• 2 Post By madcrafted
  • 2 Post By bamaman
  • 2 Post By madcrafted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval Shrimp Stratum

Hey does anyone who has experience with this as well as other buffered soils know how this compares interms of raising shrimp? I have so far only used ADA soil and I was wondering about fluval shrimp stratum. Does it leach ammonia like ADA's does?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

To my knowledge, it does not leech ammonia, however it also doesn't last as long as other soils and may turn to mush.
Quagulator and Quagulator like this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 03:20 AM
Algae Grower

It doesn't leech ammonia like Amazonia but it also doesn't buffer nearly as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 01:40 AM
Algae Grower

I have had the Stratum now for about a little more than a month (between cycling the tank, numerous water changes and a couple of weeks with shrimp) - so I can't speak to how well the buffering of the soil lasts. I use RO/DI water with Salty Shrimp GH+. My pH has been steady at about 6.7 (using calibrated digital pH meter). I also have driftwood, Indian Almond Leaves and Alder Cones in the tank. I do like the looks of the Stratum but it is very light - sometimes a pain to secure plants into the substrate. But the plants seem to be doing well (low tech type plants like anubias, jave ferns, buce and mosses - also some S. repens in the foreground).
bamaman and bamaman like this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 01:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My experiences with have been like @Shrimpalot56. It keeps my pH around 6.7 using r/o and bee shrimp GH+ as well. It is a perfect substrate for tiger shrimp. Although it may be considered taboo, I'm using CO2 (low flow rate running 24/7) to drop the pH to a suitable range for taiwan bees using this substrate. Only time will tell if they start breeding successfully in it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 01:37 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcrafted View Post
My experiences with have been like @Shrimpalot56. It keeps my pH around 6.7 using r/o and bee shrimp GH+ as well. It is a perfect substrate for tiger shrimp. Although it may be considered taboo, I'm using CO2 (low flow rate running 24/7) to drop the pH to a suitable range for taiwan bees using this substrate. Only time will tell if they start breeding successfully in it.
Are you running 1 bubble per second or less???

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 01:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm running between 13-15 bpm (depending on room temperature) but they're in a 2.6 g nano tank ATM. If it doesn't work out so well, I'll move them into my 22g long tank.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 02:07 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I'm running between 13-15 bpm (depending on room temperature) but they're in a 2.6 g nano tank ATM. If it doesn't work out so well, I'll move them into my 22g long tank.
10/4 I'm starting a 15 gallon tank up for bees and was going to run co2 24/7 to keep the ph down. Trial and error I reckon

madcrafted and madcrafted like this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 02:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

One thing to keep in mind is aeration. I used a cheap little HOB on that tank and have to keep the water line pretty low (which sucks in a nano tank) to get good surface agitation. I don't want to fool with airstones or such as this is a natural aquascape and I'm trying to keep it clean. The bees are in there are just to accentuate the "scene". I'm not worried about them breeding but if they start, I'll just move them over. Problem is the 22 g needs a substrate re-placement, as was previously housing neos. Guess those little bees will have to hold off for daddy to get paid. I have big plans for that tank. Buffering substrate and a ton of driftwood isn't in the cards right now, or should I say in my bank account. haha
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 02:47 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
One thing to keep in mind is aeration. I used a cheap little HOB on that tank and have to keep the water line pretty low (which sucks in a nano tank) to get good surface agitation. I don't want to fool with airstones or such as this is a natural aquascape and I'm trying to keep it clean. The bees are in there are just to accentuate the "scene". I'm not worried about them breeding but if they start, I'll just move them over. Problem is the 22 g needs a substrate re-placement, as was previously housing neos. Guess those little bees will have to hold off for daddy to get paid. I have big plans for that tank. Buffering substrate and a ton of driftwood isn't in the cards right now, or should I say in my bank account. haha
Yeah man no doubt about that. That Amazonia soil is absolutely ridiculously expensive. Luckily I'm only using that in a 10 gallon so I didn't break the bank

And yeah I have a double sponge filter with an extendable tie for surface agitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaman View Post
And yeah I have a double sponge filter with an extendable tie for surface agitation

Tube* not tie

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-10-2018 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sponges are always a good choice. My little HOB is using a sponge on the intake but it needs frequent cleaning to keep the flow on point.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode