2Likes
  • 2 Post By Quagulator
  • 2 Post By nel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Carbon Rili are not true breeding???

First I apologize for the poor picture quality. It's user error as this phone produces very good pictures for others, but I needed to provide a basis for my specific inquiry.
Several months... nearly a year ago I purchased 24 Carbon Rili shrimp. All were perfect examples and all were healthy. Within 2 weeks all but 1 or 2 died.. or so I thought. Since then the tank had been used for breeding Gertrude Rainbows and attempts at breeding Neons and glowlights. Once I removed the glowlights after it appeared that they laid eggs I left the lights out for 5 days. When I turned them back on what I thought were fry were several Neo shrimp. Most are perfect carbon rili's.

Then I have a couple young red Rili shrimp

Then I have this guy that is a solid light blue/aquamarine...

Should I move these guys now? Or does it matter? Now that I have a colony going I would like to get colonies going in my other tanks, however that will require a substantial population to compensate for losses.
If I choose to sell these is it common knowledge that they do not breed true or are mine simply not selectively bred adequately?

Bump:
Better pic of older carbon rili

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 03:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I had blue velvet and maybe 1 for every 150 offspring was a rhili (blue and red). I never took it out, figured it was kind of cool that the rhili genes are still present. Pretty sure it's normal.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 05:46 PM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Completely normal, it's best to cull them, if you want your colony to stay "clean". By cull I don't necessary mean kill, you can move them to "ugly shrimps tank" or give them away.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

- 120x48x60 cm

- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode