How long before a saddle turns to berries? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
How long before a saddle turns to berries?

I bought 15 yellow golden back shrimp about 3 weeks ago. Within days all of them started developing saddles except for two shrimp. However, none of them are berried yet, so I'm trying to figure out if those two that don't have obvious saddles are males and I just have to wait longer for the females to be berried or if maybe I don't have any males at all. What's the longest that it can take before saddled females get berried if there are makes present?

Thanks,
Harry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you have mature males and females, then you can have berried females the next day - as long as the female molts. When my S.O. got into shrimp, we got a pair from the store. Female saddled. The day after getting them home, the female was berried.

Alternatively, I've also had a colony go 6/7 months without *ANY* breeding. I had other shrimp in the same tank and in different tanks breeding, but not this colony... don't know what it was either that stopped them from breeding.

So you may just need to give it time and wait to see if those two you are unsure of are in fact males or if they are young females. It may also be a good idea to contact the seller and let them know that you got mostly females in the group.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode