Snail Injury - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Snail Injury

So this is my Nerite, Zero. He's lived in this tank with a betta and cherry shrimp for about 6 months. Parameters are all good, there's cuttlebone in there for him and the shrimp, it's heavily planted, 78 degrees, with algae for him to eat as well as Hikari bottom feeder pellets and algae wafers that go in.

As of today, he has what looks to me like an injury. Is this my betta fish finally getting to him or is it something else? Do you think he'll be okay, is there anything I can do to help him?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 06:10 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooshface View Post
So this is my Nerite, Zero. He's lived in this tank with a betta and cherry shrimp for about 6 months. Parameters are all good, there's cuttlebone in there for him and the shrimp, it's heavily planted, 78 degrees, with algae for him to eat as well as Hikari bottom feeder pellets and algae wafers that go in.

As of today, he has what looks to me like an injury. Is this my betta fish finally getting to him or is it something else? Do you think he'll be okay, is there anything I can do to help him?

Has he had this for awhile? It almost looks like his foot is eroding. Have you added any chemicals to the tank lately?
If not I would either watch the betta the next few days or separate the snail entirely.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWaterlily View Post
Has he had this for awhile? It almost looks like his foot is eroding. Have you added any chemicals to the tank lately?
If not I would either watch the betta the next few days or separate the snail entirely.
He didn't even have it the day before. It's brand new. Any idea what could have caused it? Worth noting, today, it looks a bit better today.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 10:24 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooshface View Post
Quote:
He didn't even have it the day before. It's brand new. Any idea what could have caused it? Worth noting, today, it looks a bit better today.
Hmmm he might have been attacked by the betta or maybe his foot got caught in the filter outtake if you have that type of filter. There's several possibilities as to what it could be but since it was a sudden thing and he seems fine then it might've just been an accident.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Hmmm he might have been attacked by the betta or maybe his foot got caught in the filter outtake if you have that type of filter. There's several possibilities as to what it could be but since it was a sudden thing and he seems fine then it might've just been an accident.
He's not been as mobile, but he could definitely have been attacked. I just have a sponge filter, so probably not caught in that, but there si driftwood and dragon stone in the tank that he maybe could have gotten it caught on or something. I really don't know a lot about snails, so that's why I came here.

Thanks for the info.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode