CRS white turning dull - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Zoidburg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
CRS white turning dull

Hey guys I'm new here! I have some SSS CRS and their white colors have turned a bit dull over the past month that I've had them. It's similar to a yellowing white color, but their tails maintained the crystal white color. They're 1/2 to 1 inch long some still not mature enough to determine whether they're male or female. They were crystal white when I received them in the mail.
I've done a water test and here are my results:
ph: 6.6
gh:8
kh:1
tds:160
temp:73.4f/23c

and food I feed them is Shrimp king complete, SK 5 leaf mix, SK protein, SK mineral and SK snow pops.

Do you think the gh is the culprit or genetics? Any feedback would be appreciated thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1180.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	830818  

-Madrona
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Could be genetics, diet or water parameters. It's typically recommended to keep them in GH of 3-6.

Are you aware of what the "parent colony" CRS appear like? Or what water parameters they were being raised in?
ILikeRice and ILikeRice like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Could be genetics, diet or water parameters. It's typically recommended to keep them in GH of 3-6.

Are you aware of what the "parent colony" CRS appear like? Or what water parameters they were being raised in?
I see.. well Iíve done some water changes with R/O water in this month about 3 times and I know itís slowly brought down the GH but it also lowers the tds so I usually added equilibrium. Unfortunately that raised the gh as well but Iím looking into getting another product to not affect gh too much so Iím exploring what other successful shrimp keepers use.

The parent colony are actually pristine white so Iím not too sure itís the genetics. Would you happen to know any way to bring the gh?

Thanks!

-Madrona

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 05:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)
Older CRS colors would dull as they age but this might not be the case if they are only 1/2" as you said.

I would recommend using a shrimp specific remineralizer such as Salty shrimp GH+ and adjust the gh accordingly. You can lower the gh by either diluting your tank with RO gradually or through water changes.

The shrimp in your photo appears to be a female based on body shape and possible saddle development.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrona View Post
I see.. well Iíve done some water changes with R/O water in this month about 3 times and I know itís slowly brought down the GH but it also lowers the tds so I usually added equilibrium. Unfortunately that raised the gh as well but Iím looking into getting another product to not affect gh too much so Iím exploring what other successful shrimp keepers use.

The parent colony are actually pristine white so Iím not too sure itís the genetics. Would you happen to know any way to bring the gh?

Thanks!
Equilibrium contains a significant amount of Potassium and also contains some micronutrients. Raising TDS is unnecessary - it's a benchmark that is only useful when compared to its previous values in your tank.

On the other hand, Equilibrium does have a good calcium to magnesium ratio, so using it to get your GH to around 4-6 is fine.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode