Other food sources for shrimp - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Reks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Other food sources for shrimp

So currently I'm feeding my shrimp some sinking pellets and on occasion some spiriluna powder, I've heard spinach can be fed to them after boiling it? How long would I have to boil it before putting it in the tank?

What are some of your favorite food sources you feed your shrimp and preparation methods?

Life without an aquarium is just flat out boring, Unfortunately like most in the hobby I'm highly susceptible to Multiple-Tank-itis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 08:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I feed my shrimp bee pollen, mulberry leaves, algae wafers and a couple other premium foods.
Mulberry leaves and bee pollen I just toss in the tank. Make sure you get the mulberry leaves from a non pesticide source.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm too drunk to scape this tank.

I don't like aquatic plants, I love them.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 12:36 AM
Algae Grower

Agreed with the above. Zucchini, cucumber, and kale are also great. Organic and blanched. I leave the kale in and they swarm it the next day as it starts to yellow.

Shrimp will eat all kinds of stuff though. Fish flakes, pellets, frozen blood worms etc. Just make sure to vary the diet and don't overfeed. A small colony will survive solely off biofilm and detritus.

Bacter AE is praised pretty highly by many enthusiasts.

Underwater gardening!?! Where have you been all my life?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jercarr2018 View Post
I feed my shrimp bee pollen, mulberry leaves, algae wafers and a couple other premium foods.
Mulberry leaves and bee pollen I just toss in the tank. Make sure you get the mulberry leaves from a non pesticide source.
Mountain rose herbs has a storefront here, they supply organic herbs and stuff and I think they have mulberry leaves so I think I'll stop by there today and pick some up for my shrimp of they have any! Thanks for the suggestion!
jercarr2018 and jercarr2018 like this.

Life without an aquarium is just flat out boring, Unfortunately like most in the hobby I'm highly susceptible to Multiple-Tank-itis.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 07:24 PM
Algae Grower

fresh vegies are great! I have also cultivated algae on rocks and dropped them into the tank every once in a while shrimp love that. So anything Green is great for them. some people also use spinach!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I got some organic bee pollen for the shrimp today and they seem to have interest in it, I assume when I boil things like zuchinni, spinach and cucumber I'd want to boil it long enough for it to be soft/mushy? Or is there a particular length of time I should boil for?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 11:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reks View Post
I got some organic bee pollen for the shrimp today and they seem to have interest in it, I assume when I boil things like zuchinni, spinach and cucumber I'd want to boil it long enough for it to be soft/mushy? Or is there a particular length of time I should boil for?
I do spinach for like, 30 to 60 seconds in boiling water - just enough to blanch it.

I do harder stuff like zuchinni and cucumber longer - until easily forked soft.

Then I attach one of the free lead plant weights to hold it in place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180427_144640_1526685982700.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	855754

My tank journal.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 11:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

zuchinni and cucumber and catappa leaves. They get lazy with algae though

On hiatus till later this year

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode