1Likes
  • 2 Post By mheat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Seachem Flourish

Is Flourish safe for baby shrimps?

I can see 20+ baby CRS eating biofilm on the tank wall most of the time. Each time when I does Flourish, the next day, I can find only a few of them around. I have plants in my 5G tank. Each week, I does 3ml of Flourish, 3 ml of Potassium, 1ml of Phosphorus, 1 ml of iron, all from Seachem. 10% water change bi-weekly. I am not sure if baby shrimps are just hiding because there are a lot of plants. Juvenile and adult CRS shrimps are fine. There are 6-7 female are berried all the time, so I see new born babies each day.

The amount fert I does is much less than the recommended amount for planted tank (5G). There are shrimps growing up, but I expect more base on the number of berried shrimps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Flourish is fine to use. There's not enough Cu to worry about (which is the only thing toxic in there really). It's mostly just iron and a lean mix of micro nutrients with barely any macros. You'll want to take it easy on macros if breeding shrimp is a focus. They just don't like crazy high levels of nutrients like full EI dosing. Keeping nitrates around 5 ppm, phosphorus around 1 ppm and potassium about 10 ppm is what I typically aim for in a planted shrimp tank.

As for the babies, they will also hide at first, then after they molt a couple times, you'll see more of them. Just be sure to keep plenty of biofilm for them to eat. Bacter AE helps tremendously with that. There are other products too that will do the same thing but Bacter AE is all I've ever used. They all go nuts for the stuff. Babies, juveniles and adults alike.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 03:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

So if I understand it right... you have a 5 gallon tank?

Flourish - recommended dosage is 5ml for 60g - you should be dosing .40 ml

Potassium - recommended dosage is 5 ml for 30g - should be .80 ml

Phosphorous - recommended dosage is 2.5 ml for 20g - should be .60 ml

Iron - recommended dosage is 5ml for 50g - should be .50 ml

This not taking into account substrate and decorations.... in which case, you would want to dose even less than that

Is my calculation wrong?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I wrote it wrong. It is 0.3ml Flourish, 0.3ml Potassium, 0.1ml Phosphorous, 0.1ml iron per week. So I am lean on dosage.
Zoidburg and Zoidburg like this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 03:29 PM
Planted Member

It should be perfectly safe as long as you're dosing properly for the size of your tank. I use it in my tank and have no problems with the shrimp. It shouldn't affect the babies, I've heard they can be really skittish and hide until they get a bit older (I'll find this out first hand when my own RCS hatch from my berried female)

Life without an aquarium is just flat out boring, Unfortunately like most in the hobby I'm highly susceptible to Multiple-Tank-itis.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode