that you will find the issue with your shrimps. Good luck!
Thanks a lot!
This is exactly my situation! I was feeding them some junk food and here are the results. I hope they will be able to recover though.
Zoidburg and Broutilde like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode