snail id - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tampa Area
Posts: 215
snail id

Can you please help me id these snails, i believe they are MTS. I think they came in the substrate i bought from a LFS tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190122_192248.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	876193  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190122_192309.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	876195  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190122_192408.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	876197  

SR52012 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 403
Looks like MTS to me.

Not sure if they'll burrow in gravel, but they're great for churning up sand. They reproduce pretty quickly though and produce a fair amount of waste.

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Thelongsnail is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tampa Area
Posts: 215
I have watched them dig in and out of the gravel and i have alot of babies in my tank, so i think they are breeding like rabbits.
SR52012 is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 12:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Blacktetra's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 656
They are some kind of Malaysian Trumpet Snail. Some people hate them because they breed rapidly. In my limited experience they only breed rapidly when they have ample food supply. Which means a bunch of fish waste or leftover bits of fish food that have gotten into the gravel.

How often do you vacuum your gravel?

Christian, husband, brother, friend, hobbyist.
Blacktetra is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 03:17 PM
Algae Grower
 
64D-1701's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 101
I've noticed a big difference between snail populations with and without CO2. Without CO2, MTS multiply rapidly and grow fairly large. With CO2, I only see a few tiny ones. Some may be in the substrate, which is a good thing, but I never see more than a few babies elsewhere. Same with ramshorn and pond snails. I also noticed that nerite snails lay lots of eggs with no CO2, and stop laying them in CO2. I really like snails, but I stopped adding them to my CO2 tank, because their shells deteriorate and it's not a friendly environment for them. I had a few Japanese trapdoor snails that basically disintegrated in my CO2 tank.

55 Gallon Planted / Pressurized CO2 / 2 Finnex Planted+ CC LEDs / Fluval 306 & 406 / Vecton UV / EI Ferts / Flourite Black
64D-1701 is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tampa Area
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktetra View Post
They are some kind of Malaysian Trumpet Snail. Some people hate them because they breed rapidly. In my limited experience they only breed rapidly when they have ample food supply. Which means a bunch of fish waste or leftover bits of fish food that have gotten into the gravel.

How often do you vacuum your gravel?

I have not vacuumed the gravel since i started the tank, i have just done a few water changes. I use to have 4 small blood fin tetras in the tank, removed them and now it is shrimp and snail only.
SR52012 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Blacktetra's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR52012 View Post
I have not vacuumed the gravel since i started the tank, i have just done a few water changes. I use to have 4 small blood fin tetras in the tank, removed them and now it is shrimp and snail only.
How long have you had the tank?
If a significant amount of time, you probably have a ton of mulm down there they are hunting through. If you can vacuum the gravel it will slow down their multiplying. Just don't vacuum too much at once. There's likely a lot of beneficial bacteria in there that would be good to keep. If you have had the tank over 5 months, I would recommend only vacuuming either 1/4 of the tank every two or three weeks the first time, until you've cleaned all of it. OR clean all of the top, but don't clean deep down. The snails will go deeper, continue to multiply, but eventually, if you vacuum the top every few weeks, they will run out of food and shrink in numbers.
If you don't mind them being there, consider them garbage collectors. If you dislike them, you can do a few things to get rid of them. The most natural being a combination of cleaning the gravel as suggested, capturing them with bait sometimes works, and others just reach in and smush them, or throw them in the trash every time they see them, until they're pretty much all gone.
Any kind of chemical or medicine you might use to kill off the snails would likely kill your shrimp though.
You could also get assassin snails, though I'm not sure how effective they are with MTS, they eat other snails.

Christian, husband, brother, friend, hobbyist.
Blacktetra is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 09:18 PM
Algae Grower
 
coolmoonguy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 14
def MTS
coolmoonguy is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tampa Area
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktetra View Post
How long have you had the tank?
If a significant amount of time, you probably have a ton of mulm down there they are hunting through. If you can vacuum the gravel it will slow down their multiplying. Just don't vacuum too much at once. There's likely a lot of beneficial bacteria in there that would be good to keep. If you have had the tank over 5 months, I would recommend only vacuuming either 1/4 of the tank every two or three weeks the first time, until you've cleaned all of it. OR clean all of the top, but don't clean deep down. The snails will go deeper, continue to multiply, but eventually, if you vacuum the top every few weeks, they will run out of food and shrink in numbers.
If you don't mind them being there, consider them garbage collectors. If you dislike them, you can do a few things to get rid of them. The most natural being a combination of cleaning the gravel as suggested, capturing them with bait sometimes works, and others just reach in and smush them, or throw them in the trash every time they see them, until they're pretty much all gone.
Any kind of chemical or medicine you might use to kill off the snails would likely kill your shrimp though.
You could also get assassin snails, though I'm not sure how effective they are with MTS, they eat other snails.


Im pretty OK with them multiplying right now, i have a few friends that needs some and i might be able to trade some for plants or other items in the future. If the numbers get out of control i will harvest a bunch of them and give them away.
SR52012 is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
List of hobby inverts MABJ Shrimp & Other Invertebrates 43 10-04-2013 02:44 PM
Apple Snail History/Responsibility fordtrannyman Shrimp & Other Invertebrates 0 01-15-2009 05:45 PM
Turkey Baster For Snail Control?? Homer_Simpson General Planted Tank Discussion 16 01-07-2009 09:17 PM
Otocinclus (Oto) eat crushed snail? Choco Fish 2 11-02-2008 01:49 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome