Vampire crab problems and questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thumbs down Vampire crab problems and questions

My Vampire crab tank setup currently has:
-reptisoil
-sand with calcium in it(not live)
-Frog Moss, Entodon moss, Short Capsule moss and a few others.
-Drift wood that I found and washed
-The water dish is big and takes up 15% of the entire tank and only has rain water in it.
-The hygrometer usually reads about 40-50 humidty which I cant keep high for some reason
-Temp of tank is 60F to 70 (should try to get it to 80 i think)
-was feeding them crickets but then noticed a cricket eating one of my dead crabs so I got rid of crickets and now feed them Hermit Crab food by Zoo Med which is what big als recommended. I have blood worms but I heard they can be filled with parasites (sounds risky) and i'm not sure how you feed them to a crab.
-I dont have a lid to my terrarium so maybe the humidity is escaping but i cant have a lid in order to keep my lights shining into the tank and providing heat
-lights are: 25W repti Basking spot light which i never turn off since my basement can get cold and a florescent for the plants which is on a timer.

So I have had nothing but trouble with Vampire crabs and Red-devils. I purchased them at Big Al's in Ontario Canada who claims they are privately bred. I have lost about 15 crabs over the course of 4 months. I started out with 8 and they were doing pretty good at first and then started to die off one by one every few days. I was so mad as they cost $12 a piece and so I went back and told them what had happened. They told me to use Prime in the water dish so that it detoxifies the ammonium and nitrites. Then I purchased one individual so that I wouldn't have mass casualties again because I hate killing them. He lived about 5 days before he died. I went back to them and they said to try it again but increase the humidity of the tank. I spray my tank with rain water a lot now and he still died and some of the pellets I was feeding him even turned white with fuzz as maybe it was so humid that mold was growing. I don't know what to do as I really want to keep vampire crabs even if I cant keep them with the red devils. They clearly are dying by themselves and in the group so It must be something to do with my setup. What am I doing wrong? everything? I would add an image but when I hit add image it asks me to enter the URL for my image and its not on the internet so doesn't work.

also what kind of lid do you keep on your tank to make sure it stays humid. I have a fluorescent light and a reptile spot heat light and i'm not sure how to keep a lid when those are directly above my tank. I don't want to block the heat or block the fluorescent from reaching my crabs or plants. Also I don't want to burn something with these light fixtures. should I buy a piece acrylic and cut out a spot for the heat lamp and fluorescent to fit through?

Thanks, for any advice you can share
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 02:05 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
do you find that

Bump: Do you find that the crabs climb out of the tank? as I have a lid on mine and I want to take it off but I am nervous they will climb out.

For my setup- which is doing well and I keep them in Ontario water too.... is I never use chlorine water. I take the water from my fish tank and put it in my vampire tank. I also filter the water with a pump that is placed under a substrate that is supported by high-quality media which then pumps the water to there land mass. (they have roughly 1-2 gallons of water.)

as for the heat- I use an aquarium heater in the water at 78F. since it is inclosed- it provides plenty of humidity and enough heat.

I also have plants that I bought from home depot in it. they are all doing fine.

I use a strong light on top.

Tags
crab, how to, red devil crab, setup, vampire crabs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode