Snail Injury - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Smooshface's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 171
Snail Injury

So this is my Nerite, Zero. He's lived in this tank with a betta and cherry shrimp for about 6 months. Parameters are all good, there's cuttlebone in there for him and the shrimp, it's heavily planted, 78 degrees, with algae for him to eat as well as Hikari bottom feeder pellets and algae wafers that go in.

As of today, he has what looks to me like an injury. Is this my betta fish finally getting to him or is it something else? Do you think he'll be okay, is there anything I can do to help him?

Smooshface is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 06:10 PM
Algae Grower
 
JWaterlily's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: South Texas
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooshface View Post
So this is my Nerite, Zero. He's lived in this tank with a betta and cherry shrimp for about 6 months. Parameters are all good, there's cuttlebone in there for him and the shrimp, it's heavily planted, 78 degrees, with algae for him to eat as well as Hikari bottom feeder pellets and algae wafers that go in.

As of today, he has what looks to me like an injury. Is this my betta fish finally getting to him or is it something else? Do you think he'll be okay, is there anything I can do to help him?

Has he had this for awhile? It almost looks like his foot is eroding. Have you added any chemicals to the tank lately?
If not I would either watch the betta the next few days or separate the snail entirely.
JWaterlily is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Smooshface's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWaterlily View Post
Has he had this for awhile? It almost looks like his foot is eroding. Have you added any chemicals to the tank lately?
If not I would either watch the betta the next few days or separate the snail entirely.
He didn't even have it the day before. It's brand new. Any idea what could have caused it? Worth noting, today, it looks a bit better today.
Smooshface is offline  
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 10:24 PM
Algae Grower
 
JWaterlily's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: South Texas
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooshface View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWaterlily View Post
Has he had this for awhile? It almost looks like his foot is eroding. Have you added any chemicals to the tank lately?
If not I would either watch the betta the next few days or separate the snail entirely.
He didn't even have it the day before. It's brand new. Any idea what could have caused it? Worth noting, today, it looks a bit better today.
Hmmm he might have been attacked by the betta or maybe his foot got caught in the filter outtake if you have that type of filter. There's several possibilities as to what it could be but since it was a sudden thing and he seems fine then it might've just been an accident.
JWaterlily is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Smooshface's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWaterlily View Post
Hmmm he might have been attacked by the betta or maybe his foot got caught in the filter outtake if you have that type of filter. There's several possibilities as to what it could be but since it was a sudden thing and he seems fine then it might've just been an accident.
He's not been as mobile, but he could definitely have been attacked. I just have a sponge filter, so probably not caught in that, but there si driftwood and dragon stone in the tank that he maybe could have gotten it caught on or something. I really don't know a lot about snails, so that's why I came here.

Thanks for the info.
Smooshface is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome