2Likes
  • 1 Post By KeyeNewen
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Glassgarten Bacter Ae. please advise.

I am thinking to use this food as according to my research it creates bio film which shrimps graze on and it is essential for baby survival rate as well.

However, I am not sure how this food works. I did see videos and read but still not sure. Its in powder form so when I put this in my tank wouldn't it make water cloudy and I will see floating granules in water or will it settle down and water will be clear again? Please also mention your experience with this food if you have used it in past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 08:45 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Its cloudy for a bit, but settles down pretty quickly in my tank. I usually mix it with tank water then pour it in or it likes to just stick on the water surface. I haven't done side by side comparisons, but I seem to see more survival stages of juveniles (from tiny to mature) when I'm consistent about feeding with it. And my shrimp sometimes like to graze around where it settles. My tank is overstuffed with frog bit and the roots catch a lot of the bacter ae.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 10:18 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I usually mix it in a small squirt bottle using RO water, then squirt the solution in my tank. If you just take a little scoop and dump directly into the tank, it tends to just float on the surface. If does make the water a little cloudy but once it settles to the bottom it's okay. I use 1/3 recommended dosage.
crcarlsontech likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintgum View Post
Its cloudy for a bit, but settles down pretty quickly in my tank. I usually mix it with tank water then pour it in or it likes to just stick on the water surface. I haven't done side by side comparisons, but I seem to see more survival stages of juveniles (from tiny to mature) when I'm consistent about feeding with it. And my shrimp sometimes like to graze around where it settles. My tank is overstuffed with frog bit and the roots catch a lot of the bacter ae.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyeNewen View Post
I usually mix it in a small squirt bottle using RO water, then squirt the solution in my tank. If you just take a little scoop and dump directly into the tank, it tends to just float on the surface. If does make the water a little cloudy but once it settles to the bottom it's okay. I use 1/3 recommended dosage.
Thanks a lot guys. So how often you feed it? I mean I am not sure.

How much dose is for a nano six gallon tank?

Also I feed them solid food. Shall I feed solid less if I use Bacter Ae? Please let me know your solid feeling schedule with Bacter Ae use.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 04:58 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I use GlasGarten Shrimp Baby more than Bacter AE because all my shrimps (babies and adults) swarms to it more. I only use Bacter AE once every few weeks. One scoop into little squirt 2oz bottle. I divide that between 3 tanks (5g, and two 3.7g). I have about 100 shrimps in the 5gallons and about 30 shrimps in each 3.7gallons.

Still growing...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Can anyone please tell me dosing schedule of Bacter Ae and quantity for a five six gallon nano tank.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 08:35 PM
Algae Grower

Glassgarten says to use 1 measuring spoon (provided with food) per 30gal, daily.

I love Bacter AE and believe itís a great supplement to your regular shrimp diet...but not as a primary food.

I add a great deal less than instructed however. I add 1/2 spoon to my tank (20 gal with ~200 Sakura Reds) twice a week.

I feed GlasGarten Shrimp Dinner two/three time a week.

I allow the shrimp to graze on algae, Cholla Wood, and Indian Almond Leaves for the remainder of the days.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquascaper101 View Post
Glassgarten says to use 1 measuring spoon (provided with food) per 30gal, daily.

I love Bacter AE and believe itís a great supplement to your regular shrimp diet...but not as a primary food.

I add a great deal less than instructed however. I add 1/2 spoon to my tank (20 gal with ~200 Sakura Reds) twice a week.

I feed GlasGarten Shrimp Dinner two/three time a week.

I allow the shrimp to graze on algae, Cholla Wood, and Indian Almond Leaves for the remainder of the days.
Thanks. Your Tds doesn't increase too much by adding more Bacter Ae?

So its difficult to measure really for 6 gallon. Its like a pinch or two maybe?

Also I was gonna shrimp dinner too. How is your experience with it. Is it a good staple food?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 08:06 PM
Algae Grower

i dump the powder into an empty water bottle, ad a few turkey baster squirts of aquarium water, shake it up real good and then pour it into my tanks. i use ~ 3/4 scoop and divide the shaken water bottle contents between a 10 gal, 20 gal, and a 5 gal. i just sort of eyeball the amounts. I have some shrimp but i mostly add it to help with biofilm for my otos.

tomorrow we could all be arrested, tomorrow we could all die
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 11:34 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I might use about 5% of the suggested feeding amount. Folks on this forum have had tank wipe outs using the full scoop on 30 gallon tanks if I'm not mistaken. The serving spoon provided is absurdly huge in my opinion. I use about 10% the 30 gallon spoon to feed two 125 gallon tanks and four 20 gallon tanks. A little dab'll do ya.
Zoidburg likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode