Shrimp Care Question - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile Shrimp Care Question

I have spent a great deal of time with researching the care of shrimp. I had some odd parameters from what I can tell. I want to make sure before I start spending money what route should I go. First I am not looking to get anything fancy or expensive. I want to start with the neocaridina line and breed from there. Later down the road try a Caridina line. My water is

Out of the tap
KH 7
GH 11
PH 7.6

My current tank setup with ADA soil and plants
KH 2
GH 11
PH 6.8

Idealy I do not want to keep ADA soil in every tank and would like to mix it up with ECO complete as well (son wants to get into shrimp). I am afraid though my PH and GH would be to high and I would always have to buffer? Any advise is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingdood View Post
I have spent a great deal of time with researching the care of shrimp. I had some odd parameters from what I can tell. I want to make sure before I start spending money what route should I go. First I am not looking to get anything fancy or expensive. I want to start with the neocaridina line and breed from there. Later down the road try a Caridina line. My water is

Out of the tap
KH 7
GH 11
PH 7.6

My current tank setup with ADA soil and plants
KH 2
GH 11
PH 6.8

Idealy I do not want to keep ADA soil in every tank and would like to mix it up with ECO complete as well (son wants to get into shrimp). I am afraid though my PH and GH would be to high and I would always have to buffer? Any advise is greatly appreciated!
Your plain tap water is perfect for neocaridina (assuming the gH is of decent Ca:Mg ratio) so non-buffering substrate is fine for them.

Caridina will likely need ADA to keep pH and kH low plus RO to get gH in check for them.
ILikeRice and ILikeRice like this.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Awesome thank you sir. I have read/youtube so many different water parameters that Neos take I was not sure.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 12:52 AM
Algae Grower

Neos are pretty hardy, they should be fine. Buying juveniles does help with adjusting to vastly different water parameters vs. buying adults.

Caridina is a different story. That KH is too high for CRS. Have fun with the neos and go from there!

Underwater gardening!?! Where have you been all my life?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If you want to use ADA, then you should remove the tap water from the tank and replace with RO water and GH.

If you want to keep Neos in that tank, then scrap the ADA and replace with inert soil

Those would be my suggestions. Also - if possible, try to find local breeders of shrimp. *DO NOT* buy imports.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the tips fellas. I do not have the funds to go the R/O route(yet). I have a local guy that sells Shrimp reds/yellows and have purchased from him before he is currently out of stock though : /. If anyone in the DFW areas knows any locals please let me know

The first thing was, I learned to forgive myself. Then I told myself, 'Go ahead, do whatever you want, it's ok by me.'"
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 01:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I get RO water from a grocery store for 33 cents a gallon...

And if you don't want to switch over to using RO water, then you're best best is to switch out the ADA for inert soil. Black diamond media blasting sand, play sand or sometimes pool filter sand can be purchased for $8 or less for a 50lb bag.
madcrafted and madcrafted like this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I was going to use Eco-Complete cause it has such a high CeC and I really enjoy the look of it. I do want to keep plants and was going to use roots tabs in the Eco. I know not a good idea? I know one of the cons of using eco is how light it can be.

The first thing was, I learned to forgive myself. Then I told myself, 'Go ahead, do whatever you want, it's ok by me.'"
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 03:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Well I was going to use Eco-Complete cause it has such a high CeC and I really enjoy the look of it. I do want to keep plants and was going to use roots tabs in the Eco. I know not a good idea? I know one of the cons of using eco is how light it can be.

Eco is not light in my experience, it just has irregular sized granules making it harder to plant in.

It also does not have a high CEC, it basically overpriced crushed lava rock IMO.

I’ve used it with root tabs with no bad experiences, but with large pore space I can see the tabs really leaching out over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
madcrafted and madcrafted like this.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 04:29 PM
Planted Member

What Zoidburg is trying to get at with your ADA is that you are using a substrate that is specifically formulated to buffer your pH into a specific range (mid six ish). Meanwhile, you are putting tap water with a mid-high kH into your tank (carbonates will buffer up, closer to high sevens, maybe eight). Every time you put in tap water, your pH and kH swing around until your substrate wins (for now) and your pH and kH drop. Eventually, it will lose the ability to buffer and your tank will migrate towards your tap parameters. Big changes in parameters are bad for any colony, which is why Zoidburg is suggesting you either go full inert or full RO and stick with either card or neo parameters.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
You don't *need* to use root tabs if you don't mind dosing nutrients to the water column. Very few plant species benefit from root feeding. Most will be just fine taking ferts from the water. As previously mentioned, you should ditch the ADA soil if you aren't keeping CRS or TBs. You don't need a buffering substrate for neos. You are wasting expensive soil by adding tap water to it.
Zoidburg and Zoidburg like this.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My tank with ADA soil is not one that will keep for Shrimp that is my planted bowl. I have plenty left over though for my new tank why I was asking if I should use it or not. Really appreciate all the info fellas.
Zoidburg and Zoidburg like this.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 01:54 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
My tank with ADA soil is not one that will keep for Shrimp that is my planted bowl. I have plenty left over though for my new tank why I was asking if I should use it or not. Really appreciate all the info fellas.
Ah, didn’t catch that in the OP. Guess you have your answer then!

My point about the buffering still holds though, your current ADA tank will eventually get back to tap water parameters (6 months to a year from start depending on your water change routine). Just keep that in mind when choosing fish or plants that might be sensitive to pH/kH.

Best of luck with shrimp, they’re fun little critters but can be very tricky if not set up right.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
why dont you try crs in yur ada tank? prices are almost similar to decent pfr's

20L Blue Dream
Eheim 2213
Matheson 3510
Finnex Planted +
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeRice View Post
why dont you try crs in yur ada tank? prices are almost similar to decent pfr's
Main reason is time/difficult. Since at some point my ADA will run out and I will have to basically break the tank down which I am not to fond of. Going Eco will allow me to still have plants which I go for easy to care plants and still have flexibility I am looking for with Shrimp(different colors) and not have to worry about changing out the substrate. If I had an ADA tank crash on me for some reason I could not throw the shrimp in another tank since the parameters are so different in my others. In my area DFW CRC has a very large price difference I can get grade AA cherries for $1ea were CRC grade crap lol will cost me $3 or so. I am sure down the road I will try the CRC route.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode