Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help regarding shrimps

I have a 10 gallon planted tank and the parameters also are fine at

Ph 7.5
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm
And nitrates at 10 ppm
Kh is at 4 drops - increased it with bicarbonate as water was too soft.
I have ordered tds meter.

Since last week 3 shrimps have died i cant tell why? They are molting as i keep finding there skins lying around but arent having eggs i see they have saddle but then nothing i bought 4 shrimps that were already berried and put them in the tank but i believe they dropped the eggs i only see 1 shrimplet around that too is there cause on of the shrimp hatched two babies on the way from the shop to home. If anyone can help me why they might not be making eggs??
I do have 5 guppies in there but the shrimps dont seem to bothered by them and move freely and there is big patch of plants in the front to provide cover. I have attached pic of the tank aswell. I feed them blanched zuchini and algae wafers.

I took a photo of the shrimp that died last night could someone help to why it might have died ??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180427_144338_1524876336669.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	850305  

Name:	20180427_144304_1524876366973.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	850313  

Name:	20180427_152717_1524876388295.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	850321  

Name:	20180427_144426_1524876413601.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	850329  

Name:	20180427_144254_1524876437085.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	850337  

Name:	20180427_152706_1524876460614.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	850345  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 07:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Guppies can hunt and eat the baby shrimp - so hopefully, the plants are providing enough cover for the babies.

What is your GH? And temp?

KH doesn't have anything to do with how hard or soft your water is, only helps to control pH - which does not tell you how hard or soft your water is.

If this tank has Fluval Substrate in it (or similar - I'm not familiar with the "Premium Aquarium Soil" you shared pictures of), and you are adding KH, that could be a part of the problem... that is, if the substrate is still active. Fluval substrate is a buffering substrate meant to lower the pH of the water by means of absorbing KH from the water column and adding in humic or tannic acids. Each time you add more KH to the tank, you are causing unstable water parameters.

If you are doing water changes more than once a week that could potentially be another issue - many shrimp keepers do water changes once a week or less frequently.

If the "algae pellets" are actually animal protein based instead of, well, *algae* based (most "algae" pellets are really just algae infused, not algae based), that's another potential issue.

How are your living shrimp acting? Any pictures of them?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Guppies can hunt and eat the baby shrimp - so hopefully, the plants are providing enough cover for the babies.

What is your GH? And temp?

KH doesn't have anything to do with how hard or soft your water is, only helps to control pH - which does not tell you how hard or soft your water is.

If this tank has Fluval Substrate in it (or similar - I'm not familiar with the "Premium Aquarium Soil" you shared pictures of), and you are adding KH, that could be a part of the problem... that is, if the substrate is still active. Fluval substrate is a buffering substrate meant to lower the pH of the water by means of absorbing KH from the water column and adding in humic or tannic acids. Each time you add more KH to the tank, you are causing unstable water parameters.

If you are doing water changes more than once a week that could potentially be another issue - many shrimp keepers do water changes once a week or less frequently.

If the "algae pellets" are actually animal protein based instead of, well, *algae* based (most "algae" pellets are really just algae infused, not algae based), that's another potential issue.

How are your living shrimp acting? Any pictures of them?

I have added pictures of the shrimps they are usually all over the place eating they arent afraid of the guppies and i do believe the plants are thick enough for providing cover to shrimplets if any but i havent seen any berried shrimps there are 10 shrimps remaining ill add 8 shrimps more to it.

Yes i know kh is for buffering capacity the ph is stable at 7.. the water in taps here is made by RO process using sea water the kh was also less then a drop. I added bicarbonate due to adding co2 in the tank i didnt want the co2 to fall too much.. i check weekly and so far it is at 7.
And i dont do water changes every week i do it every 10 days now as water is stable. Havent tested the gh levels yet. Temperature is 78.

Have started using bottled water now and have attached the parameter of that water below aswell.
I have attached pic of the algae tablets i provide.. they are in chineese as i couldnt find any here so i ordered online but shrimps and fish go crazy for it.
The description said 100g Spirulina Catfish Tropical Veggie Algae Wafers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180428_135529_1524912985752.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	850561  

Name:	20180428_125258_1524913011853.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	850569  

Name:	20180428_125234_1524913061048.jpg
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	850577  

Name:	20180428_125309_1524913108674.jpg
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	850585  

Name:	20180411_150332_1524913178919.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	850593  

Name:	20180411_145434_1524913213525.jpg
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	850601  

Name:	20180411_145354_1524913243622.jpg
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	850609  

Name:	20180331_234227_1524913953381.jpg
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	850617  

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 02:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

GH levels are most likely low if you KH is that low out of the tap. GH levels have everything to with the shrimp molting process. Neos, like other shrimp species need plenty of calcium in the water as well as in their diet.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Didn't really see anything jump out before, but CO2 could definitely be a possibility.

The algae tablets are pretty huge as well. Found the ingredients listing for them.

Quote:
Ingredients

Wheat Flour, Fish Meal, Wheat Germ, Alfalfa Meal, Soy Meal, Mixture of Plants and Vegetables Including: Seaweed, Spirulina,
Celery, Carrots, Squash, Spinach and Broccoli, Dried Spirulina, Plankton, Shrimp & Krill Meal Mix. Vitamin/Mineral supplements &
Stabilized Vitamin "C", No Preservatives, Some Coloring

In the tank that I have a small quantity of shrimp, they don't even get what is equaled to half a tablet a week. I feed food that is mostly in a "stick" form and break off pieces to feed my small colony. The size you see in the picture is what they would get up to 3x a week.

Name:	KIMG3724.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	850625

The temperature is also kind of high. Unless it gets really cold, you could probably remove the heater from the tank. They do fine around 68-74 F.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcrafted View Post
GH levels are most likely low if you KH is that low out of the tap. GH levels have everything to with the shrimp molting process. Neos, like other shrimp species need plenty of calcium in the water as well as in their diet.
Yeah i thought the same that is why shifted to bottled water instead of tap. And was thinking of adding calcium in aquarium but need to research how to do it. The shrimps are molting from this water. I am waiting for tdd meter to check hardness couldnt find gh test here will order some..

Quote:
Didn't really see anything jump out before, but CO2 could definitely be a possibility.

The algae tablets are pretty huge as well. Found the ingredients listing for them.

Quote:
Ingredients

Wheat Flour, Fish Meal, Wheat Germ, Alfalfa Meal, Soy Meal, Mixture of Plants and Vegetables Including: Seaweed, Spirulina,
Celery, Carrots, Squash, Spinach and Broccoli, Dried Spirulina, Plankton, Shrimp & Krill Meal Mix. Vitamin/Mineral supplements &
Stabilized Vitamin "C", No Preservatives, Some Coloring

In the tank that I have a small quantity of shrimp, they don't even get what is equaled to half a tablet a week. I feed food that is mostly in a "stick" form and break off pieces to feed my small colony. The size you see in the picture is what they would get up to 3x a week.

Attachment 850625

The temperature is also kind of high. Unless it gets really cold, you could probably remove the heater from the tank. They do fine around 68-74 F.
Yeah the algae tablets are huge i made a mistake of adding a full two tablets the first time as i didnt know how much. But now i just add the amount you have shown 2 times a week and other times i give them blanched zuchini.

I thought temp needs to be near 76 to 80 if u want them to breed. The only thing that would drop the temp here is the airconditioning in the room. Otherwise its pretty hot now..
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 05:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

TDS wont tell you how hard the water is... it only tells you how clean or dirty the water is, in a sense... TDS is Total Dissolved Solids - so it measures minerals, carbonates, bicarbonates, dust, food, waste, decomposing organics, etc.

There is no way to convert TDS to GH, even if you know your KH and other levels.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
TDS wont tell you how hard the water is... it only tells you how clean or dirty the water is, in a sense... TDS is Total Dissolved Solids - so it measures minerals, carbonates, bicarbonates, dust, food, waste, decomposing organics, etc.

There is no way to convert TDS to GH, even if you know your KH and other levels.
Yes i understand gh is the measure of calcium and magnesium. Tds meter was actually as a deal with the ph meter 😛
I am thinking of adding calcium and magnesium myself till i can find a gh test somewhere.
Do you know what should be the parameters of these too elements in a 10 gallon tank ??
And cheap way to add it in a tank?

I saw you can add egg shell for calcium but i dont know if it is good.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 12:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You should try to find some GH booster to supplement your tap water. You LFS should carry some. Most are comprised of calcium, magnesium and potassium sulfates. Some people make their own GH booster and omit the K2SO4. I would find out what your tap water's GH is first before just dosing it.

I just realized that there are actually two types of "bumble bee" shrimp. One is from the genus Caridina cf Breviata and the other is Gnathophyllum americanum. Two very different shrimps with completely different needs. I learn something new everyday. If yours is the former, then yeah, they are typically raised in similar waters as Neo Caridinas.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcrafted View Post
You should try to find some GH booster to supplement your tap water. You LFS should carry some. Most are comprised of calcium, magnesium and potassium sulfates. Some people make their own GH booster and omit the K2SO4. I would find out what your tap water's GH is first before just dosing it.

I just realized that there are actually two types of "bumble bee" shrimp. One is from the genus Caridina cf Breviata and the other is Gnathophyllum americanum. Two very different shrimps with completely different needs. I learn something new everyday. <a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/smilie/icon_smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smile" >:-)</a> If yours is the former, then yeah, they are typically raised in similar waters as Neo Caridinas.
I have snowball shrimps, red cherry shrimps and orange colored shrimps i am guess they are pumpkin shrimps or a variety of cherry shrimp not sure.
I found 4 little shrimplets today roaming around.. that made me happy that the berried shrimps that i had bought didnt actually drop the eggs.

I wished the shops had anything here. There are only 2 shops in the whole city that do have some of the things i need. Gh was finished in both of them and no booster aswell.. actually one did have gh test but that expired last month in march.
Zoidburg and Zoidburg like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode