Views:	17
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	841569  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 06:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've lost a few when they turn "milky" like that. In my case, the mouth part starts moving at a rapid rate, then they scurry around the tank before flipping upside down and dying. It looks like some form of necrosis either bacterial or stress related. I'd quarantine that one just in case it's infectious.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks. It just died so I fished it out. I am going to bring in some water to my LFS tomorrow to test for copper. The only way that could be getting in there is through my dry fertilizers. I'm going to use less calcium and magnesium and switch to quest coral. I lost about a dozen amanos in the past two weeks.

*crushed coral

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-31-2018 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 08:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Are you using RO or DI water?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No I am using tap water, and adding Prime, calcium chloride and magnesium. My LFS just told me not to use crushed coral in a planted tank so I am pondering that - I would like to achieve some more stable buffering of the water without adding a lot of ingredients that could be messing up the shrimp. The LFS also was uncertain about use of dry ferts with shrimp. Said Flourish might be safer. The interwebs seems all over the place as to whether PPS-Pro macros and micros are safe for shrimp or not. I am under-dosing to be safe and holding off on the CSM-B altogether until I determine that it is safe. SIGH SIGH SIGH this hobby is freaking complicated.

Bump: No I am using tap water, and adding Prime, calcium chloride and magnesium. My LFS just told me not to use crushed coral in a planted tank so I am pondering that - I would like to achieve some more stable buffering of the water without adding a lot of ingredients that could be messing up the shrimp. The LFS also was uncertain about use of dry ferts with shrimp. Said Flourish might be safer. The interwebs seems all over the place as to whether PPS-Pro macros and micros are safe for shrimp or not. I am under-dosing to be safe and holding off on the CSM-B altogether until I determine that it is safe. SIGH SIGH SIGH this hobby is freaking complicated.

Bump: No I am using tap water, and adding Prime, calcium chloride and magnesium. My LFS just told me not to use crushed coral in a planted tank so I am pondering that - I would like to achieve some more stable buffering of the water without adding a lot of ingredients that could be messing up the shrimp. The LFS also was uncertain about use of dry ferts with shrimp. Said Flourish might be safer. The interwebs seems all over the place as to whether PPS-Pro macros and micros are safe for shrimp or not. I am under-dosing to be safe and holding off on the CSM-B altogether until I determine that it is safe. SIGH SIGH SIGH this hobby is freaking complicated.

Bump: whoops. why all the bumps and repeated text? apologies
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Is your tap water really that soft where you feel you need such buffering? I mean, I keep my Amanos in soft water around 2-3 dKH with CO2 injection of 30 ppm, which brings my pH around 6 during peak light hours. Not ideal pH for amanos, but they cope just fine. I have dosed both seachem flourish and CSM+B, which both contains very small and insignificant levels of copper. No problems there.

You could always add some baking soda if you need the buffering, to bring the KH up a few degrees. I have done this as well. I have dosed my tank with high levels of both Excel and H202 without any signs of stress to the amanos. They are very hardy shrimp. GH boosters shouldn't have an effect on them either. Too low of a GH can be bad for molting. I shoot for 7-8 GH in the tank with amanos.

The only thing I can think of is if you recently treated the tank with copper sulfate. That WILL kill inverts quickly. Other than that, ammonia levels would be my next guess, followed by acclimation method.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 04:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
So CaCl and magnesium don't buffer the water, they raise GH. It's the KH that buffers and maintains a stable pH. If you have a GH of at least 5 and your plants aren't demanding the extra Mg and Ca, I wouldn't add it.
I dosed full EI with Amanos, including CSM+B. The miniscule amount of Cu in the CSM+B won't hurt them unless you start WAY overdosing. They'll be fine. PPS-Pro I'm sure they'd like even better - more stable parameters and smaller water changes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode