ID please - SOLVED - Clogmia larva - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By jmontee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
ID please - SOLVED - Clogmia larva

Not sure where else to post this, we need a section for parasites. Anyway, here goes - Found this crawling just like a caterpillar on the wood in my tank. Never seen anything like this. Definitely aquatic too, not a terrestrial that accidentally fell into the water. It couldn't function once removed and placed on a dry surface. When bumped into the water column, it does not wiggle like a mosquito larvae, nor does it wriggle like detritus worms when they're kicked up. It just sort of drifted along.

That's the end of my thumb in the pic, it's laying on a paper towel. The head is closest to my thumb. Threw it in a mason jar of water, see if maybe it is a larval state of a terrestrial.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180416_191039_1523924410607.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	847137  

Last edited by mgeorges; 04-18-2018 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Solved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

It died overnight. I put it in a mason jar of tap water with a drop of Prime, it was coming from VERY different water parameters in the tank.

Anyone have any ideas? Not everyday you find what looks like a caterpillar in your tank!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I saw something similar come out a piece of driftwood when I boiled it. Needless to say, it died. lol

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 03:31 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
Not sure where else to post this, we need a section for parasites. Anyway, here goes - Found this crawling just like a caterpillar on the wood in my tank. Never seen anything like this. Definitely aquatic too, not a terrestrial that accidentally fell into the water. It couldn't function once removed and placed on a dry surface. When bumped into the water column, it does not wiggle like a mosquito larvae, nor does it wriggle like detritus worms when they're kicked up. It just sort of drifted along.

That's the end of my thumb in the pic, it's laying on a paper towel. The head is closest to my thumb. Threw it in a mason jar of water, see if maybe it is a larval state of a terrestrial.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Looks a lot like a midge larva, specifically a chironomid but can't be sure. That's a fly fisherman's guess at least!
mgeorges and mgeorges like this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:13 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I think it's an Acentropinae caterpillar. I don't know what variety, but they live in wetland and the caterpillar live in water eating plants under water.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcrafted View Post
I saw something similar come out a piece of driftwood when I boiled it. Needless to say, it died. lol
Hahaha, poor little guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontee View Post
Looks a lot like a midge larva, specifically a chironomid but can't be sure. That's a fly fisherman's guess at least!
You're very close! I've been noticing Clogmia flies(drain flies) in the house lately and last night, I started Googl'ing them. When I saw a pic of the larva, I knew I had my culprit! Mystery solved! Glad to know it's not something dangerous to my fish or shrimp.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode