Can I keep shrimp in 55 Gallon or will they get sucked up the filter? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can I keep shrimp in 55 Gallon or will they get sucked up the filter?

New to the hobby and just don't want to put the little guys in a tough spot. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 02:57 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
You can use filter foam to cover the intake. Depending on how strong the flow is they may even use this as a feeding trough. Bigger question is, do you have fish in the tank and what kind? Larger fish will eat most shrimp. The only ones I have seen put up a fight are amanos when they get to 2 inches!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! Just a few black neons at this point.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 04:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have mix experience with neons. I seen neons picking in gang on shrimp but then I see neons living peacefully with shrimps. It really depends. I usually never recommend fish with shrimp specially because even the adult stays unharmed the babies will be snack for sure. In case you decide to add shrimps then you should keeo Moss and plants to provide shrimps and baby shrimps hiding places when they feel threatened.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good advice. Thanks!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 04:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If fish are already in the tank, then set up a new tank for just shrimp, and use the fishless cycle to get it going - unless you've got a spare filter you can jump start in the fish tank.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 01:06 AM
Algae Grower

in a huge tank they'll probably do fine if they have a ton more hiding spots. Tom Barrs tank has rasboras and some fire shrimp cohabitating and his colony of shrimp is quite large. I'd say keep the fish well fed and the shrimps could be fine. I don't find that neons hunt much but if they are full. you'll need to cover your intake for sure with a sponge or something. but it can be done. but if you're worried about them being eaten i would just not risk it at all
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:02 PM
Algae Grower

I am just getting started with shrimp, but so far the filter hasn't been an issue. I'm using an old aquaclear 30 (not sure what that would be now) but it's a pretty hefty filter for a 20 gal shrimp tank. I turn the flow down, but the main thing is that I put a pre-filter over the intake. I happened to have the foam from another pre-filter but I expect you could make your own easily enough. The shrimp like to sit on it foraging. My only concern is when/if I get babies--the foam is pretty coarse, hopefully they won't get sucked through it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 04:36 PM
Algae Grower

RCS are snacks for most fish I've seen them with. My amanos have been just fine in community tanks. (One tank is gouramis and an SAE, and the other is neons, mollies and one orphaned Glo tetra.)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Everyone's experiences will be different. I had a moderately planted 60 gallon tank with a thriving RCS population. There were also the following livestock: Sterbai corys (5), ottos, harlequin rasboras (9), cardinal tetras (12), forktail blue-eye rainbows (~30), amano shrimp. I'm sure many of the young RCS were tasty snacks but there was also enough moss, plants, etc. to provide ample safe spots.

I just had to break-down my tank for termite tenting and removed everything but the shrimp for now. There were a ton of them in the tank and I know I gave away a lot as well (both on purpose and accidentally).

Tank Journal -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode