Caridinas General Hardness Question - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Zoidburg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Caridinas General Hardness Question

I have Taiwan Bees. Usually recommend Gh for Caridinas is 4-6. I use to keep my GH to 5 always. However this time my GH is 4 with a TDS of 142. Shrimps are having successful moltings so shall I leave the GH as it is now or gradually increase to 5? I am not increasing because 5 Gh will bring tds to 150+ and I like to keep my TDS to maximum 150.

Please advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 06:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Keep them in what they thrive best in.
ILikeRice and ILikeRice like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Keep them in what they thrive best in.
They doing good in both 4 and 5 Gh. I just want to avoid the border line. 4 is start and 6 is maximum so that's why I thought to keep in middle at 5. Anyone of you successful keeping if Taiwan Bees at 4 GH?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Sorry to say, but you are using TDS wrong. If your GH was 5 with a TDS under 150 and now you have to keep GH at 4 to keep TDS under 150, what does that tell you?

You should keep your GH and KH as consistent as possible, and then you know that TDS creep is due to something else.

Do you have wood or leaves in your tank by any chance? When was the last time you vacuumed the substrate? If you are not dosing fertilizers, dissolved organic material is going to be your TDS increase, and that means it is building up faster than you are removing it via water changes.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
Sorry to say, but you are using TDS wrong. If your GH was 5 with a TDS under 150 and now you have to keep GH at 4 to keep TDS under 150, what does that tell you?

You should keep your GH and KH as consistent as possible, and then you know that TDS creep is due to something else.

Do you have wood or leaves in your tank by any chance? When was the last time you vacuumed the substrate? If you are not dosing fertilizers, dissolved organic material is going to be your TDS increase, and that means it is building up faster than you are removing it via water changes.
I understand your point. Some factors specially accidental pouring of too much Bacter Ae powder and also added Seachem Prime while adding new shrimps twice this month. Usually my TDS never creep. I messed up and while putting Bacter Ae I accidentally added to much. I did very little water change to don't give shrimp more shock.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif314 View Post
I understand your point. Some factors specially accidental pouring of too much Bacter Ae powder and also added Seachem Prime while adding new shrimps twice this month. Usually my TDS never creep. I messed up and while putting Bacter Ae I accidentally added to much. I did very little water change to don't give shrimp more shock.
Excellent that you know what caused it! Don't worry about TDS - keep the GH the same and let the TDS go back down over time from water changes. I've kept bees at 240 TDS for several months without issues, but I knew what that extra TDS was from (tannins from wood and leaves).
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:
Excellent that you know what caused it! Don't worry about TDS - keep the GH the same and let the TDS go back down over time from water changes. I've kept bees at 240 TDS for several months without issues, but I knew what that extra TDS was from (tannins from wood and leaves).
Thanks for the reply. So by keeping Gh same you mean leave it to 4 Gh as it is now right?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. So by keeping Gh same you mean leave it to 4 Gh as it is now right?
I mean if they were thriving at 5, I'd go over 150 TDS to leave it at 5. By dropping to 4 just to keep your TDS low, you risk adding stress and possible molting issues in the long term.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:
I mean if they were thriving at 5, I'd go over 150 TDS to leave it at 5. By dropping to 4 just to keep your TDS low, you risk adding stress and possible molting issues in the long term.
Ok thanks
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 08:47 AM
Algae Grower

Just the other day my GH jumped up to 11 in two of my Caridina tanks. When they are normally around 5-7 GH. I checked TDS and both were above 200. I do want to note that I do WC's around once a month. No Shrimp deaths yet. And tons of babies.
However; I feel the culprit to this Problem is the possible overdose of my homemade Shrimp Food. Or all the snail smashing I do, of the Ramshorns.
It is irresistible to stop. Espically when your Shrimp love what your doing. Their Shells are so shiny, you can see them in the dark almost. It is sad that my Pictures can not Show the shine of them.
I must admit though, I have to increase the water changes.
If you are like me, and do not vacum the Substrate. Take your fish net and fan it through the plants and near the Substrate to stir up the gunk. that helps quite a bit.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRon View Post
Just the other day my GH jumped up to 11 in two of my Caridina tanks. When they are normally around 5-7 GH. I checked TDS and both were above 200. I do want to note that I do WC's around once a month. No Shrimp deaths yet. And tons of babies.
However; I feel the culprit to this Problem is the possible overdose of my homemade Shrimp Food. Or all the snail smashing I do, of the Ramshorns.
It is irresistible to stop. Espically when your Shrimp love what your doing. Their Shells are so shiny, you can see them in the dark almost. It is sad that my Pictures can not Show the shine of them.
I must admit though, I have to increase the water changes.
If you are like me, and do not vacum the Substrate. Take your fish net and fan it through the plants and near the Substrate to stir up the gunk. that helps quite a bit.
Thanks. I also don't vacuum my substrate.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 04:49 PM
Planted Member

5-6 HG is absolutely perfect, anything lower than that can cause molting problems, TDS is not only minerals diluted in water, high TDS can be caused by poor filtration, too much debris etc..so proper GH and KH is more important, I wouldnt recommend KH as 0 either due to possible PH swings, KH -1 is the best in my opinion
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 07:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'm thinking Nate is onto something here My TDS creeps up slowly over the weeks but I also noticed a lot of mulm accumulation and I'm now doing light surface vacuums. Every other week about 10% roughly of tank volume just to get the mungies out.

I keep forgetting that TDS can be from organics.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode