Redecorating Nano Shrimp Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 70
Redecorating Nano Shrimp Tank

Hi,

As the title suggests, I have a 10g nano tank that I wish to re-aquascape. There are about 30 adult shrimps and 40+ shrimplets in the tank. I am worried that inserting stone\wood will change the water parameters and kill the shrimps.

How would you suggest doing that?
eltila is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 04:14 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
mgeorges's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Shawnee, KS
Posts: 1,412
What type of shrimp are they?
Wood will release tannins which will slowly soften the water and lower pH. Not generally a serious concern, just boil any wood you'd like to add for many hours, changing the water frequently. This will help reduce tannins, but I don't think you can ever totally eliminate them.
Stone can be an issue if you are collecting it yourself and don't know what is in it. Many types of stone will leach different things, but it's a slow leach in the more neutral pH range. If you use CO2 or have more acidic water, the leaching process is sped up. Buy stones from a reputable vendor to be on the safe side.
mgeorges is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 04:17 PM
Algae Grower
 
powderwt's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 62
I'm still learning myself, BUT, I believe I think best bet is to presoak your driftwood and maybe even the rocks before placing them in your tank. This helps to Waterlog your driftwood anywho as well as get the tannens out that would make your water brown. After letting them soak for a few days or so, or after it stops changing the water color maybe, test the water paramters of the water you soaked it in and see how it was affected. THIS in my opinion would tell you how your water will change when you add these things, far better than anyone on here could predict.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Flugal Edge 6 gal.

Complete Newbie, go easy on me.
powderwt is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
What type of shrimp are they?
Wood will release tannins which will slowly soften the water and lower pH. Not generally a serious concern, just boil any wood you'd like to add for many hours, changing the water frequently. This will help reduce tannins, but I don't think you can ever totally eliminate them.
Stone can be an issue if you are collecting it yourself and don't know what is in it. Many types of stone will leach different things, but it's a slow leach in the more neutral pH range. If you use CO2 or have more acidic water, the leaching process is sped up. Buy stones from a reputable vendor to be on the safe side.

Rily Shrimps. The stones are ones I brought from China as it is pretty hard to find good ones where I live. I can boil the stone as well and put it in bleach water for some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderwt View Post
I'm still learning myself, BUT, I believe I think best bet is to presoak your driftwood and maybe even the rocks before placing them in your tank. This helps to Waterlog your driftwood anywho as well as get the tannens out that would make your water brown. After letting them soak for a few days or so, or after it stops changing the water color maybe, test the water paramters of the water you soaked it in and see how it was affected. THIS in my opinion would tell you how your water will change when you add these things, far better than anyone on here could predict.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks. That's a good idea. I will try it
eltila is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 05:18 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
mgeorges's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Shawnee, KS
Posts: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltila View Post
Rily Shrimps. The stones are ones I brought from China as it is pretty hard to find good ones where I live. I can boil the stone as well and put it in bleach water for some time.
No need to bleach them for an extended period of time. Soak them for a bit in really hot water, scrub them really well, then test with muriatic acid(aka hydrochloric acid). If the stones bubble, they're going to leach. If you purchased Seiryu stone, they will leach calcium carbonate I believe, which will raise pH, KH and GH. Calcium raises GH, carbonate raises KH, and when these go up, pH goes up. Seiryu stone is still considered pretty safe. You could give the stones a long muriatic acid bath, this will help knock off a lot of the superficial stuff that will leach.

Boiling water will cause the wood to sink faster and release tannins faster than simply soaking in warm/hot water. If the wood fits in a pot, go that route. If it's too large, then go ahead and soak for several days.
mgeorges is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
No need to bleach them for an extended period of time. Soak them for a bit in really hot water, scrub them really well, then test with muriatic acid(aka hydrochloric acid). If the stones bubble, they're going to leach. If you purchased Seiryu stone, they will leach calcium carbonate I believe, which will raise pH, KH and GH. Calcium raises GH, carbonate raises KH, and when these go up, pH goes up. Seiryu stone is still considered pretty safe. You could give the stones a long muriatic acid bath, this will help knock off a lot of the superficial stuff that will leach.

Boiling water will cause the wood to sink faster and release tannins faster than simply soaking in warm/hot water. If the wood fits in a pot, go that route. If it's too large, then go ahead and soak for several days.
Thank you
eltila is offline  
Reply

Tags
aquascape, shrimps

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome