I got my first amano shrimp last Thursday, did a 1 hour drip acclimation, and let them loose inside the tank. They were very active and seemed happy to me.
The next day, 4 were sitting in the java moss I had put on top of the spray bar for my guppy fry. There shells had gone from translucent to semi-transparent brown, their eyes were yellow, and they were alive.
After spending the weeked away, when I came back and checked, a couple of them have started to get translucent shells again but all of their eyes are still yellow.
Here are my details and pictures as asked for in the stickey.
1. 6 amano shrimp, only ever see 4 at a time now.
2. Have had the shrimp 4-5 days from a seller on aquabid.
3. Neon tetras, black skirted tetras, guppy and 1 dwarf honey gourami
4. 20 gallon
5. Tank has been set up and running (after a teardown) for over 6 months
6. Tank was set up with tap water, but I've switched to re-mineralized RO water about a month ago for small water changes and evaporation. PH and KH have come down, but in all honesty I wasn't writing down my parameters for tank water until I started with RO.
7. Water parameters:
a. Temp: at work atm but when I check it's mid to upper 70s
Nitrate: 40 ppm
Phosphate: not currently checking, will order kit
c. The parameters were logged a couple days before the shrimp were added
8. Substrate is 6 months old, Flourite Black and Flourite Black Sand.
9. Heavily planted, dosing Seachem Excel.
10. No C02.
11. Lights on a timer at 10 hours
12. SunSun 302 @ 264 GPH, water is flowing just fine and have sponge over intake
13. Filter is new (2-3 weeks), and will be doing first check on it tonight. New filter set up with sponge and purigen from old HOB filter. Bio rings and floss (I think that's what it's called) are new.
14. Not using water conditioner atm
15. Haven't feed shrimp as of yet. Have no 'clean up' crew since I donated my chinese algae eater to the LFS, and the plants have been in there for a long time.
16. No changes as they're just gone in
17. Just sitting on the spray bar, but again they haven't even been in the tank 5 days.
18. Shells darkened and eyes went yellow.
19. Only see 4/6 together at any time, and haven't found any bodies. There's a lot of plants, and I added more rocks and java moss for them. Almost a jungle and they'll be getting trimmed tonight, so pretty hard to find bodies right now.
20. see pictures
Some other things that may be of interest after trying to read up
- I have seriyu stone, which I think may be why my GH is high. Stone has been in the tank for about 6 months
- I've been using purigen for the last 6 months
- fish are happy and active
- I don't have a TDS meter