Half my shrimp died after introducing them to my tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hey guys, just to give a general background of my tank. It's been running for a few months now and it's finished it's cycle.

Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 0.5ppm
GH and KH - around 140-200ppm (it's on the high side I know)

I've got 4 North Queensland algae shrimp in there who are doing great.
I bought blue dream cherry shrimp online and drip acclimated them for at least and hour and they seemed to do fine at first, they were for aging straight away. The next day I found 2 dead in the morning while one was twitching on its side. The strange thing is two of them molted later on.

Just as I was typing this another shrimp freezed up and seemed to die while it was swimming through the water.

Other than the high gh and kh I don't know what else is wrong with my tank. How do I lower my gh and kh?

Last edited by Mikhoreng; 05-18-2018 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling error gf to gh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 03:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhoreng View Post
Hey guys, just to give a general background of my tank. It's been running for a few months now and it's finished it's cycle.

Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 0.5ppm
GF and KH - around 140-200ppm (it's on the high side I know)

I bought blue dream cherry shrimp online and drip acclimated them for at least and hour and they seemed to do fine at first, they were for aging straight away. The next day I found 2 dead in the morning while one was twitching on its side. The strange thing is two of them molted later on.

Just as I was typing this another shrimp freezed up and seemed to die while it was swimming through the water.

Other than the high gh and kh I don't know what else is wrong with my tank. How do I lower my gh and kh?
A 1 hour drip is pretty short. Where did you purchase your shrimp from?
What are your individual GH and KH values? 140-200 ppm for what/which? What's your pH and temp?

You don't necessarily want to lower your GH and KH values, depending on what they are. Neo's are highly adaptable, but if you've purchased imported vs tank raised shrimp, you're probably not going to have a good time. The only proper way to deal with GH and KH values is to start using RO water and remineralizing. You can't make this jump all at once or you will almost certainly kill your remaining shrimp. They do not like parameter swings.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
Quote:

Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 0.5ppm
GF and KH - around 140-200ppm (it's on the high side I know)

A 1 hour drip is pretty short. Where did you purchase your shrimp from?
What are your individual GH and KH values? 140-200 ppm for what/which? What's your pH and temp?

You don't necessarily want to lower your GH and KH values, depending on what they are. Neo's are highly adaptable, but if you've purchased imported vs tank raised shrimp, you're probably not going to have a good time. The only proper way to deal with GH and KH values is to start using RO water and remineralizing. You can't make this jump all at once or you will almost certainly kill your remaining shrimp. They do not like parameter swings.
How long do you recommend dripping them for? I purchased them from a site called allfish2u.com. I used the api gh and kh test kit and they both fall into the 140-200 opm category and that's as precise as they go.

Temp- 22 degrees celcius
Ph- 6.8-7.1

What's the difference between imported vs tank raised shrimp?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 09:25 PM
Algae Grower

if the shrimp weren't juvinille shrimp then usually expect them to not do so well. If you're going to drip them maybe 2-3 hours. But I always ask to make sure the shrimp I'll be receiving are juvenile shrimp. I feel like companies that sell adult shrimp don't know what they're doing or are just selling for pure profit.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 09:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
How long do you recommend dripping them for? I purchased them from a site called allfish2u.com. I used the api gh and kh test kit and they both fall into the 140-200 opm category and that's as precise as they go.

Temp- 22 degrees celcius
Ph- 6.8-7.1

What's the difference between imported vs tank raised shrimp?
Difference between tank raised and imported is their likelihood to survive. Imported frequently show up with parasites and tend to just not acclimate very well. If you get some babies out of imports, you're generally good to go, but you could still be dealing with parasites in the tank. You're in AU, so I have no clue whether that company raises their own or imports.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Did you use a test strip or the liquid test kits?

Do you know what GH and KH they came out of?

Do you know the GH and KH of your source water?

It's not necessarily high GH and KH, for Neos...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post

Difference between tank raised and imported is their likelihood to survive. Imported frequently show up with parasites and tend to just not acclimate very well. If you get some babies out of imports, you're generally good to go, but you could still be dealing with parasites in the tank. You're in AU, so I have no clue whether that company raises their own or imports.
Oh I see. I hope they were tank raised then. It doesn't look like they were carrying parasites. It's been a couple of days and their tank mates seem fine. It's just the blue dream shrimps. Thanks mrgeorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Did you use a test strip or the liquid test kits?

Do you know what GH and KH they came out of?

Do you know the GH and KH of your source water?

It's not necessarily high GH and KH, for Neos...
I used the liquid test strips. The gh for my source water is 7 and the kh is 3

I just realized one of the ferts I use bumps up the kh and raises potassium. Do you think it's safe to keep dosing? It's the aquavitro carbonate for plants.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 03:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You don't need to convert from German degrees to ppm... German degrees, aka how many drops it takes to change the color of the water, is just fine!

I don't know about the ferts/potassium, but it did remind me of this recent thread.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88...e-inverts.html

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode