New and first shrimp tank - Shrimp dying? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question New and first shrimp tank - Shrimp dying?

This is my first posting for this forum. Trying to become a $ member but having difficulties doing so.
Need some help/advice regarding my setup and results. I think I have lost most of my first purchase of shrimp (15).

After 25+ plus years from the hobby, I have set up my first planted/shrimp tank. I have done a lot of reading and have the tank set up, cycled, planted and purchased my first batch (15) of shrimp. However, I only see a few of them now. I saw two die today.

Details:
10.8 gallon aquarium. Rimless 15.6 wide, 12.9 deep, 12.9 high. Low tech.
Fluval 106 canister filter. Bio-Foam and Biomax and polishing pad between the two containers. Running at a little more than 50% rate. Sponge on intake.
Finnex 16 inch Fugeray Planged+ light - 6 hours per day
Fluval stratum (recommended by LFS)
Malaysian hardwood, 1 Indian Almond leaf, 5 alder coins (pre-soaked all of them)
Plants: anubias, S. repens, mini xmas moss, flame moss, broad leaf chain sword, java leaves, Crypt parva mini (carefully removed java leaves two days ago to free up background). All growing well.
Use R/O water mineralized with Salty Shrimp Gh+ (and a little GH+/KH+). TDS 180, pH 6.8, GH 6, KH 0
Other water Parameters: No CO2, Temp 74, Ammonia 0 (two test kits), nitrite 0, nitrate 10 (two test kits)
Cycled three weeks - used Dr Tim's One and Only until zero readings for ammonia and nitrite (nitrate in the 30/40 range until WC).
Did 50% water change twice over two day and waited several days before introducing shrimp.

Wanted to start with Cherry shrimp as that is the recommended shrimp for beginners (wish I hadn't gone with Fluval as it buffers to the acidic side).
However, the water chemistry favored Caridinas and I went with regular Tiger shrimp.
Day 1 - Mon - received 15 Tiger shrimp from well known seller. Did a 2 hour drip acclimation. Shrimp seemed to doing well.
Day 2 - Tue - Saw only 4 or 5 shrimp at any one time. Read that shrimp may hide at first.
Day 3 - Wed - Again, only saw 4 or 5 shrimp. Fed very small amount Bacter AE. Shrimp seemed to respond.
Day 4 - Thu - Only saw several shrimp. Removed Java plants from back ground, added more moss (moss came attached to 4 inch x 2 inch wood).
Day 5 - Fri - saw one on back dead, another one dying (spastic, darting around). Only seen one shrimp feeding since.

It seems like the setup is in the ballpark. Not having good luck with first batch of shrimp.
Any ideas of what I can do or change to make next purchase more successful?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shrimp Tank.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	841777  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The tank *does not* need KH in it.

Do you know if the tank TDS was close to the acclimating water TDS?

If you purchased adult shrimp, they might not be doing quite as well as if you had purchased juvenile shrimp.

Bacter AE is fine as long as it's not overdosed. Do you have other foods for them as well?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for replying.

Eight of the 16 shrimp were about 1/2 inch. The other eight were smaller.

The TDS of the acclimating water was about 200. The tank water was a little more than 180.

I did feed a small amount (4mm pellet) of Shrimp King Complete in a glass dish in the evening and siphoned it out the next morning. Only 1 shrimp fed on it (that I could see during awake hours). The shrimp tended to stay put in the back of the tank.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 05:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If the tank has it's own biofilm, they really wont need to eat all that much. I don't see anything that really jumps out and says that there's a definite issue. Were there any failed molts by any chance?

Hopefully you only have a few losses and the rest survive.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I saw two out swimming around today.
Its a young tank and has some biofilm.
Do the tanks need to 'age' awhile before starting to put shrimp in them?

Maybe others have had similar experiences.

Thanks again!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 08:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

They don't need to age, but it does help to have a mature tank.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 09:05 PM
Planted Member

I had similar issues . I let my last tank age for 2+ months before adding any shrimp . I started with 10 prl's 6 months later I have more than I can count .
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good info. There is still hope. I have been wanting to start a shrimp tank for many years after seeing a tank (Eheim Lifestyle 9 gal) at a LFS. That and all the successful and not so successful stories in this forum.

I have a second tank (16 gal rimless cube) ready to go for some neo shrimip, but I am going to wait until I have success with the first one.

I will still dose Bater AE every other day - very small dose (?). I may or may not do a 10% water change. Still only see two shrimp (out of 16) but more may be hiding.

Thanks all!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 01:56 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpalot56 View Post
Other water Parameters: No CO2, Temp 74, Ammonia 0 (two test kits), nitrite 0, nitrate 10 (two test kits)
I can't remember where but I heard that these shrimp are most comfortable at 76 degrees, but 2 degrees of range is still really good. There isn't any copper or other hard metals that could be affecting the shrimp in your tank, is there?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilanterepoman View Post
I can't remember where but I heard that these shrimp are most comfortable at 76 degrees, but 2 degrees of range is still really good. There isn't any copper or other hard metals that could be affecting the shrimp in your tank, is there?
I read that the Caridinas like cooler temps (vs the neo shrimp). I could go lower or higher. No copper that I know of. Using shrimp food and the aquarium is all glass.
I did see 5 shrimp this morning. Good news!
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 06:47 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpalot56 View Post
I did see 5 shrimp this morning. Good news!
Congrats! Hopefully they stay around this time
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 01:05 PM
Algae Grower

I have a new tank with the same issue. I had four survivors out of seven, then I bought three more to try to even out the males/females...and now I'm down to three total. It is very frustrating, when neither my tests nor the fish store's show anything wrong with my water. I bought a drip acclimator for the second batch.

I did do some careful re-scaping not long after I got the second batch (mainly to simplify and to plant a bit, I had a large jumble of stuff in there) and I wonder if that caused stress despite my care. I also am suspicious of long-shot things like the dragonstone, petco sand I bought and even new manzanita wood (when new it grows a white film, this I think is pretty normal)...basically grasping at straws. I'll leave the tank alone for a while and maybe try a few more after that if I don't have a pair...
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 11:40 PM
Planted Member

That light looks awfully bright. And you need to put snails in your tank! Keep some medicine on hand. I use paraguard but there is probably something better for shrimp. I throw in some paraguard once a week to keep disease down. Tigers are not a good beginner shrimp to my knowledge. You may want to just keep some snails in there for a while until the tank is matured properly. I like mystery snails myself! Good luck!

Edit: Especially for shrimp like tigers (but any dwarf shrimp really), you need at least a 20 gallon tank. Btw, your tank is beautiful, so I hate to say that. I'd maybe put some resilient little nano fish in that tank and get a 20 gallon long for your shrimp tank. And don't forget the snails!

Last edited by KleineVampir; 04-04-2018 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Adding more
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokely View Post
I have a new tank with the same issue. I had four survivors out of seven, then I bought three more to try to even out the males/females...and now I'm down to three total. It is very frustrating, when neither my tests nor the fish store's show anything wrong with my water. I bought a drip acclimator for the second batch.

I did do some careful re-scaping not long after I got the second batch (mainly to simplify and to plant a bit, I had a large jumble of stuff in there) and I wonder if that caused stress despite my care. I also am suspicious of long-shot things like the dragonstone, petco sand I bought and even new manzanita wood (when new it grows a white film, this I think is pretty normal)...basically grasping at straws. I'll leave the tank alone for a while and maybe try a few more after that if I don't have a pair...
Thanks Stokely,
I agree it is frustrating when you think you have all the bases covered and they still die. I had 7 shrimp (couple more than I thought) on Saturday, and did a 10% water change (less than a gallon). I was very careful with the replacement water (temp, pH, TDS)] and dripped the water in over a several hours). The next day, I only had 2 remaining shrimp. I don't think the water change in itself is responsible but I think it added to the stress the shrimp were under. So for now, no changes.

It's good to know that I am not the only one with difficulties - although I don't want anyone to be having these kind of issues. Good luck going forward!
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleineVampir View Post
That light looks awfully bright. And you need to put snails in your tank! Keep some medicine on hand. I use paraguard but there is probably something better for shrimp. I throw in some paraguard once a week to keep disease down. Tigers are not a good beginner shrimp to my knowledge. You may want to just keep some snails in there for a while until the tank is matured properly. I like mystery snails myself! Good luck!

Edit: Especially for shrimp like tigers (but any dwarf shrimp really), you need at least a 20 gallon tank. Btw, your tank is beautiful, so I hate to say that. I'd maybe put some resilient little nano fish in that tank and get a 20 gallon long for your shrimp tank. And don't forget the snails!
KV,
You hit on a couple of points I was thinking about.
1. I think the light might be two bright. I might try to find one that is smaller and less bright
2. I will have to research the paragurard (or similar treatment). I don't want them stressed more by the treatment.
3. I was thinking about putting in one or two mystery snails but didn't on two accounts. One, I only have 1 inch space above the water line ( I have only 12.9 inches to work with - currently I only have 8 or 9 inches water depth). Second, I hear they are good escape artists. I don't have a lid on the tank. I hoping to be setting up a 16.1 inch tank for some neo shrimp (learning my lessons with this tank). I will be needing some advice on putting some mystery snails in the new tank to see if is feasible.

Thanks on the compliment on the tank and for the advice. If the 10 gallon doesn't work out, I may try some neo fish (and snails?). Or replace the substrate and make it into a neo shrimp tank (and snails?).

Tags
deaths, setup, shrimp, tiger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode