• 2 Post By ipkiss
  • 4 Post By jmontee
  • 2 Post By jmontee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
First berried shrimp!

I am really excited as this is my first foray into keeping shrimp (other than amanos) in a tank. I set up a Spec V about 3 months ago and went through the fishless cycle, got hardscape and plants and then let things settle down for a couple of weeks. Now, I had a planted tank many years ago and it was always fish only with amanos for algae control. I then came across the wild type tiger and super tiger shrimp and fell in love. With all of the CRS/CBS, Taiwan bees and othe caridinas and all of the "easy to keep" neos the tigers were really the ones I wanted.

Well, then came along my first born and with his arrival came the departure of the planted tank. Now, about 6 years later I set up the above tank and have added my beloved tigers. Current stock list is 12 Chili Rasboras and 9 original Tigers. All the snails in the pics came as free gifts on plants! I am very excited (probably not that big a deal but it has been a long time coming for me) because I now have my first berried Caridina cantonensis sp Tiger! Here are some pics for your perusal. The first is a whole tank shot as of today, the second is one saddled and the third is one berried.
blissskr, blissskr, ipkiss and 7 others like this.

Last edited by jmontee; 07-01-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 09:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Well congrats! Tank and shrimp look very nice!
jmontee and jmontee like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Great looking tank/layout.

Tank Journal -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
Well congrats! Tank and shrimp look very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea View Post
Great looking tank/layout.

Thank you both , I am having fun with this little tank!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Congratulations and very beautiful tank. I noticed a pinkish light. You using Fluval Prism underwater spotlight?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif314 View Post
Congratulations and very beautiful tank. I noticed a pinkish light. You using Fluval Prism underwater spotlight?
Thank you and no. I actually just got a Finnex Planted+ 24/7 CC which has the true red 660nm led's. I have customized the colors and intensities and I am going to watch for how plants and algae react. I am hoping that the settings are dialed in and I will not get an algal explosion. All the plants were pearling during the noon to 6pm time so I am sure that they are doing well today after I tweaked it a bit.

The fish have definitely reacted well in the last few days to the 24/7 lighting. They move around in the "morning" and "evening" times and tend to stay in a couple of areas under cover during high light. That is a pretty natural behavior from what I know about fish (from being a fisherman over the last almost 30 years).
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 12:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
That's awesome! Fingers crossed! and good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thumbs up There's TWO!!

Holy cow I just saw that I have two berried and I believe a third one coming soon!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontee View Post
Quote:
Thank you and no. I actually just got a Finnex Planted+ 24/7 CC which has the true red 660nm led's. I have customized the colors and intensities and I am going to watch for how plants and algae react. I am hoping that the settings are dialed in and I will not get an algal explosion. All the plants were pearling during the noon to 6pm time so I am sure that they are doing well today after I tweaked it a bit.

The fish have definitely reacted well in the last few days to the 24/7 lighting. They move around in the "morning" and "evening" times and tend to stay in a couple of areas under cover during high light. That is a pretty natural behavior from what I know about fish (from being a fisherman over the last almost 30 years).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontee View Post
Holy cow I just saw that I have two berried and I believe a third one coming soon!! <a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/PlantedTank_net_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png" border="0" alt="" title="Big Grin" >:-)</a>
Congratulations and your tank has lights on all the time? You never turned them off? Not even at night?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Congratulations and your tank has lights on all the time? You never turned them off? Not even at night?
No, the lights start very low at about 6 am and then hit full brightness from 12 to 3pm then slowly go down to night by 7pm then co.etelt off from 11pm to 6am.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So the eggs should be hatching on at keast one female this week. Has anyone notice them hide arouund the time that the eggs are hatching? My males are all over the tank but I have not seen the berries females in a couple of days.

Any thoughts?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

First Baby Tiger!!

So excited to see that I have been able to at least get some babies with these!!
AlGee, AlGee, Zoidburg and 1 others like this.

Last edited by jmontee; 07-01-2019 at 01:51 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update

I am very happy to update that there are at least 12 to 15 babies of different sizes running all around the tank. I am not sure if this has helped or it was just time but I started to see baby activity a lot more often after starting Bacter AE. The shrimp seem much more active and there are more berried tigers again.

I am going to have to start giving these away locally soon as this is only a 5 gallon tank!
swarley and swarley like this.

Last edited by jmontee; 07-01-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode