Concerned about a snail epidemic - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Concerned about a snail epidemic

Hello everyone! This is my first post on this site and I would like to say that it has been helpful thus far; perhaps you could directly assist me.

I am currently setting up a 30g planted tank which is cycling at the moment. I bought some new plants for it yesterday, but today I woke up and noticed a single snail on the glass. I've heard some horror stories about snails completely destroying tanks so I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned. If there's one, there's probably a few so should I take the offensive and set lettuce traps down or should I let them be. Also, if I let them be does their presence outweigh the threat of a full scale pandemic?

I've also heard fancy goldfish can swallow snails and I do plan on the tank housing two. Is this true? If you want I could post a picture of my setup.

Thank you kindly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 05:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
If you're worried, squish it and set food traps, yeah. Look for clear globs with dots in them- snail eggs- and remove those. I have got pond snails in my tanks a few times and simply by removing what snails/eggs as soon as I see them, I never have a huge outbreak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 05:51 PM
Algae Grower

There are benefits of having snails, I understand where your coming from. My first tank had 2 gold snails (No idea what they are called) and they were always on top of each other. I later found what looked like beehives above my water line and was like WTF is that? Come to find out.. an a$$ ton of snail eggs.

Whenever I see them I just crunch them with my tweezers. Im not having that s#!t again, especially in my high tech tank.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 05:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

Snails destroying tanks? Never heard of such a thing. Impellers maybe.

Snails can only exist if there is something for them to eat. The common snails that show up in planted tanks do not eat living plants, only extra food, dying plant leaves, and detritus. There is a carrying capacity for each individual tank and they cannot multiply beyond it. If you feel you have too many snails, all you have to do is feed less and prune a bit more. I've never understood why some are so dead-set against snails when they can be so beneficial and fascinating to watch.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbytes View Post
Snails destroying tanks? Never heard of such a thing. Impellers maybe.

Snails can only exist if there is something for them to eat. The common snails that show up in planted tanks do not eat living plants, only extra food, dying plant leaves, and detritus. There is a carrying capacity for each individual tank and they cannot multiply beyond it. If you feel you have too many snails, all you have to do is feed less and prune a bit more. I've never understood why some are so dead-set against snails when they can be so beneficial and fascinating to watch.
It's not so much that I'm against them, but rather I wouldn't really enjoy waking up one day to see hundreds of these tiny invaders. Maybe I'm over reacting a bit, I currently don't have any fish (so no food) and there isn't any visible algae so I can't possibly imagine what they'd eat. I personally don't plan on over feeding my fish anyway since doing that with goldfish may not be a good idea (large waste producers). If the snails won't just multiply out of the clear blue sky then I'd be more accepting of their presence. Thank you for your input.

Also I'm pretty sure the snail I seen was the Malaysian Trumpet (had a spiral shell).
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If the shell is a round spiral, it's probably a ramshorn. The only time i didn't like snails in my tank was when I suddenly had lots of baby ramshorns. I took pains to pick them all out- and later found out the tank they showed up in had a problem with detrius buildup under the substrate...

Malaysian trumpet snails are pointy, like a narrow cone shape.

|
|
|
|
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
If the shell is a round spiral, it's probably a ramshorn. The only time i didn't like snails in my tank was when I suddenly had lots of baby ramshorns..
Same experience. Any snail were welcome, never got out of control. The tiny Ramshorn seem to break the rules.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Tanks with snail problems are tanks that are being overfed.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
If the shell is a round spiral, it's probably a ramshorn. The only time i didn't like snails in my tank was when I suddenly had lots of baby ramshorns. I took pains to pick them all out- and later found out the tank they showed up in had a problem with detrius buildup under the substrate...

Malaysian trumpet snails are pointy, like a narrow cone shape.
Thankfully it isn't the Ramshorn. It has a spiral cone shape shell so I'm pretty sure it's a Trumpet snail. For now I'm just going to monitor their presence. If they start to multiply I'll set traps.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Like these? Add a couple of assassins now and they'll help to keep the numbers down. (yes, I know I over feed a bit) This is just a 20g tank. My 40b is pretty much under control because of the assassins I've added - over 20+. But I keep losing the assassins. I also had a dozen or more in this tank, but it's slow going toward eradication. I wouldn't wait until you have a problem - but maybe you won't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MTS 033016.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	788698  

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Tanks with snail problems are tanks that are being overfed.
I generally agree, but these tiny ramshorn are in my grow out tanks that don't have any livestock and there is no algae issues. They are mutants.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 08:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Another critter I discovered when it comes to snail control or possible eradication are pea puffers. They are great for the bladder snails. The only issue is they tend to nibble on other fishes tail. They took out most of the adult snails in one of my tank so I'm pretty sure all the snails are gone.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode