A couple questions regarding worms and crayfish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
A couple questions regarding worms and crayfish

So first off, I have a planted tank with about 13 cherry red shrimp and I've been considering getting a couple of Mexican dwarf orange crayfish cpo for my tank, my main concern is, will these type of crayfish be compatible with my CRS or will my CRS be in danger? I have a bunch of different mosses in the tank for the shrimp to hide in, will any shrimp offspring be able to grow in a tank with 2-3 of these crayfish?

My next question/concern is I bought some plants from a local (she gave me some free floaters) and I think some worms hitch hiked on the plants into my tank, at first it seemed like I just had a few bloodworms (I've found some of the Midge pupa floating around the top) and I've seen a few bloodworms here and there. I'm not so much worried about the bloodworms since they'll be a free meal for my CRS, But I noticed some long, white worms in the water after I separated some of the floaters in a container to sell some off, they cling to the roots of the floaters sometimes, they're a bit long, and they seem to move in an S pattern. Because they move like that I think they may be some kind of nematode, but I've never seen any that have been the length that they are. I've raised banana worms, micros worms and vinegar eels before so I'd be less concerned if the worms were that length. I'd say the biggest one I've seen is maybe about the length of the tip of my nail to the first segement/line of the underside of my finger. Does anyone have any insight into what they might be and if I really need to be concerned? I can't seem to get a proper picture of them. If they're just harmless nematodes that will eventually be eaten then I'm fine with them hanging out in my tank, but if they're potentially harmful to me or my CRS/plants I'd like to get to the bottom of what they might be and get rid of them. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Life without an aquarium is just flat out boring, Unfortunately like most in the hobby I'm highly susceptible to Multiple-Tank-itis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
CRS = Crystal Red Shrimp - Red and white shrimp

RCS = Red Cherry Shrimp - Red Shrimp

Hit or miss how well the CPO's and shrimp will get along. Wouldn't recommend it, especially if you do not have a thriving colony of shrimp. That is, 50+ shrimp and growing.

The worms do sound like nematodes... harmless and wiggle around in the water column with no clear direction. Detritus worms tend to swim more like a snake - head in a pointed direction and clearly going somewhere!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode