Shrimp Project - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I agree 100%. I will start off with neo's or and tigers as I am not looking for a headache chasing parameters. Keeping it simple to start with.

Again everyones input is highly appreciated! Your getting me on the right track.

So my tap, neo's and or tigers, and i am going with an inert substrate dosing salty shrimp mineral gh/kh? Or just gh + that will keep my ph at 7.4-7.5.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Be careful of which neos you get, some will crossbreed with another.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 09:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

With 3 KH, you really only need GH+ minerals. Get them up to 6-8 GH and it'll be fine for Neos. ph should be right around 7.5, unless there's any driftwood, leaves or other things in the tank that could lower pH, but as long as the KH and GH are fine, it shouldn't be that big of an issue if the pH is a bit lower.

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highseq View Post
Haha. Home sweet home :p

So close to hell you can see Sparks . Stole that from the classic rock radio station lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zoidburg and Zoidburg like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 11:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you really were stuck on wanting Caridina's like CRS it is doable but you would need a RO unit. Could get a portable one like I got($60) and mix part tap with part RO. I only need 5 gallons of RO water max a week and let it age with the tap in a bin during the week. With inert substrate you want some KH like 2 to keep the PH from swinging. Then you can remineralize with a gh mineralizer like Salty Shrimp GH+. I use inert BDBS as my substrate. Remember lowering your KH will also lower your PH getting you closer to low 7's which depending on where you get your CRS from may work. My CRS came from a PH of 7.4. The PH I keep them in is 7.2(co2 off) which drops to 6.6'ish with 15ppm co2 each day. Key is good surface movement which gives good o2. Make sure the tank is properly cycled and keep the Temp between 70-75(no higher than 75) and the GH between 4-6. Also keep the nitrates low with max of 10ppm. Really once you get the hang of it, is quite simple and very rewarding. In fact my CRS I have a few berried and one just had babies. Not recommend as a first shrimp to care for but I took the challenge and so far is paying off.
Dfish2020 and Dfish2020 like this.

post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
If you really were stuck on wanting Caridina's like CRS it is doable but you would need a RO unit. Could get a portable one like I got($60) and mix part tap with part RO. I only need 5 gallons of RO water max a week and let it age with the tap in a bin during the week. With inert substrate you want some KH like 2 to keep the PH from swinging. Then you can remineralize with a gh mineralizer like Salty Shrimp GH+. I use inert BDBS as my substrate. Remember lowering your KH will also lower your PH getting you closer to low 7's which depending on where you get your CRS from may work. My CRS came from a PH of 7.4. The PH I keep them in is 7.2(co2 off) which drops to 6.6'ish with 15ppm co2 each day. Key is good surface movement which gives good o2. Make sure the tank is properly cycled and keep the Temp between 70-75(no higher than 75) and the GH between 4-6. Also keep the nitrates low with max of 10ppm. Really once you get the hang of it, is quite simple and very rewarding. In fact my CRS I have a few berried and one just had babies. Not recommend as a first shrimp to care for but I took the challenge and so far is paying off.
Cardinas are a nice looking species. But think i will get my feet wet with neo's. Different morphs, tank specific morphs. Tap water,with only needing gh+ just sounds doable. As I progress threw the ups and downs of this neo project I should come out with enough experience to manage crystals and higher grades if I wish to get that deep into this.

Whats the name of the r/o unit ? I would like to research the unit for future reference. I looked on amazon most are not portable and are around 160.00.

No adverse affect on the shrimp with co2 and the fluctuating ph caused by the co2?

Since nitrate was mentioned i should mention nitrate comes stock in my tap, about 10 ppm.. is this as conerncing for neo's as well. ?

What I'm trying to dial in now my planted tank is the kno3 dosage as my tap does have 10ppm of nitrate with e.i daily dosage my nitrate is high by the end of the week... oto's are did not like that high nitrate.

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My planted tank. Need to find a big bushy plant to fill in the left. Peferably a brownish/dark red like to match the far right plants.

post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeasianbooty View Post
Be careful of which neos you get, some will crossbreed with another.
Funny handle.

Do you keep shrimp? What kind do you got ?

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Shrimp Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfish2020 View Post
Cardinas are a nice looking species. But think i will get my feet wet with neo's. Different morphs, tank specific morphs. Tap water,with only needing gh+ just sounds doable. As I progress threw the ups and downs of this neo project I should come out with enough experience to manage crystals and higher grades if I wish to get that deep into this.

Whats the name of the r/o unit ? I would like to research the unit for future reference. I looked on amazon most are not portable and are around 160.00.

No adverse affect on the shrimp with co2 and the fluctuating ph caused by the co2?

Since nitrate was mentioned i should mention nitrate comes stock in my tap, about 10 ppm.. is this as conerncing for neo's as well. ?

What I'm trying to dial in now my planted tank is the kno3 dosage as my tap does have 10ppm of nitrate with e.i daily dosage my nitrate is high by the end of the week... oto's are did not like that high nitrate.

No adverse effects at all. Started off with just 20 CRS and now 4 berried. One just had babies. They only breed if they are comfortable. Key is good surface movement which gives more o2. I only do 15ppm co2 and none mind at all. Would not do 30ppm though.

RO unit was just $60. Having soft water makes it last longer without having to change filters. My tds still reads 0-1 with about 200 gallons through the unit thus far.
0PPM Portable 50 GPD Reverse Osmosis RO+DI Filtration POQ-4B-50 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GJCE2X4..._6nKJzbD1KFAWT

Am very happy with it so far. Simply connect to faucet and good to go. Fills 5 gallons in less than 3 hours. Perfect for my needs. Get a tds meter. This will tell you when you need to change the filters. Mine still read 0-1 tds which is great.

Just prep the water ahead of time. Tds meter is so handy. Once you figure out the ratio of gh and kh. A simple tds reading will tell you what your kh and gh is

Again not recommending at all to go directly to CRS but if you understand what you need to it's really not hard.

ILikeRice and ILikeRice like this.

post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Shrimp Project

And what I mean by knowing what your gh and kh are by a tds reading is simple. First get the ratio you need for good parameters. Then fill the bin/bucket with the RO and tap mix. Then remineralize. Take gh and kh measurements. Add minerals till you get perfect say in your case gh of 5 and kh of 2. Mark on the bin say how full for just tap and the rest RO. Then take a tds reading if you are at your desired gh and kh. Then You know how much tap and RO to add. And how much minerals to add which gives you a certain tds. Say in this case you get a tds of 110 for a gh of 5 and kh of 2. Then you know as long as you added the same amount of tap and RO in bin and same amount of gh once you hit the tds of 110 you are good. No need to take gh and kh measurements again but a simple tds reading. Sorry probably rambled on and hard to follow since drinking now lol. But make sense? It must since it does to me haha.

post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
And what I mean by knowing what your gh and kh are by a tds reading is simple. First get the ratio you need for good parameters. Then fill the bin/bucket with the RO and tap mix. Then remineralize. Take gh and kh measurements. Add minerals till you get perfect say in your case gh of 5 and kh of 2. Mark on the bin say how full for just tap and the rest RO. Then take a tds reading if you are at your desired gh and kh. Then You know how much tap and RO to add. And how much minerals to add which gives you a certain tds. Say in this case you get a tds of 110 for a gh of 5 and kh of 2. Then you know as long as you added the same amount of tap and RO in bin and same amount of gh once you hit the tds of 110 you are good. No need to take gh and kh measurements again but a simple tds reading. Sorry probably rambled on and hard to follow since drinking now lol. But make sense? It must since it does to me haha.

Haha. Cheers! It makes perfect sense! Your really have me thinking about that r/o unit. Heck only 60.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Haha. Cheers! It makes perfect sense! Your really have me thinking about that r/o unit. Heck only 60.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

I feel you only need an expensive unit if you are needing a lot of water on hand and the water going through it is hard and dirty. By only needing a little and having soft water the unit will last a lot longer and not need new filters for a long while. Like I said 200+ gallons so far and still a tds of 1 or less. You do the math if even 10 gallons is needed a week.

post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Remember the most important thing with these guys is stability. Get them in their comfort zone and keep them there as close as possible. Water changes should consist of the same parameters and temp as close as possible. They hate change and the fastest way to wipe a tank is by shocking them. Keep them in range and you will see a thriving happy colony of Shrimp.

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Funny handle.

Do you keep shrimp? What kind do you got ?

Dream Blue velvets

Hopefully in the future ill have extreme or high grade Blue bolts, they really do look spectacular.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeasianbooty View Post
Dream Blue velvets

Hopefully in the future ill have extreme or high grade Blue bolts, they really do look spectacular.
Where did you get your blue velvets from ? What's your tap vs tank water parameters ?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode