Can't decide which type of snail would be good in my tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can't decide which type of snail would be good in my tank

I have a 130 gallon low tech planted tank that is home to angelfish. I want to find something for the bottom of the tank. I don't think Cory cat fish will work due to the gravel. So I was looking into shrimp an snails for a cleaning crew. Was told the angels will make a meal out of the shrimp. So now I'm trying to figure out which snails to get. I do not want ones that will eat healthy plants. Any ideas ?

Sent from my SM-J120W using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 01:47 AM
Algae Grower

Nerites are good algae eaters, but need high mineral levels (gh). Malaysian Trumpet Snails are burrowers and clean up waste in and on the gravel, but they can ridiculously overpopulate.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 01:48 AM
Planted Member

I have Ramshorn snails in my tank, they are pretty good as a cleaning crew and don't seem to nibble on my plants. they reproduce like rabbits though so if you get one or 2, expect to have a bunch in the next week or so. my snails usually just go after food leftovers and algae in my tank, I find them entertaining to watch as they go all around the tank. I've heard MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails) are great cleaning crew for people with sand as substrate, since they burrow in the sand and move about cleaning the substrate, could probably work with gravel substrates too. Though with MTS it's the same story, if you have 1, expect a lot in a short period of time. A lot of people consider these types of snails to be pests because of how many you get in a short time period. Mystery snails might be worth looking into, though I don't know much about their reproduction rates or whether or not they'll be a threat to plants. (I doubt the Mystery snails would be a threat to plants). Hope that helps a bit!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 02:14 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Cory and gravel mix fine. Cory and dirty gravel don't mix.

You can have a large school of cories and they are a blast to watch.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 03:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Nerites are good algae eaters, but need high mineral levels (gh).
My experience has been that neuritis do very well in soft water. The eggs need brackish water to hatch and for the young snails to grow. However once they are adults they move into fresh soft water streams.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
I would think cory's would be fine with gravel. For snails; MTS, ramshorn, nerite, and mystery would all work assuming your water has enough minerals for proper shell growth.

"Not my circus, not my monkeys"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 03:23 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
My experience has been that neuritis do very well in soft water. The eggs need brackish water to hatch and for the young snails to grow. However once they are adults they move into fresh soft water streams.
They often have shell deterioration without enough minerals in the water. For reference: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...7&share_type=t

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 04:49 AM
Algae Grower

I hate snails. But nerite should do well in most cases. Supplement calcium here and there

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode