Mixing shrimp breeds? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mixing shrimp breeds?

This is probably a stupid question, but is it ok to have more than 1 species of shrimp in a tank? I currently have Cherry Red Shrimp in my tank and have been looking at getting some Bloody Mary Shrimp for the tank. Different species will interbreed won't they? So would having 2 species in a tank really only matter if I'm wanting to sell shrimp in the long run or would these 2 particular species be incompatible ie. Requiring different water parameters or something?

Life without an aquarium is just flat out boring, Unfortunately like most in the hobby I'm highly susceptible to Multiple-Tank-itis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 10:31 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reks View Post
This is probably a stupid question, but is it ok to have more than 1 species of shrimp in a tank? I currently have Cherry Red Shrimp in my tank and have been looking at getting some Bloody Mary Shrimp for the tank. Different species will interbreed won't they? So would having 2 species in a tank really only matter if I'm wanting to sell shrimp in the long run or would these 2 particular species be incompatible ie. Requiring different water parameters or something?
Those are not two different species. Just two variants of the same species.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 10:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Edit* VRaverna beat me to the punch. lol

Some species will interbreed, yes. However, the shrimp you are asking about aren't different species, they are both Neocaridina Davidi. The only difference in them is they were selectively bred for color. You could get a mix of coloration depending on what traits they carry from past few generations. They will most likely be red for the most part.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Madcrafted, Vraverna: thanks for the clarification! I'm still learning a lot about shrimp obviously. So they're the same species, the bloody mary being selectively bred for color if the red color ended up being less in red (to what cherry red shrimp are usually colored) would they end being classified as cherry red shrimp? (Does that question even make sense?) Thanks for the help!

Life without an aquarium is just flat out boring, Unfortunately like most in the hobby I'm highly susceptible to Multiple-Tank-itis.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 11:44 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reks View Post
Madcrafted, Vraverna: thanks for the clarification! I'm still learning a lot about shrimp obviously. So they're the same species, the bloody mary being selectively bred for color if the red color ended up being less in red (to what cherry red shrimp are usually colored) would they end being classified as cherry red shrimp? (Does that question even make sense?) Thanks for the help!
While bloody mary and red cherry shrimps are both red, they're from two different lines.

My understanding is that breeder selective breed wild neocaridina davidi to get red cherry shrimp and from red cherry shrimps they are continue to selective breed to other variant like red rili shrimp or redder shrimps like red sakura shrimp which is just a higher grade red cherry.

Bloody Mary is not from selective breeding red cherry shrimp but from a separate selective breeding from wild neocaridina davidi.

The genes that make rcs red might not the same as what make bloody mary red. So crossing them will probably have variety of result and maybe result with higher percentage of wild color.

Bump: Old chart that show the relation between the various variant of neocaridina. There are two separate species but most are neocaridina davidi. I don't know if the chart is accurate or not but a good place to start to understand neocaridina shrimps that we can buy.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	neo_family_tree_1024x1024.jpg
Views:	3054
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	851786  

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Both bloody mary and cherry are red so you ll get some very dark red like bloody mary or normal dark like cherry but if you mix any other color like blue velvet or neon yellow then you will get some colourless shrimps as well so keep that in mind. Cherry shrimps or blue velvet or yellow or orange are all neocaridinas and they will definitely breed with each other. Crystal reds or blacks or Taiwan bees are caridinas and they won't interbreed with neocaridinas.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

RCS = Red Cherry Shrimp
CRS = Crystal Red Shrimp

Bloody Mary x Any Grade Red Cherry = Red Shrimp

Other crosses of Neocaridina could result in wild type offspring - but breeding two different lines of red shrimp just results in more red shrimp. One has a red shell, the other has red flesh. Bloody mary are best seen and expressed by themselves to truly appreciate and many pictures do not do them justice.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the info everyone! I think I have a much better understanding now! 😃

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 05:05 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRaverna View Post
While bloody mary and red cherry shrimps are both red, they're from two different lines.

My understanding is that breeder selective breed wild neocaridina davidi to get red cherry shrimp and from red cherry shrimps they are continue to selective breed to other variant like red rili shrimp or redder shrimps like red sakura shrimp which is just a higher grade red cherry.

Bloody Mary is not from selective breeding red cherry shrimp but from a separate selective breeding from wild neocaridina davidi.

The genes that make rcs red might not the same as what make bloody mary red. So crossing them will probably have variety of result and maybe result with higher percentage of wild color.

Bump: Old chart that show the relation between the various variant of neocaridina. There are two separate species but most are neocaridina davidi. I don't know if the chart is accurate or not but a good place to start to understand neocaridina shrimps that we can buy.

What do you think would happen if a cherry/bloody mary were kept with a red rili? Or black rose with black rili? Blue velvet with red/blue rili?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneglitchx View Post
What do you think would happen if a cherry/bloody mary were kept with a red rili? Or black rose with black rili? Blue velvet with red/blue rili?
Cherry/BM x RR = more red shrimp, give or take... possibly with rili patterns

Black rose x Black rili = probably black shrimp/rili mix?

Blue velvet x RR = either wild type or red/blue rili (depending on where the blue velvet originated from)

Blue velvet x Blue Rili = either wild type or more blue/black shrimp (again, depending on where blue velvet originated from)

There's the blue velvet that may be also called blue jelly from the red line - or there's the blue velvet from the blue line
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 04:13 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post

Blue velvet x RR = either wild type or red/blue rili (depending on where the blue velvet originated from)

Blue velvet x Blue Rili = either wild type or more blue/black shrimp (again, depending on where blue velvet originated from)

There's the blue velvet that may be also called blue jelly from the red line - or there's the blue velvet from the blue line
sorry for hijacking the thread , but what if Blue rili/jelly (from RCS line) mix with normal RCS ?, will it spawn wild variety ?, since my RCS and rilis are randomly spawning blue jelly, should i cull them ?

sea....the next frontier
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 04:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You can cull whatever shrimp you don't like from the population, Ghen. The Blue bodied red rili x RCS should be whatever mix of the two comes out - so not likely to get many, if any, wild types.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 05:24 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
You can cull whatever shrimp you don't like from the population, Ghen. The Blue bodied red rili x RCS should be whatever mix of the two comes out - so not likely to get many, if any, wild types.
so i take it the wild variety only appear when its from different branch ?, for example RCS x Bloody Mary ?

sea....the next frontier
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 07:51 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks. I was following the chart above, and assumed that patterns and colors would tend to run more true if the shrimp lines are more closely related.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghen View Post
so i take it the wild variety only appear when its from different branch ?, for example RCS x Bloody Mary ?
Well, no... RCS x BM = red shrimp

Wild type is often (not always) from mixing RCS x Yellow, or RCS x Black Diamond, etc. So yes, mixing from different "branches" can result in wild type, but again, it depends on what you are mixing.

Quote:
Thanks. I was following the chart above, and assumed that patterns and colors would tend to run more true if the shrimp lines are more closely related.
I can't say I've come across people who have done all those crosses, but those are my own guesses, if I don't already know myself. I know for a fact that Red shrimp x Red shrimp = more red shrimp - regardless of type of red used. I can't say I've seen anyone do BM x RR, but I'm sure it's more red shrimp based on other crosses.

The "arrows" going down to the next color indicate *either* selective breeding *or* a morph - such as yellow shrimp throwing green shrimp, or blue dreams selectively bred from blue diamonds.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode