Amano gone missing after a day :( - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Sarlindescent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Amano gone missing after a day :(

Having a bout of brown alage/diatoms, I took the advice of many and got an Amano shrimp - it literally cleaned up a good bulk of the diatoms in 1 day!! I was flabbergasted at the efficiency, but at the same time deeply saddened that I cannot find the shrimp anywhere after 36 hours or so. Surely, if he was hiding he'd show up by now? I checked the floors and nothing. I have just 5 Neon Tetras and a betta - which at the time didn't care to pay any attention to the shrimp. The shrimp is about 1 inch long as is, so probably that's why it was left alone.

Is there a possibility that the shrimp is indeed been hiding for over 3 days??? I don't know about their behavior since this is the first time I've had a shrimp.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 04:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I've got a 29gal with some denser areas of plants. I at one point had 20+ amano in there but they slowly died off over time until I had 1 remaining. I thought MANY times that it must be dead because I didn't see the little guy for several days. In fact, here just recently I hadn't seen him in a couple weeks until I started yanking plants out and all of a sudden he appeared to check out the detritus I was stirring up. Being clear like they are, they disappear and blend in very well if you have dense foliage.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for sharing - I'm hoping this will be the same case for me too.

Is the natural behavior for the shrimp to like to hide? Does it not like light? I am a bit skeptical that this is the case for me since on day 1, he/she was exploring the entire tank and settling on leaves of my plants. The next morning, it has disappeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
I've got a 29gal with some denser areas of plants. I at one point had 20+ amano in there but they slowly died off over time until I had 1 remaining. I thought MANY times that it must be dead because I didn't see the little guy for several days. In fact, here just recently I hadn't seen him in a couple weeks until I started yanking plants out and all of a sudden he appeared to check out the detritus I was stirring up. Being clear like they are, they disappear and blend in very well if you have dense foliage.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 04:40 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I had 15 in a densely planted 20 gallon aquarium. I would never see more than 2 at a time and sometimes wouldn't see any. When I broke the tank down, come to find out I had 12 left after 1 year. Amanos are notorious for climbing out of tank, and for me behind the stand... Really, until they get huge, if they want to hide, you probably won't see them. My general rule of thumb is if my tank looks clean, they're around somewhere.
karel.brits and karel.brits like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Amano's do like to escape. If it's possible for him to crawl out of the tank, I'd check around the floor in the room you've got the tank in.

75g Tank Journal:

Forest's Edge:
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 03:43 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I had a large Amano , female, who would crawl up out of the tank onto the rim. She would sit there and look at you as if to say " what? I am up here! What are you gonna do about it". I do like to keep my tank full of water at all times so the water level stays consistent. This probably helped her climb up. I wish I took a picture.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have to use a lid on my tank due to them wanting to climb up and down my CO2 tubing and I fear they will make an exit there. I haven't had any escapees during WC yet, because they prefer grazing on the substrate the most. They seem to prefer feeding in open areas often, even with a betta patrolling the waters all day. They have a driftwood tree they chill under at times. Yours could very well be hiding out until it feels safe, or have found a better feeding spot in a denser area. Not sure how big your tank is or how heavily planted it is, but they can be hard to see at times. I constanly lose/find some even in a somewhat open 5 gallon tank.

Mine also get a little nutty when I feed my betta his pellets. They will run upside down along the water line in hopes of snagging a pellet as well as using my nerites and betta as perching points. You could try dropping a pre soaked betta pellet in open area to see if the amano responds. Just be sure to feed the betta at the same time so he doesn't hunt it down.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

amano shrimps are very good hiders
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 06:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcrafted View Post
I have to use a lid on my tank due to them wanting to climb up and down my CO2 tubing and I fear they will make an exit there. I haven't had any escapees during WC yet, because they prefer grazing on the substrate the most. They seem to prefer feeding in open areas often, even with a betta patrolling the waters all day. They have a driftwood tree they chill under at times. Yours could very well be hiding out until it feels safe, or have found a better feeding spot in a denser area. Not sure how big your tank is or how heavily planted it is, but they can be hard to see at times. I constanly lose/find some even in a somewhat open 5 gallon tank.

Mine also get a little nutty when I feed my betta his pellets. They will run upside down along the water line in hopes of snagging a pellet as well as using my nerites and betta as perching points. You could try dropping a pre soaked betta pellet in open area to see if the amano responds. Just be sure to feed the betta at the same time so he doesn't hunt it down.
No sheet. I have one in a 2 gallon temporarily lightly planted baby betta tank to clean up some algae and it usually takes a good 15-20 seconds of moving myself in all sorts of angle before I can find it.

Bump: But yes, make sure to have a lid. They are great climbers.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 04:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
I've got the same situation, currently. I have a 15 gallon planted not very densely at all, yet I can't find the 3 amano's I got a few days ago. I was given the tip to come and look for them at night, but I don't see them even then. I've got a piece of wood that they can hide under and 1 ornament that they can hide inside so they're probably there. No shrimps around the outside of the tank. It's a shame because we love to watch shrimp do their work during the day and we never see them!

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 06:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Amano gone missing after a day 😞

I had 3 amanos in my 8gallon and within 3 days they had all disappeared. I found one of them dried up on the floor a few days later! Apparently they don't like Flourish Excel which is why they crawled out

ADA mini M low tech with Cherry Shrimp and Dwarf Puffers

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode