Sponge guard to protect baby shrimps? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sponge guard to protect baby shrimps?

I have an hang on back filter. I bought this sponge filter guard so shrimp babies won't be sucked to filter. However I am concerned if filter will work good and be able to filter water through this sponge. Picture in attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20180322-WA0023_1521681826421.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	839457  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 01:36 AM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
I have those on my nano and it definitely slows the filter alot. Has to be cleaned quite often. I'm going to be switching to something like these.

Mesh Guard
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I have two HOB's on a 50 gallon and am using replacement sponges for sponge filters that cling to wall of the tank via suction cup as pre-filters/protectors. So far, so good!

And it's a fish tank...

Two other tanks have HOB's as well, although only one currently has a pre-filter sponge.

The shrimp tanks have air powered sponge filters, one single, one dual, that suction to the side of the tank.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you find the flow slowing substantially, the sponge is too fine for the size of the filter - like the Fluval sponges. Try something coarser like these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
roadmaster and roadmaster like this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 07:15 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to blissskr
I have sponge prefilters on my hang on back filters and I still find baby shrimp in my filters all the time.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 09:13 PM
Algae Grower

The fluval intake sponges work great for this exact purpose. It wont hinder filtration at all, in fact, it'll provide more biological filtration. However, over time, it may get a bit built up but all you need to do is squeeze it out in some old tank water and it'll be fine again. You'll only need to do this when you notice a significant reduction in flow.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissskr View Post
I have sponge prefilters on my hang on back filters and I still find baby shrimp in my filters all the time.
I had 6 young/adult shrimp crawl *UP* the out flower of a HOB... certainly did not get in through the prefilter sponge!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 11:41 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to blissskr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
I had 6 young/adult shrimp crawl *UP* the out flower of a HOB... certainly did not get in through the prefilter sponge!
I've seen adults do that when I used to keep my water level high. But now they have to be getting sucked up as my outflow water level is always 2-3 inches above the tanks water level, so there's no way they could climb in. That being said I think it's largely the filter I use which is Marina Slims. They have the pump housing in the tank versus in the filter area on a normal hang on back. I never find any babies in my one other hang on back filter that is the standard hob design but for some reason the Marina ones always have a bunch of babies in them.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks a lot guys for the detailed replies. One question. These stainless steel pre filter guards. Are they safe. From what I see is that there is chance of a baby shrimp can go through them. No?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 04:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The ones from Han Aquatics are geared towards shrimp tanks, babies should not be able to get through. I don't know how others compare, and have heard some from E-bay may even rust, which is dangerous to shrimp. (again, don't know how Amazon ones compare)
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
The ones from Han Aquatics are geared towards shrimp tanks, babies should not be able to get through. I don't know how others compare, and have heard some from E-bay may even rust, which is dangerous to shrimp. (again, don't know how Amazon ones compare)
Thanks. About rusting its very dangerous yes. I was thinking to switch to stainless steel ones but now hesitant.

I have one question. Can I clean my pre filter sponge by tap water? My tank is only one 5 gallon and taking existing tank water could be difficult because I will then need to reminilize and prepare water to fill the space. Its a hang on back filter so I guess most beneficial bacteria will stay inside filter media. Please advise

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-27-2018 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You would clean the sponge filter with water changes using old tank water when necessary... not recommended to use tap as that could kill the bacteria on the sponge.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 03:24 AM
Algae Grower

I think it is okay to clean with tap water as long as the sponge is not the only filter media that you have.

Even if it is your only filter media, cleaning with tap water will not likely to kill all the bacteria. Maybe if you're concerned with chlorine or chloramine in tap water, you can use prime on the water.

Another option is to add a bit of seachem stability when you clean your filter with tap water.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
You would clean the sponge filter with water changes using old tank water when necessary... not recommended to use tap as that could kill the bacteria on the sponge.
I have main filter media inside hang on back filter. Its just pre filter guard. Problem is that I change tank water once a month or sometimes more depends on my TDS. But pre filter will be clogged like every one to two weeks so that's why I thought to use tap water

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRaverna View Post
I think it is okay to clean with tap water as long as the sponge is not the only filter media that you have.

Even if it is your only filter media, cleaning with tap water will not likely to kill all the bacteria. Maybe if you're concerned with chlorine or chloramine in tap water, you can use prime on the water.

Another option is to add a bit of seachem stability when you clean your filter with tap water.
Is it necessary to use Seachem Stability? I mean its not the only filter media. Its just the pre filter guard. Main filter media is inside hob filter.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 02:25 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif314 View Post
Is it necessary to use Seachem Stability? I mean its not the only filter media. Its just the pre filter guard. Main filter media is inside hob filter.
I don't think you need Seachem Stability but it probably can't hurt to add some whenever you do anything that can reduce the Nitrifying bacteria.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode