1Likes
  • 2 Post By Dogstar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY RCS Food - Reptile calcium?

Hello,

I've been thinking about making some shrimp food. I am planning on using spinach/other veggies and bee pollen and was thinking of throwing in some of the pure calcium carbonate (ReptiCal) that I use to supplement my Leopard Gecko. To be clear this is the kind without any added D3. Anyone know if this is okay to use in shrimp foods?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:59 PM
Algae Grower

I would think that'll just dissolve and raise both KH and GH. Maybe you can try testing it out by adding it to RO water and see if it dissolves or changes parameters. My bottle of ZooMed Repti Calcium says precipitated Calcium Carbonate so I'm pretty sure it'll just dissolve.

You should also check what other contents it has, and know that you are taking a risk as most of those products will say for reptile use only.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, yeah I think you are right. Spinach should be good enough I imagine along with some mixed veggies without any suppliments. I think I'll start with small batches so I can find something the shrimp like and make bigger batches after that. Is anyone aware of any foods I should avoid added? I think my veggie mix is peas, green bean, carrot, lima bean. And then I will also add spinach and organic bee pollen. If anyone has any insight into things to add or remove that would be great!.

Bump: Oh forgot to mention, if anyone is interested I plan on blending it into a slurry and piping individual servings onto a baking sheet in small balls and freezing them. That way I can take one frozen ball out at a time to feed them.
Luciferene and Luciferene like this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There are a couple recipes floating around the internet that usually involve making a slurry as you say, then use binding agents such as agar agar to make a "dough" that is rolled out and oven dried. I haven't tried any of these homemade recipes myself but I do like to feed them various fresh greens that I have growing on my land. These include stinging nettles, dandelion leaves, mulberry leaves and pear leaves. I just boil them in microwave for about 5 minutes to blanch them. They go nuts over these... especially the nettles, which is a richer source of calcium than spinach. I also supplement them with Bacter AE once a week and Betaglucan every few weeks. I'll sometimes toss a various Dennerle pellet in there once in awhile. The rest of the time they are content eating biofilm and algae. They are all healthy and thriving with great coloration.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode