Need to identify this worm - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Nigel95

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need to identify this worm

Hi guys i have a planted 10 gallon tank that i have had now for 5 months and it is going great the shrimps population exploded and the plants are also going great.the guppies didnt survive i guess they couldn't go with the shrimps and now its shrimp only tank. The water parameters are also great..
And just in case i also made an overhead sump for the aquarium to provide extra filtration and added plants to the sump to control nitrates.

Two days ago after i cleaned algae of the aquarium wall i noticed copepods on the aquarium wall huge number of them everywhere.. atleast that is what i think they are after researching online.. they are small white flea types just going around on the walls and things like crazy.
Could you guys tell me if copepods are bad for shrimps ??

And i also found some worms in the substrate. I dont think they are planaria as they dont have the triange head and are very small. And dont feel like they are attacking shrimps as the shrimps are breeding and i have 4 to 5 shrimps with eggs. I have a healthy colony of probably 60+ shrimps. And i feed them just 4 to 5 of the food picture i attached..with ocassional zucchini slice. Do you think i am overfeeding ?

I have attached some picture of the worm if someone can tell me what it is and is it harmful?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180801_032729_1533084195817.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	866171  

Name:	20180801_032810_1533084900778.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	866173  

Name:	20180801_032809_1533084928764.jpg
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	866175  

Name:	20180801_033356_1533084946355.jpg
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	866177  

Name:	20180728_192859_1533084986604.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	866179  

Name:	20180728_234639_1533085075888.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	866181  

Name:	20180801_035915_1533085202993.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	866183  

Name:	20180801_035838_1533085220457.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	866185  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 01:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziadnasir View Post
Hi guys i have a planted 10 gallon tank that i have had now for 5 months and it is going great the shrimps population exploded and the plants are also going great.the guppies didnt survive i guess they couldn't go with the shrimps and now its shrimp only tank. The water parameters are also great..
And just in case i also made an overhead sump for the aquarium to provide extra filtration and added plants to the sump to control nitrates.

Two days ago after i cleaned algae of the aquarium wall i noticed copepods on the aquarium wall huge number of them everywhere.. atleast that is what i think they are after researching online.. they are small white flea types just going around on the walls and things like crazy.

And i also found some worms in the substrate. I dont think they are planaria as they dont have the triange head and are very small. And dont feel like they are attacking shrimps as the shrimps are breeding and i have 4 to 5 shrimps with eggs. I have a healthy colony of probably 60+ shrimps. And i feed them just 4 to 5 of the food picture i attached..with ocassional zucchini slice. Do you think i am overfeeding ?

I have attached some picture of the worm if someone can tell me what it is and is it harmful?
Copepods are harmless, natural part of the tank. In many aquariums, fish keep their populations low, but shrimp won't eat them. They could also be seed shrimp, harmless as well.

Worms appear to be rhabdocoela, also harmless and a normal part of most tanks. Hard to tell for sure, but I agree that they don't look like planaria.

How often are you feeding that amount? I feed very little to my colony, feeding only 3x/wk. They get a small amount of veggie sticks or algae wafer.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
Quote:

Copepods are harmless, natural part of the tank. In many aquariums, fish keep their populations low, but shrimp won't eat them. They could also be seed shrimp, harmless as well.

Worms appear to be rhabdocoela, also harmless and a normal part of most tanks. Hard to tell for sure, but I agree that they don't look like planaria.

How often are you feeding that amount? I feed very little to my colony, feeding only 3x/wk. They get a small amount of veggie sticks or algae wafer.
I was feeding that amount everyday lol, As they used to completely finish it with in an hour or two. But i feel like it might be over feed.. i give them zuchini once a week and i wont feed anything else for next day aswell. As they take 2 days to finish the zuchini..
Zuchini i provide them in a glass bowl so as to not leave it lying around in the substrate.

How often do you water change ?? With the sump i have been able to take longer days for water change 2 to 3 weeks.. just top up in the middle..
But i do not disturb the substrate while water change as it really sucks up the aquirum soil and leaves soil on everything. Is that wrong ?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 09:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
I was feeding that amount everyday lol, As they used to completely finish it with in an hour or two. But i feel like it might be over feed.. i give them zuchini once a week and i wont feed anything else for next day aswell. As they take 2 days to finish the zuchini..
Zuchini i provide them in a glass bowl so as to not leave it lying around in the substrate.

How often do you water change ?? With the sump i have been able to take longer days for water change 2 to 3 weeks.. just top up in the middle..
But i do not disturb the substrate while water change as it really sucks up the aquirum soil and leaves soil on everything. Is that wrong ?
As long as they are cleaning up all the food you're giving them in a timely manner, I wouldn't worry about it.
I water change my shrimp tank weekly, 50%. I'm running high tech, so ferts, co2 and high light. I've never ran a soil tank, so I'm not too much help there. @Nigel95 posted a cool video on how he gets the detritus up and out of his tanks. Maybe he can post that here, as I can't remember where I saw it.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 12:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

hello here is the video
trillscape, rosyrobyn and Reks like this.

My Tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel95 View Post
hello here is the video <a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/smilie/icon_smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smile" >:-)</a>

Thank you.. that does look like a good idea to clean a planted tank.. cause of the shrimplets i was hesitant to siphon from the bottom. But i guess this would probably help me in that matter.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 07:00 PM
Algae Grower

That's how I do my tank shrimp tank as well and I do get smaller shrimp every so often. Mine is a 10 gallon so I use a 5 gallon bucket and allow the water/dirt to settle. I also have a valve in the side of the bucket so I cover the hole from the inside with my shrimp net and open the valve. Once a good portion of the water is gone I then collect any escapees
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 08:57 PM
Algae Grower

Just feed less to avoid having a lot of visible worms in the tank. Feed less and do more water changes. Weekly water changes should do it.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience"
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofwater View Post
That's how I do my tank shrimp tank as well and I do get smaller shrimp every so often. Mine is a 10 gallon so I use a 5 gallon bucket and allow the water/dirt to settle. I also have a valve in the side of the bucket so I cover the hole from the inside with my shrimp net and open the valve. Once a good portion of the water is gone I then collect any escapees
That is also a good idea, i need to find a bucket like that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCMark View Post
Just feed less to avoid having a lot of visible worms in the tank. Feed less and do more water changes. Weekly water changes should do it.
I already have started on that. And now i only feed them in glass dish so the food wont go in to the substrate when shrimps break it up. That was i believe the main problem.
Weekly water changes i believe might upset the aquarium balance as the shrimps are really happy with 8 berried shrimps now, Did water test yesterday and everything was in perfect levels.
I do change it after 2 weeks or 3 sometimes.. and top up in the middle..
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 07:17 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:

I already have started on that. And now i only feed them in glass dish so the food wont go in to the substrate when shrimps break it up. That was i believe the main problem.
Weekly water changes i believe might upset the aquarium balance as the shrimps are really happy with 8 berried shrimps now, Did water test yesterday and everything was in perfect levels.
True, if your ecosystem in that tank is used to the water changes you are doing then don't change anything. By the way, try to avoid placing the dish in the same place all the time when you are feeding them. There's a slight chance cyanobacteria will develop on the spot where you place the dish.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience"
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 04:45 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:

Any 5 gallon bucket will do. I bought the spigot/valve separate and just drilled the hole and installed. I think it was labelled as a rain barrel spigot with bulkhead. There was enough give in the bucket that it doesn't leak. As an added benefit I bought a 5 gallon with measurements on the side so I know what I'm taking out and than ultimately what I'm putting back in. Its how I fill my smaller tanks that I don't want to bother setting up my python for.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 06:43 PM
Algae Grower

It's planaria. They won't hurt your fish or aquarium. I've heard once you get them, it's hard to get rid of them. Here's an article that's very helpful! https://www.aquariadise.com/planaria-in-the-aquarium/
Attached Images

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 07:03 PM
Algae Grower

I know everyone here is agreeing it's not planaria, but you can see when you have the parasite in the turkey baster, the head is shaped exactly the same as in the pic I provided you. Trust me, it's planaria. Of course I can't be positive, but to me the shape is unmistakeable.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCMark View Post
Quote:

True, if your ecosystem in that tank is used to the water changes you are doing then don't change anything. By the way, try to avoid placing the dish in the same place all the time when you are feeding them. There's a slight chance cyanobacteria will develop on the spot where you place the dish.
Yeah thanks for that advice i have 2 feeding spots in the tank so i removed one of the dish for a while and then ill keep switching to avoid bacteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofwater View Post
Quote:

Any 5 gallon bucket will do. I bought the spigot/valve separate and just drilled the hole and installed. I think it was labelled as a rain barrel spigot with bulkhead. There was enough give in the bucket that it doesn't leak. As an added benefit I bought a 5 gallon with measurements on the side so I know what I'm taking out and than ultimately what I'm putting back in. Its how I fill my smaller tanks that I don't want to bother setting up my python for.
I have a 5 gallon bucket so i just need to drill a hole and add a bulkhead..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CotMHBlu7 View Post
It's planaria. They won't hurt your fish or aquarium. I've heard once you get them, it's hard to get rid of them. Here's an article that's very helpful! https://www.aquariadise.com/planaria-in-the-aquarium/
Quote:
Originally Posted by CotMHBlu7 View Post
I know everyone here is agreeing it's not planaria, but you can see when you have the parasite in the turkey baster, the head is shaped exactly the same as in the pic I provided you. Trust me, it's planaria. Of course I can't be positive, but to me the shape is unmistakeable.
No i took a long look at it again for a while and i realised it is rhabdocoela. The edge you i guess are refering to in the pic is its back side and it distorted manly due to the scratches on the baster. But the head isnt like planaria its just like rhabdocoela

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode