Medicine for shrimp illnesses? urgent help required please. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Medicine for shrimp illnesses? urgent help required please.

Well for a few days I was happy that I am not having any more shrimp deaths but today woke up to find three dead shrimps. Two red pandas and one black king kong. My Water Parameters are :

Gh 5
Kh 0-1
PH 6.5
Tds 145
Temperature 72-74
Amonia Nill
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
Water: Distilled water reminilized with Sl Aqua blue wizard

I looked closely and no signs of any disease on shrimps. They keep dying. I lost 500 dollars of shrimp. Its a huge loss to wallet and shrimp lives. No one has a clue since water parameters are fine. So now I think maybe some bacterial or viral infection in tank but all medicine like Paraguard etc are not shrimp safe as they say to remove invertebrates prior to using medicine. Can you guys please suggest me some medicine to treat shrimp disease?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Several people have used Paraguard with shrimp without issues... but they've started off at lower doses... i.e. 1/4 or 1/2 dose.

You could also try using indian almond leaves and alder cones - staining the water with tannins. This is supposed to help with bacterial and fungal infections. Banana leaves might be another one? Or maybe it was bamboo?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 12:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sorry to hear you keep losing those shrimp. I know that the caridinas are very sensitive to water conditions. I think Zoidburg gave some good advice about the tannins. Tannic acid will help lower your pH temporarily. The place I started to purchase Black King Kongs recommend keeping pH between 5-6. Not so much for their preference but to deter diseases.

I imagine it's pretty hard to distinguish disease from parasite on these dwarf shrimp. I many cases, it's too late to treat by the time you notice. I've seen them scurry about sideways and their mouth parts move at an excessive rate before they died. In my case, it was some form of necrosis. I pegged it to the LFS water quality. I would be ready to cull a few more if they start acting funny, before the entire tank becomes infected.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Several people have used Paraguard with shrimp without issues... but they've started off at lower doses... i.e. 1/4 or 1/2 dose.

You could also try using indian almond leaves and alder cones - staining the water with tannins. This is supposed to help with bacterial and fungal infections. Banana leaves might be another one? Or maybe it was bamboo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcrafted View Post
Sorry to hear you keep losing those shrimp. I know that the caridinas are very sensitive to water conditions. I think Zoidburg gave some good advice about the tannins. Tannic acid will help lower your pH temporarily. The place I started to purchase Black King Kongs recommend keeping pH between 5-6. Not so much for their preference but to deter diseases.

I imagine it's pretty hard to distinguish disease from parasite on these dwarf shrimp. I many cases, it's too late to treat by the time you notice. I've seen them scurry about sideways and their mouth parts move at an excessive rate before they died. In my case, it was some form of necrosis. I pegged it to the LFS water quality. I would be ready to cull a few more if they start acting funny, before the entire tank becomes infected.
I noticed shrimps very closely and no sign of any issues. However I did something and maybe that caused this? I had a big dense pearlgrass wall which I rooted out. Maybe it disturbed watdrwater chemistry? But they died after one week I rooted out the pear weed.

Also about Paraguard the Seachem guys told me not to use it for Taiwan Bees because they are more sensitive.

My Shrimps never die from molting and pH is 6.5 which I guess is if not very perfect but not bad.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 05:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I wouldn't recommend using Paraguard as a first resort, but people have still used it.... hence why I recommended using IAL, alder cones, and other leaves.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 12:40 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Wbat else are you dosing, excel? glut?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use Seachem excel but very little and also Seachem Flourish comprehensive, Potassium and Iron but very very little.

I ordered dennerle Catappa leaves. I actually don't like too much tanins. Shall I boil before use to relase some tannins?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 05:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You need those tannins *FOR* the shrimp. If they stop dying, then you can remove them, however if they are still dying, then you need them in the tank.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 07:12 AM
Algae Grower

I can report that after 5 daily dosage of paraguard, my adult shrimps were still dying from an unknown cause. I also lost two chili rasbora during the treatment (they went missing, only 4 left.). So I guess paraguard was not a good idea for my tank. Good news is that paraguard and whatever that killed my shrimps don't seem to kill baby shrimps, I saw more and more of them.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
You need those tannins *FOR* the shrimp. If they stop dying, then you can remove them, however if they are still dying, then you need them in the tank.
Thanks a lot. They stopped dying so I just need leaves as a general precaution for next time. What is the best way ti remove those too much tanins? Boiling and if boiling then for how much time? Or like soaking in water for few days before adding them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRaverna View Post
I can report that after 5 daily dosage of paraguard, my adult shrimps were still dying from an unknown cause. I also lost two chili rasbora during the treatment (they went missing, only 4 left.). So I guess paraguard was not a good idea for my tank. Good news is that paraguard and whatever that killed my shrimps don't seem to kill baby shrimps, I saw more and more of them.
Thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode