Again! Baby Amano in freshwater - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 4 Post By mgeorges
  • 2 Post By mgeorges

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Again! Baby Amano in freshwater

Hi all! I'm new to the forum, but have been reading a lot in the last years!

Had a lot of tank in the early 2000's and have just began again sooner this year. As you can see, my english is not that good i'm from quebec!
So to the point:

I have a tank with 12 neon, 12 tetra, some red cherry, yellow and amano shrimps. I had one big yellow shrimp pregnant of wich like 6-7 shrimps survived.
I had 1 big pregnant amano but has I read, the baby wouldnt survive. The problem (or miracle!) is that last weak, i found a lot of littles shrimps grey color and the only pregnant one was an amano, wich is no more pregnant.

Here are some pictures, are theses amano baby, or something else?

Thanks a lot and sorry for my bad english!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180601_164817.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	859217  

Name:	20180601_164852.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	859225  

Name:	20180601_164832.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	859233  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 06:17 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by camos1313 View Post
I had one big yellow shrimp pregnant of wich like 6-7 shrimps survived.
I had 1 big pregnant amano but has I read, the baby wouldnt survive. The problem (or miracle!) is that last weak, i found a lot of littles shrimps grey color and the only pregnant one was an amano, wich is no more pregnant.

You don't have any strains of tiger or snowball shrimp in there do you? because short of that I don't know what else would look like the shrimp right there.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Nope! Only yellow, red cherry and Amano!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:11 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by camos1313 View Post
Nope! Only yellow, red cherry and Amano!
Is there any of your hardscape that would have provided a salt content or pocket to the aquarium? Otherwise you may have just inadvertently stumbled across a new strain of Amanos that can breed in fresh water, which if it is possible, you are now a rich man
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
That is not an Amano, that is a wild type(or wild revert) Neocaridina. They will breed with your other colored Neo's and produce more revert Neo's. If those were sold to you as Amano's, I'm sorry to tell you they are not.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:29 PM
Algae Grower

Amanos can spawn in freshwater, but the young won't survive or ever look like shrimp at all. They need brackish water to mature anything past little specs in the water. So, as others have said above, those aren't amanos.

That being said - nice looking tank!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

What I dont understand is that the only pregnant shrimp was an Amano...The yellow mother died months ago.

I'll keep u posted with better pics!

Bump: What I dont understand is that the only pregnant shrimp was an Amano...The yellow mother died months ago.

I'll keep u posted with better pics!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

Post a picture of the Amano. It's more likely you have an adult Neo revert.

RCS can throw wild type reverts, especially if cross-breeding. So if a male yellow bred with a female RCS, you're very likely to get wild types.

Bump: @camos1313 What I'm telling you though, beyond any shadow of a doubt, is that those juvenile shrimp are not Amano shrimp. They are 100%, unequivocally, Neo reverts. Google a photo of a Neo wild type, then Google a picture of an Amano, and you will find you have juvenile Neo reverts. They are not that similar in appearance, and your juvenile shrimp do not look like Amano's at all. I'm not trying to be mean, or condescending at all, just explaining that there shouldn't be ANY confusion here.
Zoidburg and Zoidburg like this.

Last edited by mgeorges; 06-04-2018 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Add
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Tx for the reply! No offense taken!!!

All my amano are without a doubt amano... so the only possibility is that one of the pretty small cherry got pregnant without telling me!!!
Can a 1cm RCS or yellow breed?

Tx again!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 10:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

The RCS I see in the first picture is definitely large enough to reproduce and appears to be female. I've had shrimp as small as 1cm-1.5cm saddle.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If the yellow mother died "months ago", then those babies are "months ago" old.

You said that 7 babies survived... maybe those wild type Neos are from her?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 05:32 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
If the yellow mother died "months ago", then those babies are "months ago" old.

You said that 7 babies survived... maybe those wild type Neos are from her?

That's what I was thinking too.

That "shrimplet" looks like juvie/sub-adult ish, hard to get scale without other shrimp nearby. They don't get that size for... several months.

So now the question @camos1313 is whether you are ok with almost all your future shrimp looking like that, or whether you should get the wildtypes out of the tank and separate the RCS and yellow neos (since this is what happens when they interbreed).
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 01:28 PM
Algae Grower

It would help to see a pic of the adult Amano shrimp. Mine berry all the time, but as has already been said, the juvis don’t survive in straight fresh water.

Although.... and this could be straight up nonsense, if someone were to have a home water softener, It’s not impossible that the additional salt content could be sufficient enough for a handful of the most hardy offspring to survive... ya never know! Lol as Jeff goldblum says “life finds a way”!

The baby shrimp do look “amano-ie” but they could also just be wild form cherry shrimp or a hybrid neo of some kind. Since you have cherry shrimp in the tank, I’d say that’s prolly the most likely culprit, but again I’ve seen too much on this hobby that is “never supposed to happen” to say it’s not possible and with the demand for amano shrimp, there are all kinds of related swamp shrimps from vientam and Indonesia getting pawned off as amanos, so that’s a definite possibility too.

Let’s see the momma so we can figure this out!

Experience: worked in fishroom of Eddies Aquarium in Albany all through college, 20 years of keeping reef tanks, planted tanks, and dart frog vivariums.

Current/in-progress tanks: 20 gallon hi tech tank in office, 120 gallon nature/tetra aquarium at home.

Philosophy: work with what you’ve got, and make choices based on the conditions that easiest for you to maintain over time.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode